Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hyperion bankrupt?  (Read 17120 times)

Description:

Offline Boot_WB

• Show only replies by Boot_WB
    • http://www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk
Re: Hyperion bankrupt?
« Reply #209 on: February 15, 2015, 05:05:12 PM »
@Iggy

That would be true if bankruptcy proceedings were only just beginning.

The bankruptcy proceedings are over, Hyperion had their chance to defend, lots and lots of paperwork and warnings would have been sent to their registered offices, most likely by recorded delivery, over a protracted period.

It is very serious, and whilst Hyperion may be 'rescued' (or not, plundering the assets may be cheaper than refloating the sunken boat), i doubt the ruling will be annulled.

It may also prevent certain people from holding directorship positions in future.

Either way, Hyperion will probably play Greece to AEon's Germany, with analogously punitive measures exacted for the rescue.
In the long term, probably good for OS4 if it survives the legal drama. Mind you, many of us thought that with the Hyperion vs Amiga Inc outcome...
Mac Mini G4 (1.5GHz, 64MB VRam, 1GB Ram): MorphOS 3.6
Powerbook 5.8 (15", 1.67GHz, 128MB VRam, 1GB Ram): MorphOS 3.8.

Windows-free since 2011-2014 (Damn you Netflix!)

Offline vidarh

• Show only replies by vidarh
« Reply #210 on: February 15, 2015, 05:18:25 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;784253
ACTUALLY, as a former business manager, contractor, and business owner your are VERY wrong.
This is NOT, as you put it "a very serious matter".
Its an attempt to collect a debt.

And one that would backfire in my own country where I would petition the court for chapter 11 protection.

I agree. I've personally been on the receiving end of this, and "beat it". \

In our case it was a conflict over the validity of a debt, and we got "ambushed" with a bankruptcy hearing at a time we weren't available, even though we were clearly solvent. This happens all the time, and courts definitively are not happy when they realise. All kinds of other mistakes happens too (e.g. cases where the creditor has genuine reason to believe the company is insolvent, or even where the company itself believes it may be insolvent).

A lot of companies survive bankruptcy claims with only minor hassle. Of course, for that to matter in this case Hyperion must be solvent, or able to become solvent with the assistance of the administrator, and I have no idea if that's the case.

Offline Yasu

• Show only replies by Yasu
« Reply #211 on: February 15, 2015, 05:19:56 PM »
Taken from Amigans:

Due to an administrative cock-up Hyperion weren't informormed about it until after the hearing. Now they have to appeal against the descision which will not be a problem, it will just take time. Development and Betatesting is going on as usual. No popcorn is required, don't panic and carry on as usual.

Offline James2002

• Show only replies by James2002
« Reply #212 on: February 15, 2015, 05:29:53 PM »
Quote from: eliyahu;784246
absolutely. there are certain people here who want to see hyperion fail, so they do everything to make it appear they have done. there are certain people here who want to see hyperion succeed, so they do everything to make it appear this is just a minor blip.

either way -- the only people who actually know anything for certain are the belgian courts, the receiver, mr. hermans and mr. de groote, and whomever filed the claim in the first place. everybody else is just guessing based on scant evidence. i highly suggest we wait and see what happens, both with hyperion and AOS4 development. :)

-- eliyahu

I like seeing people try to walk on water. :laughing:
I believe that it in appeal process. Based upon their facebook.
Message from Hyperion Entertainment Directors
The quote a famous writer: "the news of our demise is greatly exaggerated"
This is the result of an unfortunate administrative mishap by a third party and is in the process of being addressed/cleared up.
This may take a while as everything takes a while in Belgium whilst it comes to administrative and judicial matters.
Those dancing on our grave, sorry guys, no party here

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #213 on: February 15, 2015, 05:38:07 PM »
Again, and regardless of Belgium's ""one strike and your out" legal structure, this is NOT that serious a matter.
While I, like many of you, would wish Ben nothing but the worst of luck, it seems entirely likely that Hyperion will weather this difficulty without significant damage.

Governments, courts, and legal systems worldwide do not exist to hinder enterprise.
In fact, it is a common business principle that government and businesses partner to facilitate a beneficial business environment and assure financial success.

Would any of you care to challenge my virtually absolute conviction that this will all be worked out and that Hyperion will have no problem dealing with this...
Well, I'd be glad to rub your noses in your mistake over the months and years to come.

Jim
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline vidarh

• Show only replies by vidarh
« Reply #214 on: February 15, 2015, 05:57:40 PM »
Quote from: Boot_WB;784256
@Iggy
That would be true if bankruptcy proceedings were only just beginning.

