Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Why Linux is Not for You!  (Read 7268 times)

Description:

Offline Siggy

• Show all replies
Re: Why Linux is Not for You!
« on: April 19, 2003, 07:18:01 AM »
I think the bottom line is 'Does my computer do what I want or need' -- for somethings Linux is perfectly suited, for others it's not (yet).

I first played with Linux in the early 90's when myself and a friend wanted to add a MUD to our multi-line chat BBS.  The price was right (not free -- we bought a distro -- but cheaper than other avenues).  We later expanded it to give our members Usenet, eventually after I left the project they expanded it to full internet access (or by that times standards of 'full').

Later after I left my Amiga in Australia and moved over to America I needed a cheap OS to run on a box I'd thrown together from spare parts.. I wanted to program and share my wifes internet connection for email and telnet -- once again it was Linux to the rescue..  It fulfilled my needs, and continues to do so.

When my wife was hit hard by several virus attacks in the late 90's -- she was fed up the loss of data - costs of updating her OS and various software packages -- so she asked me if Linux would do what she needed.  Email, IRC, ICQ, touching up photos, printing documents.
Her needs were pretty simple (now expanded to playing music and making CD's) -- and she picked up Linux and started using it.. It filled her needs and continues to do so.

My wife acts as the litmus test for distros as they come out -- she is hardly a computer whizz, but she handles her own updates and software upgrades -- and some of the minor admin on her machine.
She couldn't solve a mouse conflict under windows - or install a scanner, but after living with Linux she's picking it up and learning by herself (she's starting to RTFM - or at least getting interested enough to start solving her own computer problems).

On the downside, my career expanded to where I make more than half my income from freelance editing -- so I have to keep a Windows box for that (I could go Mac, but that means a large chunk of cash up front to replace everything).  And Linux may have some solutions for video editing, but they are nowhere near mature enough for what I need..  
I tell people 'I didn't choose Windows -- it chose me'.

In the end I'd say 'does the computer you have do what you need/want'?

If it does - it's the right computer.
If it doesn't -- time to change.

Siggy.

The TV business is uglier than most things.
 It is normally perceived as some kind of cruel and shallow money trench through the heart of the Journalism industry, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs,