Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Questions about MorphOS and 68k compatibility  (Read 5250 times)

Description:

Offline amiman99Topic starter

Questions about MorphOS and 68k compatibility
« on: July 27, 2014, 11:17:00 PM »
Can anyone show me how compatible is MorphOS with native 68k Amiga applications?
I'm looking for speed comparisons and overall compatiblility using 68k software, like Lightwave, Vista, Cinema4D, Photogenics etc or any other applications. I'm not really interested in games, I can do that on my real Amigas.
I want to see how fast Mac Mini 1.5GHz with MorphOS can render a picture using one of the mentioned programs.
Did anyone made a Youtube video showing 68k compatibility features?

I'm looking forward to see some of them.
A500 KS 2.1, 1MB Chip, 68000
A600 KS 3.1, 2MB Chip, ACA630 32MB RAM
A1000 KS 1.3, 8MB RAM
A1200 KS 3.1, Blizzard IV 50MHz 64MB RAM
A2000 KS 2.1, 68030 25MHz, 6MB RAM
A3000 KS 3.1, 68030 25MHz, 16MB RAM
A4000 KS 3.0, 68040 25MHz, 16MB RAM
CDTV KS 3.1, 4MB RAM
CD32
(AROS BOX) Dead :(

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
Re: Questions about MorphOS and 68k compatibility
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 11:59:35 PM »
Quote from: amiman99;769833
Can anyone show me how compatible is MorphOS with native 68k Amiga applications?
I'm looking for speed comparisons and overall compatiblility using 68k software, like Lightwave, Vista, Cinema4D, Photogenics etc or any other applications. I'm not really interested in games, I can do that on my real Amigas.
I want to see how fast Mac Mini 1.5GHz with MorphOS can render a picture using one of the mentioned programs.

In short, as long as it does not depend upon special calles to the video chipset, or any calls to Paula, then is should in theory run. Though that said, you will probably encounter graphical corruption with some paint programs. I guess there is a way to resolve that should you run into it, but the methods were never fully described to me.

On that note, if we get something like Puh Der Baer or Nalle Puh, then we should have acess to programs that hit up Paula via AHI.
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline utri007

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 05:43:58 AM »
I don't know about MorphOS, but with AOS4 prety much every productivity app works and they works very fast, even with low spec hardware. So I ques it is same with MorphOS.
ACube Sam 440ep Flex 800mhz, 1gb ram and 240gb hd and OS4.1FE
A1200 Micronic tower, OS3.9, Apollo 060 66mhz, xPert Merlin, Delfina Lite and Micronic Scandy, 500Gb hd, 66mb ram, DVD-burner and WLAN.
A1200 desktop, OS3.9, Blizzard 060 66mhz, 66mb ram, Ide Fix Express with 160Gb HD and WLAN
A500 OS2.1, GVP+HD8 with 4mb ram, 1mb chip ram and 4gb HD
Commodore CDTV KS3.1, 1mb chip, 4mb fast ram and IDE HD

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 06:05:12 AM »
The Youtube video posted by @JJ is OK, but does not show what I'm looking for. It does show 68k word processor running on MorphOS, but it's not a very CPU intensive task.
A1000 KS 1.3, 8MB RAM
CDTV KS 3.1, 4MB RAM
CD32

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 08:27:01 AM »
there is a list somewhere that lists 68k productivity software and how it fairs.   I summon takemehomegrandma , please provide the list :)
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 08:47:04 AM »

I have used Photogenics on MorphOS long time ago so it should at least work. Other software should work too. 68k compatibility is great.

On Mac Mini they render picture faster than any real Amiga.

Do you have access to that Mac Mini? You could try demo version of MorphOS and run your favorite programs before buying.
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

Offline pVC

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2014, 09:02:00 AM »
I have only tried Photogenics 5 and it seems to work just fine. All effects are drawn pretty much without any lag when you draw around.

I think older programs which try to force on AGA screen won't work that well. I think Vista is one of them and it can be difficult to get it run. I remember that some people have got Lightwave to run, but did it need to be configured some external renderer/screen or something to avoid it opening render result to AGA screen or so... or maybe some screen promotion program is needed. I think it was same on real Amiga with gfx card too.

I'd guess Cinema4D would work pretty fine as it's a bit newer program and was working well on gfx card equipped classic Amigas too. I might dig it out some time and try...

Anyway, I wouldn't dare to promise that all programs work or don't need some tuning, but newer the program is, it's more likely to work without hiccups. Anyway, all programs run way faster than on any real Amiga.

