Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: OS dilemma  (Read 5715 times)

Description:

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
Re: OS delemma
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2014, 02:29:22 AM »
Quote from: yssing;769073
MorphOS is a much amiga as Windows is.

Speaking of Windows... when I had Linux at home (not anymore, PC was disposed) I had KDE themed to look like Windows 2000.
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

Offline danbeaver

Re: OS dilemma
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2014, 02:37:18 AM »
Despite all the clamor and hype, Amiga.org goes on unchanged with personal attacks, unabashed anger, and open hostility all un-moderated in its full Glory!

Boy, did the new owners get a bargain.

Offline itix

Re: OS dilemma
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2014, 03:50:02 AM »
Quote from: danbeaver;769079
Despite all the clamor and hype, Amiga.org goes on unchanged with personal attacks, unabashed anger, and open hostility all un-moderated in its full Glory!

Boy, did the new owners get a bargain.

Have you tried MorphZone yet? If you dont like this site maybe it will be your new favorite site to hang on.

Offline LiveForIt

Re: OS dilemma or not
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2014, 04:46:40 AM »
Maybe you need to check your .......?
This topic kind hit the nail on the head, MorphOS is some thing different then AmigaOS, its not what people expect, but it does not need to be a bad thing. Its maybe more about individual taste.

You should not be offended by different opinions and that they like different things. Its not possible to argue some one into liking some thing else, people like different things.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 10:05:21 PM by eliyahu »

Offline itix

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2014, 05:01:37 AM »
Quote from: LiveForIt;769088
Amiga is computers from 80's and 90's, the only ones that use Amigas here are the classic Amiga users.

This topic kind hit the nail on the head, MorphOS is some thing different then AmigaOS, its not what people expect, but it does not need to be a bad thing. Its maybe more about individual taste.

You should not be offended by different opinions and that they like different things. Its not possible to argue some one into liking some thing else, people like different things.

Maybe you should read thread more carefully. Lurch was asking help to create OS4 look alike theme for MorphOS and then someone posts unrelated post about his feelings of MorphOS vs OS4. When people try to help him to solve his problems to find documentation he does not answer.

Thanks.

Offline pVC

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2014, 09:55:15 AM »
Quote from: danbeaver;769062
True, but it feels just as confined and limited as a mac; it doesn't feel like I'm using an Amiga, just something else that I have no control over.  Perhaps it is the lack of documentation or the lack of 29 years experience in the number and depth of programs available.

Can you give any practical examples?

I can't imagine myself how MorphOS wouldn't be as much Amiga as OS4 for example. Same directory structures, starup files, shell behaviour etc like on Amiga always... UI is even more configurable because it's MUI, which is also well known from Amiga. You can tune the system with same existing scripts, shell commands, devices, datatypes, libs, handlers etc...

Most parts of MorphOS are directly continuation from Amiga (MUI, TurboPrint, AHI, SFS, CGX, Poseidon, etc. I've used to use all those on my A1200 before MorphOS). And heck, Ambient is MUCH more configurable than WB ever was, even with the patches (and Ambient resemles those patches in many places). Window gagdets etc are the same like on Amiga, but also extended to have new (configurable) functionality like getting windows to full screen more easily and opening new screens for programs automatically etc. I just don't understand where the limitation would be?

And MorphOS more compatible with Amiga software than probably any other system (including real Amigas). Or which other system can run 68k, WarpOS and PowerUP software out of the box? And even some OS4 programs with 3rd party extension.
Daily MorphOS user and Amiga active.

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2014, 12:15:39 PM »
Quote from: pVC;769113
Can you give any practical examples?

I can't imagine myself how MorphOS wouldn't be as much Amiga as OS4 for example. Same directory structures, starup files, shell behaviour etc like on Amiga always... UI is even more configurable because it's MUI, which is also well known from Amiga. You can tune the system with same existing scripts, shell commands, devices, datatypes, libs, handlers etc...

Most parts of MorphOS are directly continuation from Amiga (MUI, TurboPrint, AHI, SFS, CGX, Poseidon, etc. I've used to use all those on my A1200 before MorphOS). And heck, Ambient is MUCH more configurable than WB ever was, even with the patches (and Ambient resemles those patches in many places). Window gagdets etc are the same like on Amiga, but also extended to have new (configurable) functionality like getting windows to full screen more easily and opening new screens for programs automatically etc. I just don't understand where the limitation would be?

