Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Broadband -Overkill?  (Read 2574 times)

Description:

Broadband -Overkill?
« on: February 17, 2003, 09:58:26 PM »
I wonder if I can use my PPC Amiga on broadband?
What hardware do I need?
Something special I should be aware of, like possible difficulties?

Offline N7VQM

• Show only replies by N7VQM
Re: Broadband
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2003, 10:12:17 PM »

Viking wrote:
I wonder if I can use my PPC Amiga on broadband?
What hardware do I need?
Something special I should be aware of, like possible difficulties?

As I recall, the AmigaOne is supposed to have 10/100 Mpbs hardware on-board.  (Any one care to confirm this?)  I don't see USB-only broadband modems being an option for alittle while, at least.

The more important problem is wether your prospective broadband provider uses DHCP or PPPoE.
\\"...an error of 1 is much less significant in counting the population of the Earth than in counting the occupants of a phone booth.\\" - Michael T. Heath, Scientific Computing...

Offline Herewegoagain

• Show only replies by Herewegoagain
    • Http://www.ncscaug.us
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2003, 10:16:24 PM »
The short answer is yes you can.

For hardware, you would need an ethernet card to connect to either a cable modem or DSL modem.  The version of DSL modem available to you depends on the area you are in usually.  In the US, if you request an ethernet based modem, they will give you one, but otherwise you'll wind up with a USB modem which would need drivers.  The ethernet card should come with a networking software of some type.  My Ariadne II card came with Genesis, and I've got it connecting my 040 based A3000 to the internet through my Cable modem and a Linksys router.  Works great.  
North and South Carolina Users interested in a \\\'local\\\' user group should visit NCSC Amiga Users Group page and sign up for membership. It\\\'s free!

Offline Herewegoagain

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2003, 10:22:47 PM »
As I recall, the AmigaOne is supposed to have 10/100 Mpbs hardware on-board. (Any one care to confirm this?) I don't see USB-only broadband modems being an option for alittle while, at least

You are right about the AmigaOne.   But if he has a PPC Amiga already, he can just add an ethernet card and go.

The more important problem is wether your prospective broadband provider uses DHCP or PPPoE.

Exactly.  If it is a cable modem, it's standard DHCP, but DSL is usually PPPoE (or PPPoA).
North and South Carolina Users interested in a \\\'local\\\' user group should visit NCSC Amiga Users Group page and sign up for membership. It\\\'s free!

Offline The_Editor

• Show only replies by The_Editor
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2003, 10:34:42 PM »
>PPPoE (or PPPoA).

Its the one thats NOT supported !!

You didn't think we would get it easy did you??

We have to go all the usual rig maroll crap just to get online....  Nothing sensible, like just plugging in a USB modem and its working!!
The Reluctant Pom

Offline Herewegoagain

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2003, 10:43:49 PM »
Its the one thats NOT supported !!

Right, but he didn't say what kind of broadband.  It maybe cable.  But if it is DSL and has ethernet on the modem, he can still put a router in there to do the PPPoE stuff.  It's the PPPoA that will cause problems.  But as someone else pointed out recently, there are some routers now that will even connect to some USB modems.  

You didn't think we would get it easy did you??

Nope.  It never is for Amiga!

We have to go all the usual rig maroll crap just to get online.... Nothing sensible, like just plugging in a USB modem and its working!!

Yeah, but that is again, only if he is using a USB modem.  Which at this point, is not an option for Amiga (well, you can plug it in but you won't have any drivers)   :-D

Offline N7VQM

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2003, 07:38:57 PM »

Herewegoagain wrote:
You are right about the AmigaOne.   But if he has a PPC Amiga already, he can just add an ethernet card and go.

Ahh...for some reason I equated PPC Amiga to A1.  My apologies.  However, as far as hardware for a Zorro-based Amiga, I would recommend the XSurf card.  I used one in my A3k and it worked great.  Minimal hassle.

Exactly.  If it is a cable modem, it's standard DHCP, but DSL is usually PPPoE (or PPPoA).

That may not always be true.  PPPoE can be used on a cablemodem system and may be easier to manage that DHCP in some cases.  You have to ask before getting the service.
\\"...an error of 1 is much less significant in counting the population of the Earth than in counting the occupants of a phone booth.\\" - Michael T. Heath, Scientific Computing...

