Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Evil Dead on the Prairie  (Read 4669 times)

Description:

Offline J-Golden

• TOP SECRET USER!!!
    • Show only replies by J-Golden
    • http://about.me/J.Golden
Re: Evil Dead on the Prairie
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2011, 10:03:56 AM »
Some of THE BEST one liners come from "Army of Darkness" and the action/comedy scenes are just right on.

It was directed by Sam Rami, the guy who did Zena, Hercules Jack of all Trades and several other truly awesome shows that shaped my young mind...

Or is it WARPED my young mind...
AMIGA: (NOUN) THE FIRST COMPUTER THAT BRIDGED THE GAP BETWEEN HUMANITY AND TECHNOLOGY.

I'm a dyslectic, phonetic spelling English Major. It's funny 'cause it's TRUE!:roflmao:

WWBD?

Offline XDelusionTopic starter

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2011, 06:47:54 PM »
Funny, I don't recall starting this thread... ;)

Franko: I take it back, what you want to do is watch EVIL DEAD III: Army of Darkness, then when you find your self hooked on the Bruce's one liner's, the slap stick comedy, and the awesome budget effects such as stop motion, reverse camera, and all that jazz, then watch Evil Dead II: Dead by Dawn to see how Bruce got there in the first place!

You'll find that part II is also very campy and very slap stick, but it does not go over board with it like part III does. I think the thing that could have lost your interest in part I is the fact that it takes longer for that film to take off and get going. I enjoyed it, but if you are someone who is eager for the action and gore, then you gotta wait till near the end.

Speaking of which, I'll be watching Evil Dead I on the big screen later this year in Yellow Springs Ohio! :)

http://www.grindhousereleasing.com/evil_dead_dates.html

Now as for the Japanese movies you are referring to, they are called Ring or Ringu. I.E. Ringu, Ringu 2, and Ringu 0. (I think there may be another, I forget).

[youtube]ieoJEvEnqbc[/youtube]

Sadly they remade those in the US and I was less than impressed. They always loose the Japanese culture in the transition, add in a few American or European models as starts, and usually depend upon added gore to keep the audience's attention.

If you really like Japanese Horror, I highly suggest you check out The Ju-On Curse and Grudge series. Again, not the American remake, even though it was done by the original director...

In Japan there are 6 parts to this series. 1 and 2 are basically the same made for TV film, though each have details in them that will add up to make part 3 a lot more understandable, not to mention disturbing when you step back and take everything into account.

3 of course is the movie the Americanized Grudge was a remake of, but it changed a few plot details which entailed cutting out the original 2 Japanese movies which to me just killed it.

4 was pretty campy, sort of like how A Nightmare on Elm Street got after it went on for to long, but then they later made a part 5 and 6 which I've not fully watched yet, but they actually looked pretty good, and it looks as if they took a whole new direction and left the original Grudge Tale alone.

[youtube]KSu_hUqb3kI[/youtube]

Outside of Japan, I would HIGHLY HIGHLY suggest The Changeling.

[youtube]xTzgXVosQOU[/youtube]

Candyman (featuring a little Ted Raimi!!!!!)

[youtube]3lFxWo_C2qs[/youtube]

And of course The Shining.

[youtube]I6qDqdYY6-Y[/youtube]

We're all adults now, so it is very unlikely that you will get totally scared...

...unless of course you smoke large amounts of pot and stay up for a few days before watching them alone and in the dark, but I think you'll be impressed none the less and will see how some horror movies are just that, rather than silly films that involve demons and what not.

Of course there is a large background story to horror, and why it is so low budget half the time, and their are amazing stories of amazing effects feats people pulled off on their self funded, non-hollywood projects. A story which explains all the rubber costumes, and this and that. A story that was told long before Hollywood sucked up the horror genre and began to destroy it bit by bit turning it into nothing more than gory, and cliche, action films like the Dawn of the Dead remake.

The original was a drama, the remake was a funny action movie. While both were great in their own way, I strongly feel that in order to have a true horror experience, you should be feeling a little drama too, otherwise you don't feel anything for the characters on the screen and the trials and tribulations they are enduring...

Sort of like LIttle House.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 06:54:55 PM by XDelusion »
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2011, 06:51:43 PM »
Oh, I almost forgot to add The Exorcist III!!! :)

I have more I could list of course, but these movies are a few that still impress me to this day.

BTW, anyone familiar with my Avatar? I can't believe no one has commented on it yet! ;)
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline J-Golden

• TOP SECRET USER!!!
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2011, 06:58:53 PM »
BOY!!!!!!!!!

;)

It's sad that that series kinda petered out eh?
AMIGA: (NOUN) THE FIRST COMPUTER THAT BRIDGED THE GAP BETWEEN HUMANITY AND TECHNOLOGY.

I'm a dyslectic, phonetic spelling English Major. It's funny 'cause it's TRUE!:roflmao:

WWBD?

Offline odin

• Colonization had Galleons
    • Show only replies by odin
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2011, 07:02:46 PM »
Quote from: XDelusion;650861
Oh, I almost forgot to add The Exorcist III!!! :)

I have more I could list of course, but these movies are a few that still impress me to this day.

BTW, anyone familiar with my Avatar? I can't believe no one has commented on it yet! ;)

I know the series, Phantasm if I'm not mistaken? Event Horizon and The Cube are favourites of mine ( though not all that scary, J-horror rules in that area:).

Offline J-Golden

• TOP SECRET USER!!!
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2011, 07:03:10 PM »
I'm watching "The Rite" at this moment... Not too bad, kinda slow but it builds :)

WWBD?

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2011, 07:07:01 PM »
Yes Phanstasm! I knew someone in here had to have seen those! :)

I can't wait for part 5, I'll tell you that much. Rumor says that Bruce Campbell will be in it, and that they are going to cross it over with Evil Dead...

Time will tell.

The Rite was O.K., not as good as I was hoping, but not horrible either, though again I found my self going back and watching my fan edit of Exorcist III again after viewing it. :)

http://fanedit.org/13576/

Oh, and speaking of Event Horizon (Lovecraft in Space)

Check this!!!

http://fanedit.org/1337/

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2011, 07:09:07 PM »
Oh, and if anyone is interested in the Evil Dead trilogy like you have never seen it before. PM me.

Here is but one example of what I have (not available from stores):

http://fanedit.org/443/

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2011, 07:11:41 PM »
@ XDelusion...

Them's the very films I was talking about cheers... :)

Grudge is one's I liked too... :)

As for the avatar (apart from having a neck longer than E.T.) I've been wondering meself about that, thought at first it was something to with the "CUBE" series of films then thought nah... then I though it was something I saw in "SAW"... nah...

But I've got it now... you're re-inacting a scene from the little know Sci Fi B movie of 1952 called "Uh Oh... The Attack Of The Tiny Chrome Plated SpaceHoppers That Nail Themselves To Yer Forehead", pretty sure that's the one... :)

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2011, 07:15:45 PM »
I have a long neck so I can reach up and eat apple from high branches! :)

Quote from: Franko;650874
@ XDelusion...

Them's the very films I was talking about cheers... :)

Grudge is one's I liked too... :)

As for the avatar (apart from having a neck longer than E.T.) I've been wondering meself about that, thought at first it was something to with the "CUBE" series of films then thought nah... then I though it was something I saw in "SAW"... nah...

But I've got it now... you're re-inacting a scene from the little know Sci Fi B movie of 1952 called "Uh Oh... The Attack Of The Tiny Chrome Plated SpaceHoppers That Nail Themselves To Yer Forehead", pretty sure that's the one... :)

Offline J-Golden

• TOP SECRET USER!!!
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2011, 07:15:54 PM »
Quote from: XDelusion;650870
Yes Phanstasm! I knew someone in here had to have seen those! :)

I can't wait for part 5, I'll tell you that much. Rumor says that Bruce Campbell will be in it, and that they are going to cross it over with Evil Dead...

Time will tell.

:( I was hoping you would get my hint to your hint as to what movie we were hinting about...

OH WELL!!!

If Bruce Campbell IS in the next one, it SHOULD be good!!!  The last one didn't really go anywhere and it felt like they were stalling or running out of ideas.

And I could see an Army of Darkness / Phantasm crossover happening more than the Freddy Vs. Jason Vs. Ash people keep swearing is being made...

Not nearly as many egos involved...

Needless to say, if it happens, I am there!

WWBD?

Offline Franko

« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2011, 07:19:40 PM »
Who's this Bruce Campbell geezer, is he related to Malcom Campbell (you guy's wont get that one being on the other side of the pond) but who he anyway !!!

Offline J-Golden

• TOP SECRET USER!!!
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2011, 07:21:39 PM »
Oh, do any of you like the Clive Barker stuff?  Hell Raiser (only the first few) Night Breed, Raw Head Rex, Candyman (already mentioned) to name a few of my favs.

I got several of the comic books way back when also.  The Cross-overs were really mind blowing like the Night Breed Vs. Hell Raiser (Jihad) and the Raw Head Rex story line in the Night Breed monthly.

Geez, I need to find the Night Breed Amiga game again, that was so fun as a kid!!!

WWBD?

Offline J-Golden

• TOP SECRET USER!!!
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2011, 07:24:23 PM »
Quote from: Franko;650880
Who's this Bruce Campbell geezer, is he related to Malcom Campbell (you guy's wont get that one being on the other side of the pond) but who he anyway !!!

Google him, I dare you... :D

WWBD?

Offline Franko

« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2011, 07:27:14 PM »
I was going too but I'm feeling particularly lazy today and can't be arsed moving my mouse far enough to open a new tab... :)

Go on tell me who the bugger is... :)

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #29 from previous page: July 20, 2011, 09:26:21 PM »
Franko: Just rent and watch Evil Dead 2 and 3, then you will know! Trust me, you'll be amused. He's a reluctant, yet cocky, anti-hero.

J, aghh just got the Boooyyyy bit, though it threw me off because you said the series declined...

I thought the zombies in a pink caddy could have been scrapped from the series, but other than that, I love it all, and 4 seemed to me like a major return to it's Phantasmic roots. I loved the addition of the old footage from the 70's, and the Tall Man's back story was intriguing...

I'm starting to feel sorry for him and want to know more...