Other similar programs which at least do work: FXPaint2, ArtEffect 4, ImageFX, Elastic/Fantastic Dreams, TVPaint, Real3D...

Accodring to that page http://morphos.lukysoft.cz/ Lightwave and Cinema4D do work too.
Daily MorphOS user and Amiga active.

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2014, 04:29:45 PM »
Quote from: pVC;769846
I have only tried Photogenics 5 and it seems to work just fine. All effects are drawn pretty much without any lag when you draw around.

I think older programs which try to force on AGA screen won't work that well. I think Vista is one of them and it can be difficult to get it run. I remember that some people have got Lightwave to run, but did it need to be configured some external renderer/screen or something to avoid it opening render result to AGA screen or so... or maybe some screen promotion program is needed. I think it was same on real Amiga with gfx card too.

I'd guess Cinema4D would work pretty fine as it's a bit newer program and was working well on gfx card equipped classic Amigas too. I might dig it out some time and try...

Anyway, I wouldn't dare to promise that all programs work or don't need some tuning, but newer the program is, it's more likely to work without hiccups. Anyway, all programs run way faster than on any real Amiga.

Other similar programs which at least do work: FXPaint2, ArtEffect 4, ImageFX, Elastic/Fantastic Dreams, TVPaint, Real3D...

Accodring to that page http://morphos.lukysoft.cz/ Lightwave and Cinema4D do work too.

That was the list i was looking for :)

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2014, 07:57:05 PM »
Mike Brantley has done a few YouTube videos for both AmigaOS4.x and MorphOS running Lightwave3D, VistaPro and a couple other Amiga 68k applications.  Some of them (like Lightwave3D) need to have their screens promoted, using something like ModePro, to get them to work.

He is the guy I would try to get in touch with for info on the tricks to getting 68k programs to run on MorphOS best.
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline zylesea

• Show only replies by zylesea
    • http://www.via-altera.de
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2014, 09:59:17 PM »

http://via.i-networx.de/bench_en.html

For C4D my Mac mini renders 54 times as fast as my old A1200/40 @25MHz did.

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2014, 10:44:39 PM »
Quote from: zylesea;769873
http://via.i-networx.de/bench_en.html

For C4D my Mac mini renders 54 times as fast as my old A1200/40 @25MHz did.
Cool!

How does the 68k software install work? Do I decompress the archive and double click Install? Do I need 3.1 KS ROM or Workbench disks like AROS?
A1000 KS 1.3, 8MB RAM
CDTV KS 3.1, 4MB RAM
CD32

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by eliyahu
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2014, 10:56:55 PM »
Quote from: amiman99;769878
How does the 68k software install work? Do I decompress the archive and double click Install? Do I need 3.1 KS ROM or Workbench disks like AROS?
if it's "system friendly" then you don't need any additional files. just double-click on the icon and away you go. if the software hits the custom chips, you'll need to run in UAE.  if it works "out of the box," the performance is awesome.

-- eliyahu
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here."

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2014, 01:18:08 AM »
Quote from: JJ;769859
That was the list i was looking for :)

Typical, here I stand summoned with the list in my hand, in vain it seems. Too slow, must be getting old...

:nervous:
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2014, 02:04:57 AM »
Quote from: amiman99;769878
How does the 68k software install work? Do I decompress the archive and double click Install?

Different from application to application I would say. Chances are some other guy has tried it before you, so begin with searching morpzhone, this site, etc for tips and solutions to problems (if there are any) to the application you want to install. Sure, you could just try using the applications' supplied installer first, but as a general recommendation (and not MorphOS specific one) you should consider doing it manually instead, perhaps with some guidance from the installer script and a system monitoring tool. And sometimes you will need to tweak/alter some things for the program to work properly on a MorphOS system anyway, and no old amiga installer will know anything avout this. So search for info and ask questions at morphzone if you run into trouble. :)

Do I need 3.1 KS ROM or Workbench disks like AROS?

MorphOS is *not an emulator*, it's a complete Amiga OS that provides its own Amiga API's and Amiga environment fully native. So native "ROM's", "Workbench" (called Ambient in MorphOS), etc, etc is there already. :) Even the 68k Amiga binaries are recompiled into optimized fully native PPC binaries before they run. :)

Ofcourse you can also choose to run the UAE emulator on top of MorphOS, and then you will need those files you mentioned. But running those apps mentioned in this thread inside an UAE emulation box on top of MorphOS would work, but would give terrible performance, relative to running the apps natively on MorphOS...
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)