Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Convert .ADF Files back to my old amiga 500  (Read 3394 times)

Description:

Convert .ADF Files back to my old amiga 500
« on: March 19, 2003, 10:53:05 AM »
frank_van_der_geld@hotmail.com

I'm having problems with converting adf files back to a bootable amiga disk. Is this posible to do this on a pc??? Somehow put some of these old games back on disks, this also includes the formatting of disks on my Pc. Is there a way to do this.

Offline Godfather

• Show only replies by Godfather
Re: Convert .ADF Files back to my old amiga 500
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2003, 10:59:05 AM »
Aloha,

Well, no.

There is no possible way to format an Amiga floppy on a PeeCee....BUT....

If you have a Catweasel controller it might be. (very very expensive !!)

The shortest way for you is a null modem , and running terminal apps. on the Amiga and the PeeCee. Xfer the ADF to the Amiga (which needs at least WB 1.3)

It's simple and you can even use a low life 486 for that matter...

Cheers !!  :-D
\\"Pure happiness is being loved for who you are. Maybe it is better to say : DESPITE who you are....\\"

-Victor Hugo

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2003, 11:00:40 AM »
No, not without special hardware.

If you manage to transfer the adf to your amiga (via serial, ethernet, IDE hd, CrossDOS or whatever), you can write them to floppy on the amiga itself.

Offline duesi

• Show only replies by duesi
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2003, 11:02:18 AM »
You can use MS-DOS 720KB Disks and Crossdos on the A500 to transfer the .adf and write it to the 880KB Format on the Amiga (transdisk, yadi, etc.)

Or you can buy a Catweasel for the PC
A4000D CS060/MKII with SCSI, CV64/4MB, 128MB Fast, ACARD AEC-7720U SCSI-IDE,80GB Samsung HDD, Yamaha CDRW, XSurf2, OS3.9BB2
A500,1MB Chip Kick1.3/3.1,GVP A500+ 540MB HDD and 8MB Fast,GVP DSS 8Bit Sampler

Offline Quixote

• Show only replies by Quixote
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2003, 11:04:52 AM »
Diablo doubted:
I'm having problems with converting adf files back to a bootable amiga disk. Is this posible to do this on a pc?
:-( In a word, no.   The PCs floppy controller cannot read / write to Amiga formatted floppies, (unless you haave a new Catweasle controller, which is supposed to allow this.) -and the program that converts .adf files back into disks is an Amgia program, though PC versions are theoreticaly possible.

;-) Your best bet is to use an Amiga to do the conversion.

Offline Piru

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2003, 11:08:56 AM »
and the program that converts .adf files back into disks is an Amgia program, though PC versions are theoreticaly possible.

This is not a problem, if the disk writing works (Catweasel for example), you can use any disk image writer (dd or rawrite for example). ADF is just 1:1 disk image, no conversion of any kind is needed.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2003, 11:14:54 AM »
In a word, no. The PCs floppy controller cannot read / write to Amiga formatted floppies, (unless you haave a new Catweasle controller, which is supposed to allow this.) -and the program that converts .adf files back into disks is an Amgia program, though PC versions are theoreticaly possible.

Disk2FDI.exe allows the PC floppy drive controller to read an Amiga disk, and make and ADF of the disk.

But you are quite right, to write an Amiga disk, you need an amiga (or catweasle blah blah...)

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2003, 11:17:39 AM »

Piru wrote:
and the program that converts .adf files back into disks is an Amgia program, though PC versions are theoreticaly possible.

This is not a problem, if the disk writing works (Catweasel for example), you can use any disk image writer (dd or rawrite for example). ADF is just 1:1 disk image, no conversion of any kind is needed.

I have tried, and dd/rawrite cannot write Amiga disks from an ADF. It is a drive controler problem.

Offline Piru

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2003, 11:20:52 AM »
if the disk writing works (Catweasel for example)

Of course it does not work with the standard pc controller!

Offline NuPraptor

• Show only replies by NuPraptor
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2003, 02:29:32 PM »
Hi there,

I had the same problem and if you use the nullmodem-possibility you will have to have either approx. 2 Megs of Ram or a HDD in your A500.

If you don't have this things then there is only one way to convert ADFs back, but you need:

Amiga 500 with 1 Meg of RAM and a second FDD
ADF-SPLIT on your MS-Dos Machine
transdisk on Amiga-Disk
dos2dos on Amiga-Disk

Procedure follows:
first, create a startup-disk for your amiga which automatically copies transdisk and dos2dos to RAM: and opens two shell windows.

once you got this, you can start to split ADFs with ADF-SPLIT on your PC, simple start the program and enter the name of the ADF you want to split. The program will split the ADF into two parts with the extension .1 and .2, so that you can copy it to two 720 KB DD-disks.

When you have done that, insert the first disk into DF1: of your A500 and copy the file to RAM: using DOS2DOS-Shellwindow:

COPY DF1:Part.1 to RAM:part1.adf
(Attention: extension of destination file in RAM MUST BE ADF, or transdisk will report an error).

Then insert an empty Disk into DF0:, switch to second shell window and use transdisk as follows:

transdisk -w RAM:part1.adf -s 0 -e 39

Option s is the starting track, e is for endtrack.
For the second part of the ADF repeat this procedure after you deleted part1.adf from RAM: again (otherwise you will run out of memory... just type delete RAM:part1.adf in the shellwindow running dos2dos, done), but enter s 40 and e 79 for start and end of tracks to write, done ! Disk ist ready to use...

This method will cost you about 10-12 minutes per disk (if you have created a good startdisk) and a common used configuration of A500 (1 additional Drive and 1 MB RAM), nothing else,the programs should be ready for download in the net (I'm at work right now and will write another reply with the links today evening)

Greetings
NuPraptor  :-D

Offline NuPraptor

• Show only replies by NuPraptor
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2003, 07:04:39 PM »
Hi there again,

here are the URLs where you can download the programs I mentoined above:

adf-split (to use on your pc for splitting adfs):

http://aod64.rockz.org/Querdenker/

transdisk (to use on A500 to write adf-parts to disk):

http://homepage.uibk.ac.at/homepage/c725/c72578/amiga/