Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Should we really crack IBrowse 2.4???  (Read 53269 times)

Description:

Offline futaura

Re: Should we really crack IBrowse 2.4???
« on: April 09, 2008, 08:47:43 PM »
In my view, this is a completely different situation to Miami(Dx).  In that case, Holger kinda disappeared completely and wouldn't respond to e-mails, etc, let alone accept registrations.  And, IIRC, he was handling his own registrations so it was his choice to stop.

IBrowse on the other hand is still in active development, and in the past a third party has always handled distribution.  It was unfortunate that IOSPIRIT pulled out when they did (i.e. a couple of months after 2.4 was released) because if I had known that in advance, we may have been better off switching to another distributor to tie in the 2.4 release.  On the flipside, Amiga users have had years to buy IBrowse 2.x, so I don't think all the blame can be pushed in our direction.  I remember buying IBrowse 1.x in 1996 and 2.0 in 1999 - that's over 8 years in which people were able to buy IBrowse and those keys from 8 years ago are valid for 2.4 also.

I also refute the claim that we do not answer e-mails - I do, and I know Dave does too.  Most people will know we also post on the mailing list, and on various other Amiga forums, like this one.

Anyway, enough of that stuff.  What matters is the future...  A number of distributors have been in touch with us, and apologies if we haven't replied to some of the smaller (or work-in-progress) ones because we have pretty much decided on who will be distributing IBrowse in the future.  The sticking point is that Stefan has been very busy lately and not involved much in IBrowse, and it is he who needs to sort out the distribution stuff.  Not that this really affects development considering Stefan was involved all that much in the development of IBrowse 2.4 compared to the rest of us (as the history log shows - so, no disrespect to Stefan intended there :)).

Offline futaura

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 10:40:29 PM »
@Nearly-Right

I had hoped the distribution situation would have been sorted by now, and I agree it has gone on for too long.  Not that IBrowse hasn't been in this situation before - the HiSoft->IOSPIRIT transition/uncertainty period (the doomsayers were preaching that IBrowse was dead back then too).  I'm sure the matter will be resolved sooner or later.  It would have been solved months ago had it been our main source of income, but given the state of the Amiga market we all have other priorities too.

Development is ongoing, and my "plan" would be to release a new version this year, but this perhaps hinges on when the distribution situation is sorted out.  I won't lie though - I think it will be some time before IBrowse has proper CSS-rendering support which OWB already has - maybe we'll lose our motivation before then also (personally speaking, the distribution problems haven't exactly helped with my motivation, so it's not just users who are suffering).

Offline futaura

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 11:10:36 PM »
Boot_WB wrote:
@futuara

Perhaps a bounty would increase your motivation?

It might help :-D.  But, seriously, developing IBrowse has never been about money - it's mainly about the fun we have writing the code and something interesting to do in our spare time.  I've never really liked the idea of bounties - in IBrowse's case it would be added pressure (i.e. what happens to the bounty money if we don't end up delivering for whatever reason, etc) and not motivation.  Personally, I still find developing IBrowse fun, but don't have quite as much time to spend on it as I used to, at the moment.

All I can suggest to people is to bear with us, and we will sort things out soon, and hopefully bring some good news too.

Offline futaura

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 10:55:04 AM »

Nearly-Right wrote:

Which now side-tracks & reminds me . . . . why is Oliver Roberts NOT be the keyfile authoriser/distributor?

If he is magnanimous enough to volunteer to do it, for a small percentage of the keyfile fee, if OK'd by Stefan, to distribute/sell the IB keyfiles, as he is surely up to the task of being able to do this. He supplies his own for his own products, and collects the fee for his own keyfile.

I cannot think of another person who I would put my FULL TRUST in than Oliver Roberts to do this at this moment.

Nice of you to say so, but the conclusion we all came to was that as long as there are reputable distributors out there who want to sell IBrowse for us, we're happy to let them do that.  Why?  Well, one reason is time - we'd rather spend what time we have developing, and not having to deal with handling sales, sales tax issues, etc, etc.  We don't see any problem paying a distributor to handle all this for us, and then we can concentrate on coding.  There are of course many other things a distributor can offer, such as support, CD-ROM versions (yes, some users still want this), publicity, etc, etc, and all those aspects need to be considered.  If the worst comes to the worst, I'd be happy to handle the purchases myself, but not while there are better offers out there.  It's also important to support the remaining Amiga shops out there - there aren't many left.

Regarding the WarpDTs, registrations for those are relatively low volume, and once payment is received I do everything else manually - takes a bit extra time, but automating the whole process would take even longer to setup in the first place.

And going back to my F1GP-Ed days, yes I handled all that myself too, and that was a relatively time consuming task considering everything was done manually back then and involved sending out floppy disks.  That was a high volume product compared to the WarpDTs, and I suspect IBrowse is even higher, so I know enough to realize that I'd rather pay somebody else to do that task for me now (I'm a lot older now :-D).

I'm not saying any more on this matter - all I can say is that I have been in discussions with a particular distributor for some time, and I can only apologize if e-mails from other distributors have been ignored (I know some did get caught in spam filters).  From memory, I guess we received e-mails from about 5 potential distributors - I think we did reply to all of them and/or forwarded them to Stefan.  However, I guess we're trying to keep all options open until a definite deal is done via Stefan, which is why those interested might not have received a simple yes/no answer.  I know this matter should have been sorted out a lot sooner, but this is beyond my control.

Offline futaura

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2008, 12:07:15 PM »

a-pex wrote:
@fautura
YES, I am a registered user of your datatypes and also of IBrowse 2.4! But regarding IB2.4, there are so many users that never had the chance to buy it... (it was avaible onyl 4 month!!!)

From a purely personal point of view, it amazes me that so many new IBrowse users have sprung up since IOSPIRIT stopped supporting the Amiga, given that Amiga is a supposedly dead platform with a shrinking userbase.  I wonder how many of these 30 new users never used IBrowse before 2.4?  I remember huge threads about 2.4 taking so long, and it was well publicised that 2.4 would be a free upgrade to those who bought 2.3 then (and therefore 2.2, 2.1 or 2.0), which as I've said before means that 2.4 keyfiles have effectively been on sale for 10 years (minus the HiSoft->IOSPIRIT transition period), so not only 4 months strictly speaking.

Just makes me wonder really.  And just so that I'm clear, these thoughts have absolutely no effect on the current situation - I am fully in agreement that it needs to be sorted out asap, and for that we need Stefan.