Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Attacking my first idea as a scam...  (Read 8207 times)

Description:

Offline Boot_WB

• Show only replies by Boot_WB
    • http://www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk
Re: Attacking my first idea as a scam...
« Reply #44 from previous page: May 14, 2014, 01:54:04 PM »
Quote from: agami;764416
That's why there is RAID 6

Not looked into RAID 6*, used to have a 7-disk SAS RAID5 setup though - blazing fast, a pretty lightshow (as each drive had an activity LED), but damn noisy: not something you want in your bedroom. :)

* Oooh, field theory. I'll bookmark that and stretch my maths muscles with an in-depth read one night.

You're assuming people have a friend they are prepared to share their pr0n collection with ;)

Kryptos :D

Seriously though. I don't have unlimited bandwidth, and my upload is extremely slow. I have over 1000 movies and 50+ TV shows with multiples of seasons each. I'd hate to think of re-downloading all of that. That's why it's on a Synology NAS with RAID 5. Yes, a double disk failure would be the end of that, but the odds of a double disk failure occurring are far less than a single disk failure.

True, but the chances of a single disk failure + block errors on a remaining disk are much higher.

My brother is in a similar position - approx 20TB of (mainly video) data, with no obvious way of backing it up regularly. We've looked at possible RAID solutions for disk redundancy, but most are cost prohibitive compared to the benefit (ie not protecting against fire/burglary/multiple disk failure due to power surge).
In his case, he probably has less than 10GB of irreplaceable data - the rest is multimedia. Taking periodic backups (of the media files) offsite is probably the only feasible solution in his case, meaning a complete duplication of storage capacity.

Sigh. I remember when I has a 80MB IBM 2.5" hard disk in my A1200, and wondered what I'd do with all that space.
Mac Mini G4 (1.5GHz, 64MB VRam, 1GB Ram): MorphOS 3.6
Powerbook 5.8 (15", 1.67GHz, 128MB VRam, 1GB Ram): MorphOS 3.8.

Windows-free since 2011-2014 (Damn you Netflix!)

Offline ElPolloDiabl

• Show only replies by ElPolloDiabl
« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2014, 04:11:11 PM »
The best thing to do is unplug the drive. Store it. Just check it every six months.
3 copies on different hard drives is about as safe as can be.
Go Go Gadget Signature!

Offline SysAdmin

• News posting Auto Agent
    • Show only replies by SysAdmin
    • http://www.a-eon.com
« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2014, 09:15:00 AM »
I no longer dream in C64 and never dreamed in MSX.

:)

Moving thread to Alternate OS section.
Posts on this account before August 4th, 2012 don\'t belong to me.

Offline som99

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by som99
    • http://www.som99.se
« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2014, 07:42:16 PM »
I got one machine with ZFS for backup in my garage, one server hosting most on mirror raid and works quite well for me :)

I collect games and all software for all systems, from consoles to home computers from the early beginning to PS2/GC/Xbox and mid 2000 on PC and have a vast collection by now gathered over the years, I do this because I enjoy retro gaming and want all consoles + interesting home computers and as fas as possible be able to play backups on em.
(a new server is soon going to be built with X-CASE RM 424 - 24 and 24x 4TB drives in the future, but all my interests cost money and 24 drives cost a lot so gotta prioritize but I hope to be done with it this year at least, still have a few expensive consoles missing from my collection I want to get before they skyrocket more)

Also to preserve it, so not to much perish over the years :)

Put so much time in gathering stuff over the years from private trackers where we collect and gather for complete sets together and much ebay/garage sales hunting and so forth to get as much as possible :)

Wow this went to be to much of a wall of text, but ZFS is great for ones who wanna try that for backup, bur no matter what way you prefer to have backups more then one machine is to recommend :) *crossing fingers my garage wont burn down if my house does*
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 07:45:33 PM by som99 »

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2014, 10:39:41 PM »
Quote from: SysAdmin;764639
I no longer dream in C64 and never dreamed in MSX.

Personally, I never had much use for the C64, but genlockable MSX video still interests me.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline SysAdmin

• News posting Auto Agent
    • Show only replies by SysAdmin
    • http://www.a-eon.com
« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2014, 05:18:57 AM »
Quote from: Iggy;764654
Personally, I never had much use for the C64, but genlockable MSX video still interests me.

Cool, I never had a MSX machine so don't know what pleasures it provided.
Posts on this account before August 4th, 2012 don\'t belong to me.

Offline Gilthanaz

• Show only replies by Gilthanaz
« Reply #50 on: May 20, 2014, 09:21:55 AM »
Just in case no one has mentioned it yet:
http://www.cnet.com/how-to/create-a-retro-game-console-with-the-raspberry-pi/

Raspberry with controller support to play all kinds of games on emulators using a controller. If you want to go really old school:

http://www.networkworld.com/community/blog/how-rig-raspberry-pi-support-nes-controllers

You can attach original NES controllers to the raspberry as well, so...

Also, i've seen one of those built into an arcade cabinet with one of the very old school control stick(s) and buttons for the super-retro arcade-hall experience.

Have fun.

Edit:
Also, you could put the whole thing into an old computer chassis and fit in some standard keyboard + PSU and you'd have your all-in-one-machine-like-that-c64-was :)

- G