Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The future of Amiga.org ...?  (Read 23951 times)

Description:

Offline Gavilan

• Show all replies
    • http://coming soon....
Re: The future of Amiga.org ...?
« on: August 19, 2009, 03:50:47 PM »
Wayne: i truly respect and understand each and every single sentence you wrote.
I may or may not agree in some points with you, but, since you are the "Commander of the ship", you have the right to say what you have just expressed, and i consider that you have done for the Amiga community much, much more than a lot would even dream of.

Pity, sadly to read this. Its been one of the most shocking news i have read in a while relating Amigaland, believe me.

The site without you, is not simple the same. Believe me on that.

And also, believe that if i had that money, i would be the first to jump on the ship and continue your legacy

Unfortunately, im far, far away of having that amount, but i consider it "symbolic", for all what you have achieved all over this years with the site, the biggest Amiga-reference site on the net. Period.

Somebody can agree, somebody can disagree with me and with you, but i, for one, respect 100% your decition. (Or desition? excuse my sometimes horrible english)

But, maybe some of the most "famous" A.org users can make a collect to raise the funds?

Maybe we can even set up a PayPal account to achieve that amount?

I dont know, i know someone will just shout out saying that "you should donate the site to the community" and all that bla bla bla....but, again, i respect and im honoured to have been a member here for so long, and i would love to do anything that is at my hands to keep the site here!!!

The site belong to all of us (if you know what i mean), so maybe we can make a little effort, everyone, to raise up those 10.000 dollars Wayne is asking, and i guess nobody can reproach anything to Wayne at this very moment...

Wayne, even tough we only had a few talks over mails, i truly respect you and what you have done (by far, much more than, for example, A.Inc themselves), and i truly wish you ALL the best in anything you go for the future

I really hope someday you can come back here, this will always be "your home", and of course, if you lost interest in ANY machines...well, it can happen...it depends on your moods and lot of other factors...

In fact, myself, im having a terrible time, both in health and in finantial situation, thats keeping me away of almost anything, but one of the few things that "keep me alive and kicking" is Amigaland

Saying all this..Wayne, all the best, and people, come on, its time to behave as a truly united community once again, and do the best to keep the site up and running!!!!

Oh, BTW, this site its been almost my home in the net for many years as well...

Peace

Sebastian
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 04:14:42 PM by Gavilan »
C= & Amiga user & abuser since 1986
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Gavilan

• Show all replies
    • http://coming soon....
Re: The future of Amiga.org ...?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 03:38:11 PM »
@cgutjahr

Hi, im sorry, but i totally disagree with you. In more than one sentence.

Maybe for YOU its "only" a domain. Period.

But, reading some of the comments before mine, i have the feeling some people here feels just like me: im not a radical nor an extremist in any way, but AMIGA.ORG has ALWAYS been my HOMEPAGE no matter what machine or where i was: work, home, my mother´s computer, etc etc

Amiga.org was, together with Yahoo!, the very first two sites i surfed in the net back in 1998 if my memory is not wrong!!!!!

I feel this site MORE than "just a domain"

Even tough i didnt post enough like, say, Karlos, or motorollin (Hello moto!), i have been a long time member, and i consider this site as my virtual home in the net. Period.

I feel many of us have the same feelings about this.

Of course, i have only grateful words to Wayne for keeping all this during 15 years (please, read again, 15 years!!! Tell me another site of this nature that has been running for so long please!).

Of course, im in no position of having 10.000 dollars (but hey, if i had them, i wouldnt think it twice, and would send Wayne the money inmediately, just to keep the site alive) at this moment.

But of course im willing to "contribute", at least 100 dollars. Is the LEAST i can do to a place which has given me joy, pleasure, entertainment, knowledge, virtual and real friends...how much is THAT worth? I think there is no prize to be precise, and what Wayne is asking is simple symbolic.

He could ask 100.000 or 200.000 dollars, and i think nobody could even complain about that.

Amiga.orga is unique, in many, many aspects. You have to admit that.
I have been (or still am), member of at least another 5 amiga forums, both in english an in spanish (which is my native language)

And believe me, i ALWAYS “return” here. (Not that im gone, but I mean, I always check the site on a regular basis, not now, due to some health and finantial problems, but I check it very, very often, even if im not logged in)  Why? I dont know exactly, but i found myself more “comfortable” here than anywhere else. Not that im uncomfortable in other Amiga forums, but i just feel part of this community and i dont want to see it disappear.

Its not a matter of "go on, create another Amiga forum". No my friend, this site has "mojo", has its own heart beating, WE, US, the AMIGA COMMUNITY.

And this is a unique opportunity to join efforts, to try to find 1,10,100,500 active members who are willing to commit a community "buyout" (i dont know if thats exactly the name but i guess you understand my point).

I had the chance of meeting here very very friendly, helpful, nice people from anywhere in the world. And i dont want to miss that, either.

Please, understand, i have nothing against you or anybody, im not the kind of person who loves to argue, but i just had to say that even tough you have my full respect (as well as ALL Amiga.org members) i dont agree with your point of view

But, since im not melodramatic and im practical and pragmatical, best choice here is to let Wayne do whatever he wants. After all, he is the one who has achieved this (of course, with the community along) but he deserves what he is asking!!! And nobody has the right to argue with him for that!

So far, i have counted at least 8 active members in this same thread who are willing to contribute with $$$ (it doesnt matter if its 1 dollar, 10 dollars, 100 dollars). The way i see it, its the least we can do for a site which has given us (at least me) so much fun, so much knwoledge, so much endless funny readings, pictures, comments, etc etc etc etc

I say we star another thread to see who is willing to "donate" for the cause.
At this very moment, i can only show my support with 100 bucks, but im positive that if one thing that should be coming in my life near soon is good, i could be able to put more money.

Again, Wayne, saying THANK YOU is not enough, i know, but, its the least we can do.

KEEP THE AMIGA.ORG SPIRIT ALIVE!!

Come one people!!!
Those who are interested, show your support, dont buy 1 Amiga piece of hardware for one month and donate!! :)
Im 100% positive WE can achieve that!!

After that? Who will be moderator and all that? Well, we are all grown ups here, so speaking and listening (well, reading) is good for understanding each other

I could only say, for example 5 or 6 people "I" think should be moderators, even by ther long time relationship with the site, by their knowledge, by the number of posts, etc etc etc

Im not one of those, thats clear. My only intention is to keep this site alive and kicking. I want to help. I want to contributte!

Everybody here have at least one thing in common: our love/passion/commitement to Amiga. Well, i say, lets keep it that way!!!!! It doesnt matter actually if you are no longer an Amiga user, if you are newbie, if you are a returning user, you simple have the Amiga flame inside you! Thats good enough i say!

Excuse me for the long post, but i really had the feeling of saying all of this.

Thanks a lot for your understanding and comprehension, and please apologies if i hurt anybody´s feelings. Since english isnt my first language, sometimes is more than difficult to try to make my ideas clear here on the keyboard...

Sebastian
C= & Amiga user & abuser since 1986
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]