Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: OS/4 OpenLinux  (Read 3722 times)

Description:

Offline Methuselas

• Show all replies
Re: OS/4 OpenLinux
« on: July 20, 2013, 06:58:31 AM »
Quote from: Argo;741378
Any one seen this yet?

http://www.os4online.com/

Created a bit of a buzz over at AROS-EXEC. Though noone is sure what the aim is. Some kind of Amiga Linux mash up, but I'm not sure that was the original aim. Seems to be shooting for something like AEros but muttling their way there as the devs come from Linux.

Then again, they might get sued before they figure it out and get Amiga stuff working.

Didn't some guys a couple of years ago split from AROS and decided to do a linux distro, that had folders like AOS, looked liked AOS and functioned like AOS, but was linux under the hood? The name is escaping me right now. I remember Nicholas and I discussing it back in the day.....

I think it was called Icarus or something like that. Not Icaros, mind you. They had a page for a while, but I seem to remember it never going anywhere.
\'Using no way as way. Having no limitation as limitation.\' - Bruce Lee

\'No, sorry. I don\'t get my tits out. They\'re not actually real, you know? Just two halves of a grapefruit...\' - Miki Berenyi

\'Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.\' - Dark Helmet :roflmao:

\'And for future reference, it might be polite to ask someone if you can  quote them in your signature, rather than just citing them to make a  sales pitch.\' - Karlos. :rtf

Offline Methuselas

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 07:13:15 AM »
Quote from: Duce;741380
Wasn't that the one offering grand deals at $115 for the distro with Amiga Forever here recently?

No, originally, it was some guys that worked on or with the AROS people. Then, they created some sort of fork, but realized they couldn't do what they wanted to do with AROS, so they had this grandiose idea of making an environment that was Amiga OS, but everything under the hood, was linux. That way, all the drivers were linux drivers, it used GL, etc, but it was supposed to feel exactly like running the Amiga OS. I remember remarking how it was similar to Amithlon, in the driver aspect, but like I said, it never went anywhere. I wish I could remember the name......

I came across it on here. I don't and haven't really ever frequented another Amiga site. During the "great purge" where everyone else ran off to create the "perfect Amiga site", I stayed here, with all unwanted. ;)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 07:15:24 AM by Methuselas »

\'No, sorry. I don\'t get my tits out. They\'re not actually real, you know? Just two halves of a grapefruit...\' - Miki Berenyi

\'And for future reference, it might be polite to ask someone if you can  quote them in your signature, rather than just citing them to make a  sales pitch.\' - Karlos. :rtf

Offline Methuselas

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 12:51:16 AM »
Quote from: nicholas;741438
I wish I had the money to fly over for this years AmiWest, I hear it's going to be the best one ever!

Mind you I don't fancy the colonoscopy by the TSA when I land on US soil because I'm on several lists for being a "ne'er do well Shi'ite Muslim Fundamentalist". Lol

Nice to see we still have things in common. ;P Don't worry..... All that NSA spying is "exaggerated", so the Gov'ment tell us. ;)

Offline Methuselas

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 12:54:42 AM »
Quote from: wawrzon;741439
apparently the controversy causes unusual traffic on their sites which improves some rankings. who knows. might be all, but might be more to it.

I'm sure there is more to it. They're Cylons.

And they have a PLAN!!!!!!!!

LOL! Does this mean that the new OS4 mobos are the Final Five? I only ask, 'cos AmigaOne, AmigaOne-U (or whatever it was called), Sam 440, Sam 460, X1000. Coincidence? I think not! :insane: