Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Where to get new Workbench in Australia?  (Read 1466 times)

Description:

Where to get new Workbench in Australia?
« on: March 05, 2003, 05:44:53 AM »
Hello people , I've just bought my first amiga (1200HD/40) and know very little about it. Hmm, I'm running Workbench 3.0 , and I think it doesn't look too good. I think it's the one which came with the unit origionally.  What are my options in regard to updating it?, How much does a newer/newest version cost? and is there some where in Australia that I could get a hold of it?.  My amiga has an accelerator (CSA Twelve Guage) with 16 megs of RAM. Also a 200meg HD.
 Do the newer WB look much better? I just find it a little bit hard to read the text on a Tv with the one I'm using now.
If there is a place to download a newer WB, could I do it some how using my PC?

Thanks,
Pete :-?

Offline Methuselas

• Show only replies by Methuselas
Re: Where to get new Workbench in Australia?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2003, 05:53:45 AM »
Find a local distributor and order OS3.9 and the 3.1 Rom upgrade.

With what you have, it's worth spending the money for all the flashy colors, bells and whistles. I give credit to H&P on that one.

However that's nothing compared to what I expect from Hyperion.
 :-D
\'Using no way as way. Having no limitation as limitation.\' - Bruce Lee

\'No, sorry. I don\'t get my tits out. They\'re not actually real, you know? Just two halves of a grapefruit...\' - Miki Berenyi

\'Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.\' - Dark Helmet :roflmao:

\'And for future reference, it might be polite to ask someone if you can  quote them in your signature, rather than just citing them to make a  sales pitch.\' - Karlos. :rtf

Offline Bodie

• Show only replies by Bodie
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2003, 05:58:46 AM »
@pete_pumpkin

Not sure if there is any retailer in SA, but I usually get all my Amiga products from AnythingAmiga.  Excellent service.  The website is here:

AnythingAmiga.com

Cheers
 :pint:

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2003, 05:59:34 AM »
Ok no worries, uhm I posted a 'introductory' post  introducing me and my amiga in the Hardware section, and somebody mentioned that some accelerators might not work with the newer ROM; and by ROM is that more software or achip? (oh duhhh)  Have you heard of anything like this?  :-o  :-?  :-o

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2003, 06:19:31 AM »
Grrr, the costs do add up. How can I check wether I have the 3.1 ROMs installed without opening up the unit?

Pete

Offline ACEFNQ

• Show only replies by ACEFNQ
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2003, 06:51:17 AM »
Try GSOFT at Anderson Walk, Smithfield (SA).  They used to be Amiga distributors and still carry some lines and still do  repairs.   Steve is also keen to distribute the A1 when it is ready.

Offline SirStimpalot

• Show only replies by SirStimpalot
    • http://www.netspace.net.au/~smolarcz/
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2003, 06:55:56 AM »
@pete_pumpkin

On your Workbench screen, select the "About" item in the "Workbench"  menu. Here you'll see revision numbers for both your Kickstart (the ROM chip), as well as for Workbench itself. A 40.68* revision means that you have the 3.1 ROM chip, a lower number being 3.0.

Also worth a look for places to buy software is Amiga Innovations. That's a West Australian-based mail order business. I've ordered there before and found the service pretty good.

*I'm sure someone will let me know if I'm wrong, I think this is the revision which a 3.1 A1200 will report. I myself have an A4000, so can't check for sure. As I recall the 3.1 chips themselves are different (eg support for PCMCIA slot on the A1200), but report the same revision.

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2003, 06:57:33 AM »
Oh yeah :-D  I've been there (Gsoft) before when I bought my PC case and a network lead. I shall have to pop in there :)
Thanks

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2003, 07:12:51 AM »
It seems that I have the 3.00 ROM.
I also looked in the configuration folder and came up with this:

CPU 68030/68030mmu
Custom Chips AA PAL Alice, Lisa
Kickstart Ver 39.106, Exec ver 39.47, Disk ver 39.29

That's still ok tho? Any idea what the highest WB I could use with the 3.0 ROM ?

Pete

Offline alx

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2003, 07:54:49 AM »
AFAIK 3.0 ROM will not run the "new" AmigaOS's - ie 3.5/3.9.  If you cannot get a 3.1 ROM at the moment, you could at least try downloading a few patches like NewIcons, that will make it look a lot better.

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2003, 08:03:27 AM »
Could A500 use newer ROMS?, If so maybe I could checkout some units at my local 'Cash convertors'(pawn brokers) and cross my fingers :0)

I'm using my PC for the net, and have no idea at all on how to hook up the amiga to it; and I guess I'd need a web browser etc to get on the net :(

Pete

Offline tonyw

• Show only replies by tonyw
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2003, 08:57:29 AM »
Don't waste your money on an A500. For the same cost you could get a set of 3.1 ROMs for your 1200.

The 1200 has the 68020 processor, which you must have to run WB3.5 or 3.9. The old 500 has only a 68000 and won't run anything past 3.1

tony

Offline Ni72ous

• Show only replies by Ni72ous
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2003, 10:29:40 AM »
@ pete_pumpkin

What are my options in regard to updating it?

Check over your "totally new to amiga" post, someone mentioned a bug in the CSA card you have that stops it working with anything above 3.0 roms, so u will need to get a different card to use 3.1 roms
Ni72ous

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2003, 10:54:35 AM »
I'm sort of getting used to this workbench :)
I've been playing around with the coverdisks I've got and I'm sort of learning heaps of new stuff. I think I've got that 'directory opus' program down packed, I've worked out how to copy files onto my HD etc. It's getting a bit more fun now that I sort of know what I'm doing  :-D
When I picked up the unit I got a 'burnt' disk full of games. I'm really hoping I'll be able to connect a CDROM to the unit. One thing at a time tho.

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2003, 08:58:13 PM »
While there are 3.1 ROM chips for instance the A500, an A1200 will only accept A1200 ROM chips (even the data is different - A500 has less hardware).