Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Os 3.1.4 Thread  (Read 254489 times)

Description:

Offline paul1981

Re: The Os 3.1.4 Thread
« on: March 22, 2019, 11:05:36 AM »
where is the new Disk Doctor located??? I can't even find it on the OS3.14 disks ?

He was struck off in the 80's.  ;D

Offline paul1981

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2019, 08:40:33 PM »
It all works  now.  Very strange.  I messed with it a little more,   unplugging and plugging cables from the SCSI2SD itself, as well as reinstalling the ROM, and, then it booted from the SCSI2SD.  Maybe a bad connection.

Or a glitch in the matrix  8)

Offline paul1981

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2019, 12:05:00 PM »
  And the other "wish" is a fix for the high res. pointer slanting on native amiga screens (and that one surely isn't an easy fix).   This has been there since 3.0...

Could you please try to describe with more detail this issue you find?

Easier to see with pictures:

a) NTSC Hires Laced with Hires pointer (aspect ratio is messed)
b) Multiscan with Hires Pointer (pointer looks okay).

On a Hires or Hires Laced PAL/NTSC screen with a Hires pointer the pointer will not be interlaced. Is this what you mean? On a Multiscan screen you will get a Hires pointer of a double vertical resolution too (640x480 which matches the screen mode). Remember also that the aspect ratio of 640x480 is different to 640x400 which does make a difference. I believe there is a program on aminet to Lace the pointer.

Offline paul1981

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2019, 09:35:18 PM »

Not sure if related to pointer interlace or not but that sounds like the issue or the affect that is happening.  On a hires screen (no interlace), why would the pointer need to laced? I can kind of understand it for hires interlace but not hires.   

The "http://aminet.net/package/util/misc/LacePointer" only works for lores pointer mode.   LoRes pointer mode does not seem to have any strange affects in the aspect ratio from what I recall or seen recently in other screenmodes...I haven't check thoroughly though.

I was just stating that the pointer on a Hires PAL or NTSC screen will not be interlaced even if in an interlaced mode. I suppose Commodore chose this behaviour because an interlaced pointer would drive the user crazy without a flicker fixer (only minority of users had these)...who knows?! That's my best guess.

Interestingly though, when this happens and the user is using a Hires pointer on a Hires Laced screen, obviously the pointer accuracy is only at half vertical resolution because it's not laced...but this isn't quite true. I just tested it with the multiple selection (hold left mouse down to select icons) and you do get the full vertical resolution accuracy in reality, but the pointer only updates it's vertical position on every 2nd row (it can't do any other as it's not laced). If you use the keyboard controls to move the mouse you can clearly see this behaviour - a movement left or right is one keypress at a time per pixel, but for the vertical direction it takes two keypresses to move the mouse pointer that you see, but Workbench does 'see' that bit inbetween that it couldn't show with the pointer so the mouse does actually run at full laced resolution. I think there should be an option to lace the pointer in interlaced screenmodes via Pointer Prefs. I haven't tested A multiscan interlaced screen, but I'd bet that the pointer would not be laced either.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 09:37:56 PM by paul1981 »