Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Which VHS Player To Buy?  (Read 2355 times)

Description:

Offline commodorejohn

• Show all replies
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
Re: Which VHS Player To Buy?
« on: May 04, 2014, 02:55:45 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;763709
Can anybody give me a good reason to keep using older video storage devices?
Sure - for watching any of the content that's never been released on DVD. There's plenty of content that even the el-cheapo "six films on one disc at a ridiculously low bitrate" companies haven't put out there (find me a non-VHS copy of Invasion from Inner Earth, wouldja? Or Bobobobs? The Littl' Bits?) Or simply because VHS is a super-cheap way to get legal copies of movies now that everybody's dumping theirs in thrift stores...

Also, as much as VHS suffers from low quality, DVD isn't that good either. It doesn't progressively degrade over time the way VHS does, but it does inflict craptastic MPEG-2 compression on the picture, and it just gets worse the more footage you try to squeeze onto one disc. (Really, Laserdisc is the way to go.)
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline commodorejohn

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 08:54:29 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;763745
And yes, there are a lot of old releases on VHS that aren't available in other formats, but the playback is still pretty shabby and copying those isn't going to improve quality.
Yeah, but shabby is still a hell of a lot better than nothing.

Personally, I really dig the old TV shows that were shot on film (like the original Star Trek) since higher quality releases are merely a matter of remastering.
No question - but unfortunately, it's not like you can just go back and re-film shows that were shot on video. Again, do you want it in suboptimal quality, or not at all?
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline commodorejohn

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 09:44:30 PM »
Quote from: Boot_WB;763762
One of the first films I watched on my first ever DVD player was Fellowship of the Ring, and was instantly struck by the crappiness of the black gradient banding (it may even have been a single-disc rental DVD of the cinema release).
Yeah, that was the first time I noticed it, too - it baffles me that nobody thought this was an issue back then.

Offline commodorejohn

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 07:55:01 PM »
I've been running into a lot of CEDs at garage/estate sales lately. I've kinda half-considered grabbing a few (there's a pawn shop an hour or so down the road that has a player,) but if I want nifty analogue home video formats, I've already got a cassette deck and a LD player...