Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: /  (Read 4899 times)

Description:

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
Enter The Sandman
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2008, 11:09:44 PM »
We had the Red, then the Black, then the Blue, now entering into the ring, the gold.  I've been told to expect the first WIP ISOs around the New Year.  I'm hoping it will be both x86 and PPC.  2009 should be a very interesting year for the Amiga community. :popcorn:

Dammy
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline Amithony

• Show only replies by Amithony
Re: Enter The Sandman
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2008, 11:35:02 PM »

dammy wrote:
2009 should be a very interesting year for the Amiga community.

Every year is more interesting than the last. I find it fascinating how many swings and round abouts the technology goes through. One thing is for sure though, if Microsoft do not address the performance issues in its operating systems, we may well see the resurgence of the players like the Macs and Amigas. It's happening already, but Amiga needs to step up to the plate to make hay while the sun is shining, otherwise, we will be reading about how good the Amiga always was and emulating it on our new intel machines :)

Offline kolla

Re: Why are we at war?
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2008, 12:24:43 AM »

bloodline wrote:

kolla wrote:

Lorraine wrote:
My question is why are there so many camps in the Amiga scene (when we're not really that big anyway) and why are we at war with each other?

Though this isn't to debate the issues that get us seemingly worked up, just why those issues exist in the first place.

This is like asking why there isnt peace in the middle east when they all worship the same god anyhow.

People who crave power lives off these wars, it's what gives them power. They can dictate the truth, create a following and eventually clash into open war with other groups. Split and rule.

I dont know much about the red camp, but in the blue camp they seem more keen on ridiculing the red camp than talking about their own problems. For example, in the SAM440 thread, bluecampers join in to ridicule both OS4 and SAM - en masse. What for? To show off their elitism ofcourse. Or do you really they care about what other people use their money on? I doubt it.

They keep pointing to various hardware that would be or is better/cheaper than SAM440 and say aCube should rather build something like that. Well, gee - so should Genesi. Yet we dont see the bluecampers raving around about the lack of products from Genesi/bPlan. Why not?

IMO the blue side should just STFU regarding OS4 and related issues, and rather focus on their own problems. The red camp I dont know so well, as blue camp hangaround I've only gotten to know the redcampers as dumbwits and children...  :roll:

:roflmao: The Ironing in your post is delicious... I hope it was deliberate!

Ironing?
No, I meant every word, irony is wasted on the stupid.
B5D6A1D019D5D45BCC56F4782AC220D8B3E2A6CC
---
A3000/060CSPPC+CVPPC/128MB + 256MB BigRAM/Deneb USB
A4000/CS060/Mediator4000Di/Voodoo5/128MB
A1200/Blz1260/IndyAGA/192MB
A1200/Blz1260/64MB
A1200/Blz1230III/32MB
A1200/ACA1221
A600/V600v2/Subway USB
A600/Apollo630/32MB
A600/A6095
CD32/SX32/32MB/Plipbox
CD32/TF328
A500/V500v2
A500/MTec520
CDTV
MiSTer, MiST, FleaFPGAs and original Minimig
Peg1, SAM440 and Mac minis with MorphOS

Offline dammy

« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2008, 12:25:25 AM »
Every year is more interesting than the last. I find it fascinating how many swings and round abouts the technology goes through. One thing is for sure though, if Microsoft do not address the performance issues in its operating systems, we may well see the resurgence of the players like the Macs and Amigas. It's happening already, but Amiga needs to step up to the plate to make hay while the sun is shining, otherwise, we will be reading about how good the Amiga always was and emulating it on our new intel machines :)

:lol: Ah, remember hearing something like that back in the late 1990s as I was giving up on my trusty old Amiga and going to x86 Linux.  In a couple of months, or less, the nightmare for red, black and blue may come to reality. Go Dr.Schulz, go! :devildance:

Dammy
http://anubis-os.org/
Dammy

Offline Tempest

• Show only replies by Tempest
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2008, 12:43:40 AM »

Amithony wrote:

dammy wrote:
2009 should be a very interesting year for the Amiga community.

Really?

Joe 'the computer user' doesn't give a sh*t about Amiga, most people don't even remember it. Amiga like OS's like MorphOS, Aros and OS4 just don't have the apps, hardware or stability to satisfy most users. This isn't going to change in the near future with only a few active users (a couple of thousend).

There's nothing these OS's have to offer at the moment. Don't even start about bootup time (most favorite amongst Amiga users), my 6 year old Linux box (AMD 2500) boots up in just 35 seconds and system performance is very fast with a highly tweaked Debian 'unstable' netinstall and Awesome as window manager.

The only OS's that could profit from a possible downfall of Windows are MacOS and Linux but I don't see Windows dissapear in the near future (Windows 7 is just around the corner).

Just face it, Amiga like OS's are just for hobby and aren't going to be mainstream ever again. The competition is lightyears ahead. Just look at Linux, it's a great OS if you put some time in it and best of all it's free :P

Offline Tempest

« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2008, 12:51:32 AM »
@Dammy

Interesting, is this new 'Anubis' OS a fork of Aros?

Offline the_leander

• Show only replies by the_leander
    • http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2008, 01:06:21 AM »

kolla wrote:

bloodline wrote:

kolla wrote:

Lorraine wrote:
My question is why are there so many camps in the Amiga scene (when we're not really that big anyway) and why are we at war with each other?

Though this isn't to debate the issues that get us seemingly worked up, just why those issues exist in the first place.

This is like asking why there isnt peace in the middle east when they all worship the same god anyhow.

People who crave power lives off these wars, it's what gives them power. They can dictate the truth, create a following and eventually clash into open war with other groups. Split and rule.

I dont know much about the red camp, but in the blue camp they seem more keen on ridiculing the red camp than talking about their own problems. For example, in the SAM440 thread, bluecampers join in to ridicule both OS4 and SAM - en masse. What for? To show off their elitism ofcourse. Or do you really they care about what other people use their money on? I doubt it.

They keep pointing to various hardware that would be or is better/cheaper than SAM440 and say aCube should rather build something like that. Well, gee - so should Genesi. Yet we dont see the bluecampers raving around about the lack of products from Genesi/bPlan. Why not?

IMO the blue side should just STFU regarding OS4 and related issues, and rather focus on their own problems. The red camp I dont know so well, as blue camp hangaround I've only gotten to know the redcampers as dumbwits and children...  :roll:

:roflmao: The Ironing in your post is delicious... I hope it was deliberate!

Ironing?
No, I meant every word, irony is wasted on the stupid.

And it just gets better  :roflmao:
Blessed Be,
Alan Fisher - the_leander

[SIGPIC]http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/[/SIGPIC]

Offline dammy

« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2008, 01:15:41 AM »
Interesting, is this new 'Anubis' OS a fork of Aros?

No, a AROS fork was not possible with the limited man power at hand.  This is not an Amiga like OS, it's an Amiga inspired OS.  Some will not like it, but they probably wouldn't like anything beyond their existing favorite(s) so to each their own.  The initial WIP ISOs should not be considered the end product but mearly a point during a transitory shift.  Anubis OS is aptly named.

Dammy
Looking Forward To The End
Dammy

Offline AeroMan

• Show only replies by AeroMan
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2008, 01:25:27 AM »

dammy wrote:

No, a AROS fork was not possible with the limited man power at hand.  This is not an Amiga like OS, it's an Amiga inspired OS.  Some will not like it, but they probably wouldn't like anything beyond their existing favorite(s) so to each their own.  The initial WIP ISOs should not be considered the end product but mearly a point during a transitory shift.  Anubis OS is aptly named.

Dammy
Looking Forward To The End

I loved the idea !!!! The site is somewhat ... empty ?
Where can I get more info ? Where?Where?Where?  :idea:

Offline novaburst

• Show only replies by novaburst
    • http://arosshow.blogspot.com
« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2008, 01:44:39 AM »

AeroMan wrote:
I loved the idea !!!! The site is somewhat ... empty ?
Where can I get more info ? Where?Where?Where?  :idea:

Here:

The AROS Show

The AROS Show
#AmigaE IRC Channel on Freenode

Offline Hans_

« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2008, 02:35:59 AM »

Tempest wrote:

Joe 'the computer user' doesn't give a sh*t about Amiga, most people don't even remember it. Amiga like OS's like MorphOS, Aros and OS4 just don't have the apps, hardware or stability to satisfy most users. This isn't going to change in the near future with only a few active users (a couple of thousend).

Have you kept yourself up to date with either MorphOS or Amiga OS 4.1? The number of apps that both can run is continually expanding. The progress that is being made with the available resources is interesting. Average Joe's might not care about the Amiga, but we do.

There's nothing these OS's have to offer at the moment.

