Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: OS dilemma  (Read 5771 times)

Description:

Offline LiveForIt

Re: OS dilemma or not
« on: July 16, 2014, 04:46:40 AM »
Maybe you need to check your .......?
This topic kind hit the nail on the head, MorphOS is some thing different then AmigaOS, its not what people expect, but it does not need to be a bad thing. Its maybe more about individual taste.

You should not be offended by different opinions and that they like different things. Its not possible to argue some one into liking some thing else, people like different things.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 10:05:21 PM by eliyahu »

Offline LiveForIt

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 05:33:14 PM »
Quote from: pVC;769113
Same directory structures

You have the MOS: assign and stuff, it might be confusing where put libraries.

UI is even more configurable because it's MUI

So if you don't like MUI, original AmigaOS 3.x uses Gadtools.
AmigaOS3.5/3.9 uses reaction.
Some who has only used a Amiga 500 / Workbench 1.2 will most likely not know what MUI is.

MUI, TurboPrint, SFS, CGX, Poseidon

None of this are bundled with AmigaOS 3.x, most people don't have USB on classic Amiga, and True colors, sure some one who has spent a lot of money on upgrades maybe.

AHI

Became a part of AmigaOS 3.5/3.9, it was not part of AmigaOS 3.1, some one who has not used Amiga in few years might find it strange to configure.

Ambient is MUCH more configurable than WB ever was

Some people like Dopus5 and some don't, this is about individual taste, we do not all like the same thing, for the most part I like to use workbench because I feel I have better control when dragging icons around. Besides I see all buttons as clutter on the screen, when just want to start and find some thing.

probably any other system (including real Amigas).

How well does it support OCS/AGA games :-)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 05:56:48 PM by LiveForIt »

Offline LiveForIt

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 06:34:30 PM »
Quote from: OlafS3;769140
BTW what are you talking about? If you read his first post carefully

The comment I quoted was directed towards “Danbeaver”, not the first poster of this topic.

It has nothing to do with 3.1. and which technology is there (or not).

I'm just saying it might be confusing for some that used Amiga in 80's and trying out MorphOS now after many years, there is a lot that has changed.

Besides you seem to have wrong impressions of what is available on 68k.

I was more referring to what people know back in 80's and 90's, and it is possible that I do not know about every 68k program that exist, I was not active on Amiga in late 90's my self, I only kept my self up to date by buying AmigaFromat magazines etc. in 97 I waited for A/BOX in 98/99 I was one of people hoped for BoXeR to come out.

Anyway I'm trying to hint at is that people have different configurations and hardware upgrades they are used to.

People that use MorphOS take it for granted that people have lot of experience with software from late 90's, I'm not sure that's always the case. Hardware availability has been big problem for AmigaOS users for many years.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 06:39:40 PM by LiveForIt »

Offline LiveForIt

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 07:42:21 PM »
Quote from: pVC;769147
Then you should be happy with MorphOS, because its HW origins are with phase5 (A\Box) and MorphOS itself runs in a sandbox called Abox

Well I remember Phase5 promised round and triangular shaped windows.
There was a lot promises, there was not clear what it was going to be, I was hoping for some thing like AmigaOS4.0, back then.

So the Pegasus 1 is based on the A\Box design, well that computer as lot in common with Eyetech machines, same MAI Logic ArticiaS Northbrige, a big disappointment. Anyway I most say my AmigaONE-XE G4 is holding up well despite all that. Its now mostly used for software testing this days.

So how would you suggest it should be instead?

I think MorphOS already has its own identity, and its own supports, I think it be impossible to turn back the clock.
I'm shore the users and developers will define what its going to be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tfy5CBfjZ8s

I think be really hard to be every thing at once, anyway the once that try normally ends up with some bloated gimmick. I also believe doing things right, I'm shore people have different opinion of what the “right” thing is, but you normally do know you did the right thing, because then you know you don't need to redo some thing.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 08:16:04 PM by LiveForIt »

Offline LiveForIt

Re: OS dilemma
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 02:39:31 AM »
Quote from: Iggy;769170
@ LiveForIt

So MorphOS resembles a continued evolution from OS 3.5 and 3.9 so its less Amiga-like?

This not what I'm saying at all, I was referring to Aminet and what was available.
different paths to different NG experiences.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 05:53:19 AM by LiveForIt »