Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Os 3.1.4 Thread  (Read 240773 times)

Description:

Offline wmaciv

• Show all replies
    • My linkedin profile
Re: The Os 3.1.4 Thread
« on: December 23, 2018, 05:34:37 PM »
Just installed 3.1.4 (ROM and disks). Previous install was patched exec 3.1 (to allow full 060 to boot), running Thor's MuLIb suite with zero problems. Now, using Thor MuLib (latest) with 3.1.4, unless I set SetPatch to "NOCACHE", the CPU CHECKINSTALL command on the very next line of the Startup-sequence will crash the system without fail.

If I then boot into WB the only way that seems to work, with SetPatch NOCACHE QUIET, then open a shell window and type "CPU", it returns the correct CPU setup, but the Data Cache and Data Burst are disabled (off).

If I then try to command "CPU CACHE", about 75% of the time the system will lock up and guru, the other 25% I am able to activate the Data Cache and Burst.

Everything worked great with the previous 3.1 installation (patched exec) and latest distribution of MUlibs, but now, this...

Anyone have any ideas? Thomas?

Thanks.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 05:48:54 PM by wmaciv »

Offline wmaciv

• Show all replies
    • My linkedin profile
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2018, 08:40:54 PM »
Egregious error in the post; forgot to mention that this is an A2000 with a GVP A2000-040 combo with 060 adapter, 64MB GVP SIMM RAM, and GuruROM.  I looked around a1k.org and found a few mentions of possible problems with this card setup?  Still do not understand how 3.1 ROM with your MuLIbs works flawlessly, but the new SetPatch / CPU command in 3.1.3 seems to make the system unstable when any attempt to enable Data Cache is made.

Offline wmaciv

• Show all replies
    • My linkedin profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2018, 02:46:09 PM »
Ok, waiting for another copy of the 3.1.4 ROM, but the "crashing" seems to involve any command invoked form the "C" directory once the Data Cache on the 060 is enabled.  Assign, Ed, CPU, etc., all generate an immediate crash.  Why only the C directory commands?  Is this REALLY because the ROM chip is too "slow"?  I though after installing MuLibs and remapping KS to RAM, all calls were placed against the re-mapped copy in RAM anyway?  Still does not explain why the exact same hardware setup worked fine with 3.1 and the current MuLibs distribution; nothing else changed. 

Offline wmaciv

• Show all replies
    • My linkedin profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2018, 02:48:07 PM »
Understand about the isolating the problem (which is ongoing).  Really do not want to go back to 3.1 with patched exec. Absolutely ove MuLibs and think Thomas probably ought to charge for it :).  The hardware I am using is definitely in the realm of "edgy", as it is the GVP G-Force A2000-040 with 060 adapter running at 75MHz.  It was rock stable in last config (3.1 / MuLibs), so will continue to fight the good fight and see if a I can make it work with 3.1.4 / MuLibs. 

I am close to starting the Zeus 040 along the same path, just waiting for the updated device driver ROMs to arrive.  I want to see if I can get 3.1.4 working well with an 060 adapter on the Zeus.  Had one on the card temporarily running at 70MHz under 3.1 with MuLibs a while back, but wanted to wait until I could get the repaired 53C710 device driver before really going full bore.  At least with the Zeus, I have the option of mapping a little bit of the onboard RAM to the ZII address space at boot. 

Offline wmaciv

• Show all replies
    • My linkedin profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2018, 02:58:38 PM »
You know, the one I have now came from the sordan.ie fellas advertising on Amibay.  The ROM is the produced is completely covered by the registration/serial number sticker and I am loath to peel it back to see.  The patched exec 3.1 I was recently using was 120ns AMD.  I am supposed to be receiving my second kit of ROM+disks today from Amiga on the Lake and will see what shows up.

Offline wmaciv

• Show all replies
    • My linkedin profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2018, 01:39:27 AM »
Both the new ROM's (3.1.4) and the original 3.1 patched exec ROM are 150ns.  No explanation there...