That the initial proceedings are over just means that the court did not see evidence that gave them reason to throw out the initial claim, and so had reason to appoint an administrator to protect the interests of the creditors.

That's neither a big deal, nor scary if the company is actually solvent, as in that case the finding of a bankruptcy is generally invalid and can be easily overturned.

It's not at all unusual for bankruptcy courts (in general; I don't know specifics of Belgian courts) to be lenient about notification, on the assumption that an operating business will e.g. regularly process it's mail, and that the consequences of being overzealous can usually be easily rectified before it causes damage (while the converse is often not true - people can and do take the money and run). For small companies it's not that unusual for it to result in unpleasant surprises - been there, survived that (by demonstrating we had the money, and settling with a creditor we had a conflict with).

Of course, if Hyperion is insolvent, then it *is* a big deal.

Offline Yasu

« Reply #215 on: February 15, 2015, 06:07:26 PM »
A statement from Ben Hermanns (via AmigaWorld):

In Belgium anybody can file a bankruptcy claim even for 150 EUR or so. It
is a common pressure tactic used by parties who do not wish go to the usual
court process because most companies will pay rather than go through the
motions of fighting off a bankruptcy claim.

It is an abuse of procedure but in our case, matters came this far because
the company which handles our administrative seat did not hand over the
writ of summons in time for us to know about the claim.

We could easily have fended it off but now we need to overturn the judgment.

This was ofcourse not the intention of the claimant (quite the contrary)
but there you have it.

Offline QuikSanz

« Reply #216 on: February 15, 2015, 06:17:37 PM »
@Iggy

"Well, I'd be glad to rub your noses in your mistake over the months and years to come."

And I will be here laughing at them with you!

Chris

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #217 on: February 15, 2015, 06:31:50 PM »
Quote from: Yasu;784232
I'm just having a difficult time accepting the idea that Ben Hermans was one day going to work, whistling some peppy song because everything is going his way. He goes to the office, say hello to his coworkers and recieve the good news that AOS 4FE is selling well. And then he sees a letter at his desk, he opens it and see that the court of Belgium has for no reason at all decleared Hyperion bankrupt.
"There must be some mistake. Why haven't I heard of this matter before? We are paying our bills and our taxes and even making some money". He calls the court and the judge in question tells him:
"Oh, some guy sent us a letter the other day claiming he hasn't been paid and that you have no money to pay him. Because we are the court of Belgium, runned by third rate burocratic saps we of course believed him on the spot and without making any kind of investigation of the state of the company we declared it bankrupt. Because that's what we do. Are you now telling me he was lying? But ... he seemed so honest! I ... Oops, I did it again. File a complaint and maybe, just maybe, we will be nice enough to do our job and fix this. Unless we are out for lunch. Good bye."
Ben Hermans hang up the phone, he stands quiet for some very long seconds shaking, and then shouts "DAMN THIS THIRD WORLD COUNTRY AND IT'S LOUSY JURIDICAL SYSTEM!! DAMN YOU ALL TO HELL!!"

Just quoting your post because it is awesome.  And also Exactly How The Legal System Works In My Country, in my experience.  ;)
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline Yasu

« Reply #218 on: February 15, 2015, 06:44:55 PM »
Well, it seems my attempt of satire might be closer to the truth than intended :)

Offline Boot_WB

« Reply #219 on: February 15, 2015, 11:17:52 PM »
Quote from: eliyahu;784245
this is both insulting and incorrect.

-- eliyahu

Ah, but which bit is which? :)

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #220 on: February 15, 2015, 11:20:06 PM »
Quote from: Boot_WB;784304
Ah, but which bit is which? :)

;)

Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline Boot_WB

« Reply #221 on: February 15, 2015, 11:22:41 PM »
Lol. :D

Offline Iggy

« Reply #222 on: February 16, 2015, 12:19:41 AM »
Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;784305
;)

VERY good.
My coworkers will love that one.
Might have to have a tee shirt made with that located in the upper left.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

Offline Yasu

« Reply #223 on: February 16, 2015, 12:51:03 AM »
Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;784305
;)

Sooo, people my REALLY love Hyperion then?

Offline Iggy

« Reply #224 from previous page: February 16, 2015, 05:29:10 AM »
Quote from: Yasu;784320
Sooo, people my REALLY love Hyperion then?

Not at all.
Frankly, were it possible, I'd like to see the moon fall on Ben.
However, this doesn't affect the fact that this legal proceeding is not significant.

AND, their are a few OS4 developers I actually like (even if they are using/developing the worse of the NG alternatives).