Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Ubuntu Mystery
Ubuntu Mystery
Previous Image | Next Image
Description: I'm trying to install a driver and program so as to be able to use a PC Video capture card with my recent installation of Ubuntu, and for some strange reason, Amiga MOD files showed up in a folder with the driver?? Is this some weird practical joke on the part of the programmer?
Picture Stats:
Views: 1212
Filesize: 70.27kB
Height: 768 Width: 1024
Posted by: Amiduffer at August 07, 2008, 12:48:39 AM

Image Linking Codes
BB Code

Comments (7)

Floid
January 09, 2009, 06:02:10 AM
Heh, just noticed this.  Congrats on the Los Gatos pictures, by the way!

GNOME (particularly Nautilus, and presumably by extension File-Roller) uses a couple mechanisms to determine filetype:

* Dumb extension-parsing (presumably based on /etc/mime.types or a per-user copy)
* `file` magic-string matching (/etc/magic)
* forced mimetype information squirrelled into a .desktop file or somewhere

Since File-Roller is dealing with archives, it's probably just looking at the extension without extracting enough to run `file` against; getting the directory of an archive is often a lot less expensive than unpacking the whole archive!

Nautilus itself can be a little funnier; while it would seem to make sense to just run `file` against all items in a directory, this caused a lot of pain for people with large directories or network mounts.  At some point they switched to trusting the extension until the file is actually opened or the properties examined (and/or "Properties" would return the `file` reality without Nautilus's icon and association updating).  I've noticed this changed again recently and haven't quite figured out what the new algorithm is -- though I think the idea they're approaching is to use extensions for a quick preview when providing the listing, then use `file` as a last-ditch sanity check when you actually go to 'open' the object.
echweesnet
August 08, 2008, 07:32:54 AM
@tokyoracer
out of a formatdescription of a standart mod file:

{
- Seek to offset 1080 (438h) in the file
- read in 4 bytes
-           compare them to "M.K."  - if true we have a 4 channel mod
- otherwise compare them to "6CHN"  - if true we have a 6 channel mod
- otherwise compare them to "8CHN"  - if true we have an 8 channel mod
- otherwise exit and display error message.
}

So the header alone is 1080+4 bytes and thats without any samples or patterns.
DBAlex
August 07, 2008, 04:39:30 PM
@tokyoracer

Yeah but there most likely driver files/binaries, IIRC AROS uses .mod for libraries too.
tokyoracer
August 07, 2008, 04:25:52 PM
Double post, sorry.
tokyoracer
August 07, 2008, 04:25:14 PM
They arn't too small for MOD tunes.
derringer3
August 07, 2008, 08:44:56 AM
why too small? Chiptunes rulez! :-D
Piru
August 07, 2008, 03:01:17 AM
No, it's some totally lame filetype detection that assumes .mod-files are amiga modules. All of those files are too small to be amiga mods anyway.