Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: $2000 to the first person who ports Mozilla to Amiga OS  (Read 4658 times)

Description:

Offline Hooligan_DCS

• Show only replies by Hooligan_DCS
Re: $2000 to the first person who ports Mozilla to Amiga OS
« Reply #29 from previous page: May 20, 2003, 03:39:04 PM »
iBrowse? Yer, good project, but in no way should it take those funds from a project that could set future development of AmigaOS. I mean, when you port Mozilla, your getting not just an app, but an Environment in which to run Mozilla applications.

Soon, Mozilla will only be an environment, and you'll have with your mozilla package, a standalone browser, mailclient and maybe a few other things.

Porting Mozilla will make it so much easier to port applications written for mozilla.

That is as i see it, more important than anything else!!!!

(firebird will soon become the default browser of the mozilla package)

Before a complete and working Mozilla is ported, I have spent two years in retirement home  :-)

With IBrowse, the timeline is much much faster. Also many people actually don't like Mozilla.. me included. But what the heck, it's the same for me. If there will be a Mozilla port for MOS, I gladly donate money. If there will be a major update for IBrowse, I gladly donate money.

Offline PyromaniaTopic starter

• Sent from my Quantum Computer
    • Show only replies by Pyromania
    • http://www.discreetfx.com
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2003, 04:40:26 PM »
MorphOS is one of the targeted systems for the AmiZilla port. As is Amiga OS 3.9 & 4.0.  Pot is now @ $2271

Offline DaveP

• Show only replies by DaveP
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2003, 05:48:54 PM »

Well, I guess it's time for all the trolls who say they've "had it running" or "almost had it working" to come out and put up.

I see. As someone who has had it running on an x-server and sort of working badly on reaction I guess you include me in that.

Well, ignoring the juvenile insult "Troll" ( which of course is *soooo* motivationary ) do you think the final bit of motivation needed to get back to work on this is financial?

#1 $2000 wouldn't pay a weeks salary for me
#2 The reasons I stopped work on it were well documented
#3 I have other projects that are more important to me than writing apps for rude sods like yourself.
#4 I have a job, after that comes my home life, after that comes entertainment and after that comes my own projects and then after that, maybe, if Im not busy picking my nose, comes sating other peoples jeering attempts to get me to do things for them.

Why do I suspect it'll be quite a while before we see anything, though?

See yours and others attitudes to those that do work on ports and who pull the developers down at the first minor bug. See the real costs of development. See the fact that money is not the incentive that is missing.

Point is, if anyone does this now trolls ( like you - but I gave you the reaction you wanted so I guess Im feeding you ) are going to say "they only did it for the money" which runs against certainly my upbringing.

See hell freeze over before those you just insulted "put up".

:-x
Hate figure. :lol:

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2003, 06:43:34 PM »
#1 $2000 wouldn't pay a weeks salary for me

Good lord you make over 100K/Year? You are wealthy and you can fund the project yourself;-)
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

Offline AxE

• Show only replies by AxE
    • http://web.ukonline.co.uk/mark.ricketts/
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2003, 08:36:22 PM »
taken from the site

"Keep in mind programmers this effort should work on @ least Amiga OS 3.9, WinUAE, Amithlon, MorphOS, AROS, Amiga OS 4.0, etc. so everyone can benefit from the effort"

great idea, the last best hope for getting this browser to amigaOS, but i cant seem to get there website to work in moz 1.3.1 :crazy: (none of the links work)
\\"You cannot kill what
doesnt die\\" - Anthrax

Offline cycloid

• Show only replies by cycloid
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2003, 08:36:25 PM »
stuff mozilla! i lurve Netscape 7's Gecko engine... it's bloody fast at rendering pages and of cours w3c compliant (well, it claims to be) ....

i want gecko!

still, me is downloading the latest mozilla mac source as we type :-D  $2k will pay off my credit card nicelly.... only problem is that i've only just learnt how to open a window in AOS !  :-)  :-P  ;-)

Offline alx

« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2003, 09:48:03 PM »
@cycloid

stuff mozilla! i lurve Netscape 7's Gecko engine... it's bloody fast at rendering pages and of cours w3c compliant (well, it claims to be) ....

i want gecko!