I enjoy using it, and developing Amiga software; that's something.

Just face it, Amiga like OS's are just for hobby and aren't going to be mainstream ever again. The competition is lightyears ahead. Just look at Linux, it's a great OS if you put some time in it and best of all it's free :P

I like my hobbies.

Hans

http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more. Home of the RadeonHD driver for Amiga OS 4.x project.

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2008, 02:39:14 AM »
People resorting to name calling will get a time out.

Come now people, it is almost freaking 2009. Amiga lost the computer wars a very, very long time ago. Fighting over a dead platform is ridonkulous.

Complaining about OS4 users is lame.
Complaining about MOS users is lame.
Complaining about Amiga Classic users is lame.
Complaining about AROS users is lame.
Complaining about emulator users is lame.
Complaining about PC users is lame.
Complaining about Mac users is lame.

Use what you like and don't piss on what you don't personally care for. Wayne has made this web site open and tolerant to all, end of story.
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

Offline Hans_

« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2008, 02:41:29 AM »

TheMagicM wrote:
honestly, its not worth fighting any war in the Amiga world.  Just stick with what you like. I love MorphOS.  I dont care about what goes on anywhere else with other "camps".  The less emotional investment you put into the Amiga world, the better off you are.  Pick what you like and just stick with it.

As an Amiga OS 4.1 user/developer, I agree with this. Although I should add that having the odd look at what the other OSes in the Amiga world are doing is worthwhile, just out of curiosity.

Hans
http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more. Home of the RadeonHD driver for Amiga OS 4.x project.

Offline Tempest

« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2008, 03:02:52 AM »

Hans_ wrote:

Tempest wrote:

Have you kept yourself up to date with either MorphOS or Amiga OS 4.1? The number of apps that both can run is continually expanding. The progress that is being made with the available resources is interesting. Average Joe's might not care about the Amiga, but we do.

Oh, I'm up to date with Amiga like OS's. I've used MorphOS for about six years (sold my Pegasos a month ago). But apparently you didn't notice that I was talking about Joe 'the computer user' who isn't interested in Amiga like OS's. Yes there's a number of interesting apps available for MorphOS and OS4 and that's nice but you can't seriously tell me that either of these OS's can compete with Linux, MacOS or Windows and get a place in mainstream computer land like the previous poster suggested. Do you?

There's nothing these OS's have to offer at the moment.

I enjoy using it, and developing Amiga software; that's something.

I enjoy using Amiga OS also (since 1986) but just as an hobby nowadays, it's never going to be more than that. Linux has been my main OS for more than a decade now. To me it just has so much more to offer than any other OS.

I like my hobbies.

Hans

Excactly, that's just what it is a hobby :P

Offline Hans_

« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2008, 03:24:15 AM »

Tempest wrote:

Oh, I'm up to date with Amiga like OS's. I've used MorphOS for about six years (sold my Pegasos a month ago). But apparently you didn't notice that I was talking about Joe 'the computer user' who isn't interested in Amiga like OS's. Yes there's a number of interesting apps available for MorphOS and OS4 and that's nice but you can't seriously tell me that either of these OS's can compete with Linux, MacOS or Windows and get a place in mainstream computer land. Do you?

Oh, I perfectly understood that you were talking about Joe 'the computer user' (reread my post). What I was saying is that it is interesting to us. It would probably be interesting to a larger group if they knew what was going on. Whilst I don't see the Amiga becoming a mainstream system again (maybe in the distant future, who knows), I think that it is possible for our hobby community to grow.

Hans

Offline TheMagicM

• Show only replies by TheMagicM
    • http://www.BartonekDragRacing.com
« Reply #44 from previous page: November 09, 2008, 05:44:43 AM »
Hans:

As an Amiga OS 4.1 user/developer, I agree with this. Although I should add that having the odd look at what the other OSes in the Amiga world are doing is worthwhile, just out of curiosity.  Hans

I used my term "dont care" loosely.  I'll read up on it but since I'm a MorphOS supporter, the news is not relevant to me.  I do think that more competition makes both OS4 and MorphOS developers bring out the best in each other.  

-Alex
PowerMac G5 dual 2.0ghz/128meg Radeon/500gb HD/2GB RAM, MorphOS 3.9 registered, user #1900
Powerbook G4 5,6 1.67ghz/2gb RAM, Radeon 9700/250gb hd, MorphOS 3.9 registered #3143