Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Os 3.1.4 Thread  (Read 240207 times)

Description:

Offline NinjaCyborg

Re: The Os 3.1.4 Thread
« on: October 11, 2018, 06:40:05 PM »
I just wanted to add my thanks to everyone involved in this project. I think it's just brilliant.

Offline NinjaCyborg

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2018, 08:02:23 PM »

I don't know of a good framework to test C code either, even less so for OS and OS ROM and libraries... Could you explain in more details what you mean about "It is not designed to be testable"?

He means, you can't easily do test driven development, or have test traceability, which is much easier to do with object oriented code. Plus there's nothing like selenium that could drive the UI automatically to test GUI stuff.

Offline NinjaCyborg

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2018, 09:46:05 AM »
Thomas, this doesn't matter - Hyperion delivered me something slightly different than what he was delivering to the people purchasing the product few days earlier, and I didn't get any information about it before the purchase. If there was a legal flaw within the copyright and they were required to stop distributing the old version, the proper action would be to bump the Kickstart version number (46.143 -> 46.144) and specify the version being sold on the web page, together with a short changelog ("just some copyright strings changed, due to legal reasons") - that's it. A "legal bugfix" release, probably no one would get angry.

I purchased more than I needed to support the development. But silently changing the product without notifying the customers is DEFINITELY NOT something I am willing to support in the future.

A non-code change doesn't require a revision change. If you love Amiga it shouldn't be too difficult to forgive minor imperfections.

Offline NinjaCyborg

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2018, 11:26:13 AM »
Minor imperfection (lack of version bump) - such things I easily forgive, no matter whether it is Amiga or not.
Company behaviour I consider unfair (lack of notification about collectors/nostalgia product change) - much less likely.

This was a code change - the resulting binary is different.

The code section of the binary is not different only the data section.

Offline NinjaCyborg

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2019, 11:20:19 AM »
the iconpack is a set of icons in the same style as 3.1.4 glowicons, for you to put on your work: drawers, projects and apps as you see fit. It's not the same as the workbench iconset on the storage disk. It's just in the same style.