And MorphOS more compatible with Amiga software than probably any other system (including real Amigas). Or which other system can run 68k, WarpOS and PowerUP software out of the box? And even some OS4 programs with 3rd party extension.

+1

All NG platforms (AROS, AmigaOS, MorphOS) share the same history, have a identical structure and so on. Differences are the desktop and sometimes used technologies (MUI versus Reaction, CGx versus P96, Poseidon versus the USB stack in AmigaOS and so on). There are of course differences in the inplementations (f.e. of the libraries). The most obvious difference is the desktop but even in the old days there were different desktops like original Workbench (3.1.), then 3.5 and 3.9, Scalos, Magellan. Nobody would have said that a Amiga with Scalos is no Amiga.

But perhaps a small idea... someone could create a tutorial how to make MorphOS as similar as possible to AmigaOS (including Ambient configuration) or a distribution with all preferences that can be easy installed.

Offline LiveForIt

« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2014, 05:33:14 PM »
Quote from: pVC;769113
Same directory structures

You have the MOS: assign and stuff, it might be confusing where put libraries.

UI is even more configurable because it's MUI

So if you don't like MUI, original AmigaOS 3.x uses Gadtools.
AmigaOS3.5/3.9 uses reaction.
Some who has only used a Amiga 500 / Workbench 1.2 will most likely not know what MUI is.

MUI, TurboPrint, SFS, CGX, Poseidon

None of this are bundled with AmigaOS 3.x, most people don't have USB on classic Amiga, and True colors, sure some one who has spent a lot of money on upgrades maybe.

AHI

Became a part of AmigaOS 3.5/3.9, it was not part of AmigaOS 3.1, some one who has not used Amiga in few years might find it strange to configure.

Ambient is MUCH more configurable than WB ever was

Some people like Dopus5 and some don't, this is about individual taste, we do not all like the same thing, for the most part I like to use workbench because I feel I have better control when dragging icons around. Besides I see all buttons as clutter on the screen, when just want to start and find some thing.

probably any other system (including real Amigas).

How well does it support OCS/AGA games :-)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 05:56:48 PM by LiveForIt »

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by eliyahu
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2014, 05:40:45 PM »
@thread

this is getting off-topic, to say the least. please keep your replies going forward on the subject of MOS and themes for MOS as requested by the OP. yes, one poster was insulting, and was warned, and it hasn't happened since. so let's let bygones be bygones. if you can't help yourself from being snarky, take it to PM.

thank you. :)

-- eliyahu
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here."

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2014, 06:05:11 PM »
Quote from: eliyahu;769138
@thread

this is getting off-topic, to say the least. please keep your replies going forward on the subject of MOS and themes for MOS as requested by the OP. yes, one poster was insulting, and was warned, and it hasn't happened since. so let's let bygones be bygones. if you can't help yourself from being snarky, take it to PM.

thank you. :)

-- eliyahu

this is going in the typical direction :)

@thread

Why not someone using both MorphOS and AmigaOS makes a tutorial how to configure MorphOS to make it work and look like AmigaOS? I think there is more than one who would start to use it then.

And of course explaining differences where necessary

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2014, 06:09:13 PM »
Quote from: LiveForIt;769136

Some who has only used a Amiga 500 / Workbench 1.2 will most likely not know what MUI is.

None of this are bundled with AmigaOS 3.x, most people don't have USB on classic Amiga, and True colors, sure some one who has spent a lot of money on upgrades maybe.

Became a part of AmigaOS 3.5/3.9, it was not part of AmigaOS 3.1, some one who has not used Amiga in few years might find it strange to configure.

Some people like Dopus5 and some don't, this is about individual taste, we do not all like the same thing, for the most part I like to use workbench because I feel I have better control when dragging icons around. Besides I see all buttons as clutter on the screen, when just want to start and find some thing.

BTW what are you talking about? If you read his first post carefully it is obvious that he uses AOS4 and MorphOS and prefers MorphOS because of hardware detection but prefers AmigaOS because of look&feel and wants MorphOS to look&feel like AmigaOS. It has nothing to do with 3.1. and which technology is there (or not). Besides you seem to have wrong impressions of what is available on 68k.

