Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: SOLVED - How to write syntax highlighting plugin for OS 3.2.2 TextEdit  (Read 1668 times)

Description:

Offline DownshiftDXTopic starter

• Show only replies by DownshiftDX
Good morning,

I am looking for help about how to write filetype plugins for TextEdit's syntax highlighting system in OS 3.2.2.

About a week ago I had a crazy idea about using an alternative editor for writing AMOS Pro code and just using the APCmp command to compile and test. This post is not about AMOS but about extending TextEdit with support for more languages than Arexx, C, Scripts, and Assembler. Please don't tell me to just use the AMOS editor because I don't think it is relevant or helpful as this will be useful for other things like editing AmigaGuide files, E, etc.

By peeking around inside Sys:Tools/TextEditFileTypes/Arexx that it was clear where the list of known keywords were and for fun I duplicated the file and made a few changes making sure things were aligned with the existing commands and my changes worked. I had a second Arexx entry in the TextEdit FileType menu but it worked. This has limits though and I am not interested in continually crashing TextEdit trying to find what to change to make the menu entry read something other than "Arexx" nor do I want to figure out how to extend the number of keywords or what is considered a comment this way. I checked the NDK but didn't find anything with a template for the filetype plugins but then again, I am lousy with C, so it is possible I just didn't recognize it or what to do with it.

Anyone have any clue how to do this?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2023, 11:39:38 PM by DownshiftDX »

Offline Joloo

The following users thanked this post: DownshiftDX

Offline DownshiftDXTopic starter

• Show only replies by DownshiftDX
Re: How to write syntax highlighting plugin for OS 3.2.2 TextEdit
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2023, 11:31:00 PM »
Thanks Joloo. I will look into it.