Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: /  (Read 4959 times)

Description:

Offline Tempest

• Show all replies
Re: Enter The Sandman
« on: November 09, 2008, 12:43:40 AM »

Amithony wrote:

dammy wrote:
2009 should be a very interesting year for the Amiga community.

Every year is more interesting than the last. I find it fascinating how many swings and round abouts the technology goes through. One thing is for sure though, if Microsoft do not address the performance issues in its operating systems, we may well see the resurgence of the players like the Macs and Amigas. It's happening already, but Amiga needs to step up to the plate to make hay while the sun is shining, otherwise, we will be reading about how good the Amiga always was and emulating it on our new intel machines :)

Really?

Joe 'the computer user' doesn't give a sh*t about Amiga, most people don't even remember it. Amiga like OS's like MorphOS, Aros and OS4 just don't have the apps, hardware or stability to satisfy most users. This isn't going to change in the near future with only a few active users (a couple of thousend).

There's nothing these OS's have to offer at the moment. Don't even start about bootup time (most favorite amongst Amiga users), my 6 year old Linux box (AMD 2500) boots up in just 35 seconds and system performance is very fast with a highly tweaked Debian 'unstable' netinstall and Awesome as window manager.

The only OS's that could profit from a possible downfall of Windows are MacOS and Linux but I don't see Windows dissapear in the near future (Windows 7 is just around the corner).

Just face it, Amiga like OS's are just for hobby and aren't going to be mainstream ever again. The competition is lightyears ahead. Just look at Linux, it's a great OS if you put some time in it and best of all it's free :P

Offline Tempest

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 12:51:32 AM »
@Dammy

Interesting, is this new 'Anubis' OS a fork of Aros?

Offline Tempest

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 03:02:52 AM »

Hans_ wrote:

Tempest wrote:

Joe 'the computer user' doesn't give a sh*t about Amiga, most people don't even remember it. Amiga like OS's like MorphOS, Aros and OS4 just don't have the apps, hardware or stability to satisfy most users. This isn't going to change in the near future with only a few active users (a couple of thousend).

Have you kept yourself up to date with either MorphOS or Amiga OS 4.1? The number of apps that both can run is continually expanding. The progress that is being made with the available resources is interesting. Average Joe's might not care about the Amiga, but we do.

Oh, I'm up to date with Amiga like OS's. I've used MorphOS for about six years (sold my Pegasos a month ago). But apparently you didn't notice that I was talking about Joe 'the computer user' who isn't interested in Amiga like OS's. Yes there's a number of interesting apps available for MorphOS and OS4 and that's nice but you can't seriously tell me that either of these OS's can compete with Linux, MacOS or Windows and get a place in mainstream computer land like the previous poster suggested. Do you?

There's nothing these OS's have to offer at the moment.

I enjoy using it, and developing Amiga software; that's something.

I enjoy using Amiga OS also (since 1986) but just as an hobby nowadays, it's never going to be more than that. Linux has been my main OS for more than a decade now. To me it just has so much more to offer than any other OS.

Just face it, Amiga like OS's are just for hobby and aren't going to be mainstream ever again. The competition is lightyears ahead. Just look at Linux, it's a great OS if you put some time in it and best of all it's free :P

I like my hobbies.

Hans

Excactly, that's just what it is a hobby :P