Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: MorphOS 2 vs. AmigaOS 4.1 (pros/cons)  (Read 9180 times)

Description:

Offline pVC

Re: MorphOS 2 vs. AmigaOS 4.1 (pros/cons)
« Reply #74 from previous page: November 12, 2008, 03:11:38 PM »

Matt_H wrote:
What I thought to be the latest version of MPlayer on OS4 (from November of last year) is a crashy mess. Is there a newer version kicking around anywhere?

I like DVPlayer (I'm a registered user), but it just doesn't handle everything. That's why I like having both around.

I haven't found later version of MPlayer either. And that version sucks pretty much. OSD texts and subtitles are flashy and aspect ratio is lost in full screen etc.

I also haven't registered DVPlayer, so it doesn't play much here. How does it handle xvids etc? What it haven't handled on you?

On a partially-related note, could you talk a bit more about the new features in 4.1? It seems like not many details beyond the press release and "It's better" have made it out. Not a huge deal, as I will get 4.1 eventually, but in the meantime I'm just curious.

Yeah, I'm missing detailed information on that too. MorphOS has pretty comprehensive pages about those things (www.morphos-team.net).

BTW. here are screenshots of installing both systems and some after install pics too: for AmigaOS4.1 and for MorphOS2.0
Daily MorphOS user and Amiga active.

Offline pVC

« Reply #75 on: November 12, 2008, 03:23:51 PM »

hooligan wrote:
Do you guys think there is a website for Lamborghini- and Ferrariowners to debate which carbrand is better? :-)

Yes. I surely would like to do some comparison before going to buy expensive car. And I don't think those Lamborghini and Ferrari owners would be any less passionate about their cars than we are with out operating systems :) You should look some dog or diet forums for real fanaticism, for example ;)

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #76 on: November 12, 2008, 03:33:46 PM »
Where is the default horible yellow theme  in AOS4.1 then ?
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline pVC

« Reply #77 on: November 12, 2008, 03:59:35 PM »

JJ wrote:

In any prefs window there? Or if you say that it isn't yellowish, then I have to blame my monitor :) Anyway it doesn't look good here IMHO. And especially with combination of those red and purple things.

Ok, I checked RGB values of those backgrounds, because it came this big question :) And it really seems to be bit leaning to yellow side. Only a bit, but maybe my monitor shows it too clearly. In any case I would like more some other color scheme.

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #78 on: November 12, 2008, 04:08:30 PM »
@ PVC

Looking it more closley I actually agree with you, and the prefs are basically the same as os3.9 , and they dont look I do agreee with you.

And just for balance I have never used either OS.  I never could get morphos 1.4 to run on my A1200
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline Hans_

« Reply #79 on: November 12, 2008, 05:11:08 PM »

pVC wrote:

JJ wrote:

In any prefs window there? Or if you say that it isn't yellowish, then I have to blame my monitor :) Anyway it doesn't look good here IMHO. And especially with combination of those red and purple things.

Ok, I checked RGB values of those backgrounds, because it came this big question :) And it really seems to be bit leaning to yellow side. Only a bit, but maybe my monitor shows it too clearly. In any case I would like more some other color scheme.

It really has to be your monitor if your prefs editors are yellowish too. It's not yellowish on my system. The problem with colour schemes is that no default scheme is going to satisfy everyone.

Hans
http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more. Home of the RadeonHD driver for Amiga OS 4.x project.

Offline KimmoK

• Show only replies by KimmoK
« Reply #80 on: November 12, 2008, 07:44:00 PM »
@Piru

Ok, you did it. :-x

I hope your talks about future MOS release for MacMini are not pure vapor because I think I just became a owner of 1.4Ghz MacMini for 205€.

(so I will dress in RED and BLUE in the future ?) :crazy:  
- KimmoK
// Windows will never catch us now.
// The multicolor AmigaFUTURE IS NOW !! :crazy:

Offline jorkany

• Show only replies by jorkany
    • http://www.amigaos4.com
« Reply #81 on: November 12, 2008, 09:04:02 PM »
Somewhat OT, but a writeup of OS4.1 vs WotLK has been written.

Offline Flashlab

• Show only replies by Flashlab
« Reply #82 on: November 12, 2008, 09:18:46 PM »
@jorkany

Wow, a link to a flammatory post. Maybe that's even within the posting guidelines of A.org?

Great to see that people can get so upset about a product they dislike that spend so much time writing about it. I'm not a fan of OS4 myself but reading your very insightful post Moobunny, wow, that's like art. No really, wow, congratulations. You must be really proud! Can I start a bounty so we can support such creative writing? Please give us your Pay Pal information!
Amiga 4000D Cyberstorm PPC 060@50 604@200 SCSI 130Mb Ram G-Rex Voodoo3 PicassoIV Paloma Ariadne Delfina Lite

Online Flash version of BoulderDash: Offline...

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #83 on: November 12, 2008, 09:59:43 PM »
Well it was a rather silly post comparing apples to oranges but it did contain a useful number of 1300 to 2000 OS4 users.  Would you say there are a similar number of Morphos users?

Given that we are dealing with a few thousand users wouldn't it make sense to combine forces and develop for both?  Even then it would be hard for a developer to actually earn a living.  But tearing each other apart is suicidal...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline rzookol

• Show only replies by rzookol
« Reply #84 on: November 12, 2008, 10:29:10 PM »
about 450 registred mos 2.0 users
about 2000 mos users (145 and 2.x)

Offline hooligan

• Show only replies by hooligan
    • http://www.mikseri.net/hooligan
« Reply #85 on: November 12, 2008, 10:59:33 PM »

rzookol wrote:

Where are they lurking?

Offline pVC

« Reply #86 on: November 13, 2008, 04:16:00 PM »

hooligan wrote:

rzookol wrote:

Where are they lurking?

Enjoying their systems without useless babble? :)

For example, I have several Pegasos owning friends here in the same city, but I'm the only one being loud at the net :)