Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Bernie Demos Pegasos/IMac UAE JIT for PPC  (Read 5184 times)

Description:

Offline anarchic_teapot

• Show only replies by anarchic_teapot
    • http://anarchic-teapot.net
Re: Bernie Demos Pegasos/IMac UAE JIT for PPC
« Reply #29 from previous page: June 15, 2003, 11:41:54 PM »
Will this be generally available for the mac? Amiga emulation under Mac OS X is very slow.

ARGH!! I HATE OSX! It's the bastard offspring of *nix and Windows XP made up to look like MacOS9. In the dark, with a light behind it.

After all of 6 hours' use, I'm seriously considering junking it for Linux, which doesn't have apps that seem to queue up to crash for you (of 10 mainstream apps tested, 7 crashed within a few minutes). Oh, if only I could install a PPC version of Berniethlon... but I'll settle for an updated UAE with JIT   :-D

Must agree with Ole-Egil though: if MOS already contains an emulator for 68K AOS, why in the name of sanity would it need another? Especially since this one wouldn't be incorporated into the OS itself?

Macs are a different kettle of fish altogether.
AT

Offline AmiGR

• Show only replies by AmiGR
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2003, 11:44:06 PM »
I know how you feel, like everytime there is an item on AOS 4 or AmigaOne there's always some prick with a Pegasos telling everyone how bad AOS/A1/AINC/Hyperion/Eyetech, is and so on. It's not needed at all if you are not interested in the platfrom in question and have nothing useful/productive to add then #### off.
--

First of all, this started with from the Amiga side first, at the time that everyone believed their legal threats.
Secondly, I only troll about Amiga Inc.
Please do not put Amiga Inc. in the same string as Hyperion.
I *DO* care about OS4 and that's why I flame Fleecy&Co.
I'm afraid that they will once again ruin the situation.
- AMiGR

Evil, biased mod from hell.

Offline peroxidechicken

• Show only replies by peroxidechicken
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2003, 12:02:53 AM »
I occasionally use this 2+ year old version of MacUAE on a 500MHz iMac (OS 9.1).  What it does, it does well so I won't bother with what it doesn't do.  Anyway, I've got a plain install of 3.1 on it and everything is incredibly fast - I've certainly never seen a fastfilesystem quite this fast before.  

Anyway, I'm more than positive about UAE on PPC (sounds like something a cheerleader would say...) and I'd really like to see it on non-throttled-system-bus with a 1+ GHz G4.
H2O2

Offline greenboy

• Show only replies by greenboy
    • http://PhiNiXi.com
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2003, 03:39:19 AM »
@olegil,

MOS doesn't NEED two, it just WANTS two! ; } Just like you want two forums to pursue your particular pointed question repeatedly ; }

And that's the Amiga community for ya...

@uncharted,

"I know how you feel, like everytime there is an item on MorphOS or Pegasos there's always some prick with a Teron  telling everyone how bad MorphOS/Pegaos is and so on. It's not needed at all if you are not interested in the platform in question and have nothing useful/productive to add then #### off."

I mean, really, it cuts both ways, and MorphOS was the ones to get piled onto for ages. Now it's pretty much certain people (and anonymous types) actually getting ugly about it continually. Most other people occasionally get a nudge or wink in ... and some even avoid going overly partisan whenever possible. Go figure ; }

Better to leave the whole "he hit me mommy" "well he hit me first" stuff in the scrapbook of our childhoods. Hey, maybe the hostility level would go a lot farther into the safe zone. Indeed: some are able to take a nudgey, a wink, or even a suggestion of possible future ways things could go without saying one CEO-type is a dirty so-and-so, when in fact the other side has had it's higher ups do similar. Even if some inferences might be there in BBRV's post it just doesn't seem like it should negate what else is said, and that post is certainly not outstanding in comparison to things said by others from the other camp.

And yet I never see you jumping out at them with rage. So maybe, just maybe, most of us including even greenboy could kind of examine our own actions and thoughts more, and those of others a tad less.

And so on. Now I must meditate on my transgressions -  hasta la vista pro a'ready  ; }
<-- greenboy ---<<<<

Offline meerschaum

• Show only replies by meerschaum
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2003, 04:23:31 AM »
if you asked me what one  single person has done the most for this community...it would be Bernie hands down... the guy has done so much for this community and taken so much flack, asking so little... I really admire the guy's spirit to keep comming back at it after the failure's and anti-sentiment he's encountered trying to build a viable product for all of us... if he could get in with Genesi and work with them on something I think it would be really terrific to see the synergy it could create... it really would be wonderful.

rock on bernie...

Offline Hammer

• Show only replies by Hammer
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2003, 04:27:00 AM »
Would there be an upgraded for the Cloanto’s Amiga Forever 5.x (AmigaOS licensed) package?

Does Bernie still have the official AmigaOS licenses?

It seems that there's maybe a slight** product overlap between the two (or three) AmigaOS licensees.    

**Hyperion has duty of officially progressing the AmigaOS (e.g. AmigaOS 4.x). While the other licensees focusing on AmigaOS 3.x.
Amiga 1200 PiStorm32-Emu68-RPI 4B 4GB.
Ryzen 9 7900X, DDR5-6000 64 GB, RTX 4080 16 GB PC.