He has: "A1200T 060@80MHz | A500 Plus 030@25MHz | Pegasos II G4@1GHz"

What you write is also true for AOS4. How many ECS games work there? (without UAE)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 06:23:20 PM by OlafS3 »

Offline pVC

« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2014, 06:23:37 PM »
Quote from: LiveForIt;769136

It's pretty clear if you read the documentation. User should never touch files in MOSSYS:, all files user install will go to SYS: just like on real Amiga.

MorphOS's goal is to continue where high end Amigas were left. I don't think it would have any success if you'd be limited to Workbench 1.2 functionlity in it.

Yet it is available for OS3.1 too and it is de facto standard.

So you also understand that some like Dopus5 more. It would be kind of difficult to please all people with default setup, don't you think? You have to select one. Nothing stops you doing things in old plain WB style either and configure the setup and disable all new features.

As well as OS4... pretty fine if you run it on CSPPC/BPPC :)

Offline LiveForIt

« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2014, 06:34:30 PM »
Quote from: OlafS3;769140
BTW what are you talking about? If you read his first post carefully

The comment I quoted was directed towards “Danbeaver”, not the first poster of this topic.

It has nothing to do with 3.1. and which technology is there (or not).

I'm just saying it might be confusing for some that used Amiga in 80's and trying out MorphOS now after many years, there is a lot that has changed.

Besides you seem to have wrong impressions of what is available on 68k.

I was more referring to what people know back in 80's and 90's, and it is possible that I do not know about every 68k program that exist, I was not active on Amiga in late 90's my self, I only kept my self up to date by buying AmigaFromat magazines etc. in 97 I waited for A/BOX in 98/99 I was one of people hoped for BoXeR to come out.

Anyway I'm trying to hint at is that people have different configurations and hardware upgrades they are used to.

People that use MorphOS take it for granted that people have lot of experience with software from late 90's, I'm not sure that's always the case. Hardware availability has been big problem for AmigaOS users for many years.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 06:39:40 PM by LiveForIt »

Offline pVC

« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2014, 06:48:47 PM »
Quote from: LiveForIt;769145
in 97 I waited for A/BOX

Then you should be happy with MorphOS, because its HW origins are with phase5 (A\Box) and MorphOS itself runs in a sandbox called ABox :)

People that use MorphOS take it for granted that people have lot of experience with software from late 90's, I'm not sure that's always the case. Hardware availability has been big problem for AmigaOS users for many years.

So how would you suggest it should be instead? Not having those components from later days at all and have only minimal things supported (no usb, no soundcards, no network...)? Or build that functionality over totaly new or alien solution which everyone should learn from zero instead of having things familiar at least for some people?

Offline LiveForIt

« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2014, 07:42:21 PM »
Quote from: pVC;769147
Then you should be happy with MorphOS, because its HW origins are with phase5 (A\Box) and MorphOS itself runs in a sandbox called Abox

Well I remember Phase5 promised round and triangular shaped windows.
There was a lot promises, there was not clear what it was going to be, I was hoping for some thing like AmigaOS4.0, back then.

So the Pegasus 1 is based on the A\Box design, well that computer as lot in common with Eyetech machines, same MAI Logic ArticiaS Northbrige, a big disappointment. Anyway I most say my AmigaONE-XE G4 is holding up well despite all that. Its now mostly used for software testing this days.

So how would you suggest it should be instead?

I think MorphOS already has its own identity, and its own supports, I think it be impossible to turn back the clock.
I'm shore the users and developers will define what its going to be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tfy5CBfjZ8s

I think be really hard to be every thing at once, anyway the once that try normally ends up with some bloated gimmick. I also believe doing things right, I'm shore people have different opinion of what the “right” thing is, but you normally do know you did the right thing, because then you know you don't need to redo some thing.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 08:16:04 PM by LiveForIt »

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by eliyahu
Re: OS delemma
« Reply #29 from previous page: July 16, 2014, 10:01:14 PM »
@thread

after off-topic posts, trolling, insults to members, and all of the rest, this thread has been heavily cleaned up. if you have a problem with it, take it to PM. if you bring up moderation policy in this thread, expect a vacation from the site. let's keep it on the topic at-hand.

this is the only warning i'm going to give on this.

-- eliyahu
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 10:12:46 PM by eliyahu »
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here."