Gecko is the main part of Mozilla, developed by the Mozilla open source team!   When Netscape realised that they were really loosing the browser wars, the opened their source code, making the Mozilla project.  Netscape is practiacally just a stable Mozilla release branded as netscape :-)

« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2003, 10:14:08 PM »
Amiga Inc. vs Genesi donation Challenge now up on AmiZilla website, will the real Amiga please stand up.

Pot now @ $2321

Offline Hooligan_DCS

• Show only replies by Hooligan_DCS
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2003, 10:33:30 PM »
stick different userclubs vs userclubs there aswell

Offline Hammer

• Show only replies by Hammer
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2003, 01:15:21 AM »
Then again, Mozilla is so mind-numbingly slow, no doubt the OS4/MOS people will want a native port...

Just throw processing power** (and RAMs) at the problem… The PowerPC G3/G4@ 800Mhz (with 68K JIT) is not that slow.

**Also, applicable to JIT-68k AmigaOS (on X86 hardware).
Amiga 1200 PiStorm32-Emu68-RPI 4B 4GB.
Ryzen 9 7900X, DDR5-6000 64 GB, RTX 4080 16 GB PC.

Offline Argo

• Show only replies by Argo
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2003, 01:15:32 AM »
See yours and others attitudes to those that do work on ports and who pull the developers down at the first minor bug. See the real costs of development. See the fact that money is not the incentive that is missing.

Some people just don't see the value of a skill or of the time and effort involved. Either that or they are envyous.
I only wish I had such programming skill and encourage any that do to apply their skill.
The vocal majority are always the one that have something or the need to complain. Wouldn't it be nice if the quite majority that are the content and appreciative one were to voice their praise?

« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2003, 03:34:06 AM »
Thanx to the great Amiga developer individual Computers and a few others the pot is now @ $2666.

Offline cycloid

• Show only replies by cycloid
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2003, 11:37:32 AM »
re: gecko

i'm so embarrassed 8-)

re: the source

well i sucked 32mb of mac source through my poor weedy 56k modem only to find it's in some really dodgy dmg disc image / archive thing that i cant get into in windows! eek

and i STILL cant find anyone in the world who owns a windows hosted gnu (mingw etc) that targets 68k-amiga. surely someone must have figured THAT out by now with all the UAE/AROS/am*thlon ports floating about! (if in could have one then i'd have a proper use for my windows box  :-D  )

Offline KennyR

• Show only replies by KennyR
    • http://wrongpla.net
« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2003, 02:45:29 PM »
Just throw processing power** (and RAMs) at the problem… The PowerPC G3/G4@ 800Mhz (with 68K JIT) is not that slow.

**Also, applicable to JIT-68k AmigaOS (on X86 hardware).

From what I've seen of Mozilla on very fast PCs, throwing CPU power at it makes it usable but not fast. My family would rather use slow buggy IE simply because it actually loads within 30 seconds.

Offline Tomas

• Show only replies by Tomas
« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2003, 04:32:53 PM »
My family would rather use slow buggy IE simply because it actually loads within 30 seconds.

Why IE loads faster is cause IE is allways cached in memory, its allways running....

Offline PPCRulez

• Show only replies by PPCRulez
« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2003, 04:36:54 PM »
I know I'll probably get flamed for this, but a 68k port seems kind of pointless. Since OS4 and MOS is PPC-based, go for a PPC port. Porting a huge project like this for a dead cpu (68k) is not time well spent IMHO.

Not only would Mozilla benefit from the PPC cpu, it would also encourage and motivate people to buy an A1 or a PegasOS.