Offline ksk

• Show only replies by ksk
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2003, 08:19:26 AM »
@Hammer

I think Cloanto can include this in the next version of AmigaForever, just like they have included the previous PPC UAE.

Offline fnord

• Show only replies by fnord
    • http://www.bundeskanzlerkandidatin.de
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2003, 10:11:48 AM »
Am I the only one who got to see MorphOS JIT working at some fair? In my case it was the CeBIT in Germany earlier this year. I was playing around with a Pegasos (especially with ImageFX AFAIR) at the Genesi booth and asked the (nice) person at the booth, why ImageFX did take so long to start up and wether that system was running with JIT enabled (I didn't know it wasn't released yet, mixed that up). So he told me: "no, no, JIT isn't released yet, but wait ...". So he fetched a CD, put it in, copied some libs, rebootet the Pegasos and all the emulated 68k apps were flying ....  :-D I was able to play a bit longer with MorphOS and JIT (as the booth wasn't very crowded) and it seemed to work pretty good back then, but I'm not able to tell you, HOW stable it was (hey, ~20min of testing aren't much). I just know that it wasn't crashing at every 2nd mouse click *g* No, seriously, it seemed to work pretty good . Frederik :-P
Give the anarchist a cigarette

Offline strobe

• Show only replies by strobe
    • http://216.239.51.100/search?q=cache:7XQQZXN3cS4C:www.amiga.com/corporate/amigadepartypack.shtml
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2003, 11:34:46 AM »
I hope he adds socket support :-D

Offline pixie

• Show only replies by pixie
    • http://savoc.tripod.com
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2003, 01:25:47 PM »
@greenboy

> MOS doesn't NEED two, it just WANTS two! ; } Just like you
> want two forums to pursue your particular pointed question
> repeatedly ; }

What I can't understand is why you claim olegil needs two forums to question the very same question repeatedly, when this reaction (where he repeats the same question on different forums) derivates by the very same repeated posts made by  BBRV here and on ann, and God knows where...

Olegil points a good question IMO, and maybe it's BBRV's interest not to answer, then the question to be made is why not...

I know BBRV is driven (and has to) by marketing and as such one of his main interests ought to be to spread his message all over, but just cut&paste msgs from one forums to another!?

And then you  point out others cuts, when your biggest friend do it all the time!?

There's a saying:
"Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, 'Brother, let me take the speck out of your eye,' when you yourself fail to see the plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye"
Luke 6:41-42

I'm hoping for the day where these fights end and instead of these splits on community, we could have parts working together in whichever model that may be… or at least not slagging each other to death…

pixie- writing from a paradise called Portugal

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2003, 05:28:03 PM »
I don't get this "Why do you need 2, how dare you want options" stuff. Options and varity never hurt any product IMO. I'm pretty happy with my Peggy/MOS, yet I wouldn't mind buying OS4 to play around with. You would rather me close my mind to alternatives if i am happy with a product? :-?
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

Offline uncharted

• Show only replies by uncharted
« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2003, 10:00:07 PM »
ARGH!! I HATE OSX! It's the bastard offspring of *nix and Windows XP made up to look like MacOS9. In the dark, with a light behind it.

After all of 6 hours' use, I'm seriously considering junking it for Linux, which doesn't have apps that seem to queue up to crash for you (of 10 mainstream apps tested, 7 crashed within a few minutes).

Well I guess its a matter of choice, there is no way I'd ever use OS9.x I find it sucks. Nearly 20 years of bodging has left a messy system with no system security, poor multitasking and just plain uglyness.

I find MacOS X (10.2.6) great, I use it as my sole operating system (aside from using a PC for Amiga Emu), and I never have any problems (and this is with REALLY intensive use).  

Compare this with MacOS 9 where like about the 3rd time I use it I tried installing a peice of software, my mac then crashed and refused to boot.

Offline uncharted

• Show only replies by uncharted
« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2003, 10:17:39 PM »
@Greenboy

I mean, really, it cuts both ways, and MorphOS was the ones to get piled onto for ages. Now it's pretty much certain people (and anonymous types) actually getting ugly about it continually. Most other people occasionally get a nudge or wink in ... and some even avoid going overly partisan whenever possible. Go figure ; }

Better to leave the whole "he hit me mommy" "well he hit me first" stuff in the scrapbook of our childhoods. Hey, maybe the hostility level would go a lot farther into the safe zone. Indeed: some are able to take a nudgey, a wink, or even a suggestion of possible future ways things could go without saying one CEO-type is a dirty so-and-so, when in fact the other side has had it's higher ups do similar. Even if some inferences might be there in BBRV's post it just doesn't seem like it should negate what else is said, and that post is certainly not outstanding in comparison to things said by others from the other camp.

And yet I never see you jumping out at them with rage. So maybe, just maybe, most of us including even greenboy could kind of examine our own actions and thoughts more, and those of others a tad less.

It just sounds to me that you are sticking up for Bill just because it's Bill.  It's like all those people who are attacked for sticking up for Amiga Inc. because they own the name.

Look closely at my avatar you'll see that the trolls are identical aside from the colour.

I'm afaid that although your last sentance certainly is true, the rest of your posting like Bill's and everyone elses that I pull up on is full of meaningless misdirections and finger pointing.  I'm still waiting for BBRV to actually come up with something a tad better that "Think harder or Look at the bigger picture".