Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Which VHS Player To Buy?  (Read 2352 times)

Description:

Offline spirantho

Re: Which VHS Player To Buy?
« on: May 04, 2014, 09:24:33 PM »
I've never been a great fan of VHS - though I own a JVC S-VHS recorder which is a pretty good  machine. I've always preferred disk formats like LaserDisc (of course) and the mostly-forgotten CED format. There's some really odd stuff on them which have disappeared into history, and sometimes they're in a purer form (such as the Tom And Jerry cartoons which can't be found uncensored on DVD - on LaserDisc they're original with all politically incorrect jokes included (which are a sign of the time and shouldn't be erased from history), along with the original soundtracks). Not only that, but the instability of the picture, and the lack of digital fringing (unlike DVD) gives them a much more cinema-like feel.

If you want original Star Trek series, I'd say LaserDisc would be your best bet really for the closest to how they were meant to be.

I suddenly want to watch my CED of "The Ninja Mission" - the only Ninja film I've seen where the Ninjas are so awesome in their black clothing, they try to blend into the background... of a snowy scandinavian country.
--
Ian Gledhill
ian.gledhill@btinternit.com (except it should be internEt of course...!)
Check out my shop! http://www.mutant-caterpillar.co.uk/shop/ - for 8-bit (and soon 16-bit) goodness!

Offline spirantho

Re: Which VHS Player To Buy?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 08:29:18 PM »
CEDs are a better quality format than VHS was at the time. Of course VHS was active until the end of the century, whereas CED technology stopped in about 1985.
At the time, though, CED was definitely ahead with its true stereo sound and better picture to boot.
A CED disk should last longer than a VHS tape because it's stored physically rather than magnetically - but just like with vinyl, you need to be sure they're stored correctly in proper temperature and above all vertically. Many times you'll find they've been stored horizontally and because they're so heavy, the weight of the top of the stack will crush those on the bottom.
I like CED - if you look after the discs, they can give surprisingly good video and audio. Plus, they have character - I've never felt the same about VHS.
--
Ian Gledhill
ian.gledhill@btinternit.com (except it should be internEt of course...!)
Check out my shop! http://www.mutant-caterpillar.co.uk/shop/ - for 8-bit (and soon 16-bit) goodness!