Offline N7VQM

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2003, 07:47:52 PM »

Herewegoagain wrote:
Yeah, but that is again, only if he is using a USB modem.  Which at this point, is not an option for Amiga (well, you can plug it in but you won't have any drivers)   :-D

Based on my experiance with USB-connected cable modems, I don't think they're much of an option for Windows, much less Amiga.  I had no end of problems including intermittant connection loss and machine crashes when my IP changed.  Plus, I was getting tired of stringing my Amiga to my PC with a serial connection.  So, once I had had enough, I got ethernet cards for my machines and an SMC router for the bunch.  Now, I can honestly say I'm happy with my cable modem.

Offline Damion

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2003, 10:54:41 AM »
My DSL ISP uses direct routing and static IP
address assigning, which made setup a complete
breeze....after I spent countless hours to
discover that my network card was bad.

edit rest  

Offline lempkee

• Show only replies by lempkee
    • http://www.amigaguru.com
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2003, 10:57:28 AM »
i have had broadband for about 3 years now, using a nat-ip router , the amiga hw needed is just a network card and a tcpip stack..

i use miamidX , but genesis works fine aswell.

Whats up with all the hate!

Offline Herewegoagain

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2003, 12:20:42 PM »
That may not always be true. PPPoE can be used on a cablemodem system and may be easier to manage that DHCP in some cases. You have to ask before getting the service.

Well, maybe.  I've dealt with Adelphia and Time Warner Cable (Road Runner) and they both use DHCP.  At least in this area.  I've never heard of them offering PPPoE service, but maybe they do, I've never asked either one.

Based on my experiance with USB-connected cable modems, I don't think they're much of an option for Windows, much less Amiga. I had no end of problems including intermittant connection loss and machine crashes when my IP changed.

Exactly.  This is the same thing I hear from so many people who are using a USB based cable modem.  That's why when people ask my opinion as they are about to get Cable or DSL, I always tell them that which ever way they go, be sure and ask for an ethernet capable modem.  It makes the most sense to put a router in there and let it do your firewall, and that makes sharing between a couple of computers a snap at the same time.

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2003, 01:27:53 AM »

Herewegoagain wrote:

Right, but he didn't say what kind of broadband.  It maybe cable.  But if it is DSL and has ethernet on the modem, he can still put a router in there to do the PPPoE stuff.  It's the PPPoA that will cause problems.  But as someone else pointed out recently, there are some routers now that will even connect to some USB modems.  

Thanks to all of you, I understand a bit more now.

It's the ADSL kind of broadband. I've asked my ISP, they use the PPPoE-system. And they don't use USB-modems.
So the only thing I need is a network-card and a router? Does it matter what network-card and what router I buy? Is some better than others?

Hardware description:
A-4000 Tower
Cyberstorm PPC 233 / 060-50
CyberVision PPC, 8 MB
66 MB RAM
HD, CD ++
SCSI Wide
Kickstart 3.1
OS 3.9

I also got a PC, a Compaq Armada laptop. It has a network-card. I want to connect both computers to a router if possible.
I don't know much about this, so I got a lot to learn...
Any more comments?

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2003, 05:25:40 PM »

-D- wrote:

If they use DHCP for IP assigning and PPPoE
for routing (likely) a router is probably a good
idea becasue the current amiga tcp/ip stacks
don't always handle those two very well with
broadband. MiamiDX probably would, but there's
that whole nonsense with that...

"tcp / ip stacks...."
I'm afraid I don't understand what you're talking about, can you or somebody else explain?
Thanks

Offline hnl_dk

• Show only replies by hnl_dk
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2003, 05:31:33 PM »
If you have an old IA32 computer standing, then you could try to give CoyoteLinux a try ... it works perfectly ... www.coyotelinux.com

It can be set up as an DHCP/PPPoE/... client and also as a server it's the best router/DHCP-server/... I know :-D
Best regards,
Henning Nielsen Lund [Denmark]...

Offline Herewegoagain

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2003, 05:57:04 PM »
"tcp / ip stacks...."
I'm afraid I don't understand what you're talking about, can you or somebody else explain?
Thanks....

TCP/IP is basically a protocol that gets bound to your network card (I'll try to keep it simple) so that it obtains a network number to communicate with other computers on the same network, in this case, the internet.  This number is issued by a server from your ISP which is called a DHCP server.  Once you connect,  the DHCP server issues your computer a number so you can communitcate over this network.  It also issues gateway, and DNS numbers to allow proper routing of everything.  

It's not important to understand how it all works, as most of this will happen automatically for you with a router.  You will only have to set the router to use PPPoE and put in your user account and password info.  Normally, this will be all that is required.  And you can usually configure the router via a web browser.  The router will then act as the DHCP server for all of your computers locally on your internal network.  I hope this helps understand a little more.