Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Which VHS Player To Buy?  (Read 2356 times)

Description:

Offline Iggy

• Show all replies
Re: Which VHS Player To Buy?
« on: May 04, 2014, 01:23:00 AM »
I have a old 4 head VCR I bought several years ago that has never been used (I'd already moved to DVD), but I threw out every VHS tape I have (they really suck).
Funny, I play rentals in the Bluray player, but I don't buy that format.

Can anybody give me a good reason to keep using older video storage devices?
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline Iggy

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 05:34:49 PM »
And...I have a friend with a Super Betamax.
Much improved picture over standard Betamax or VHS, but I still wouldn't want to use it.

I used to copy audio over to a HiFi Stereo VHS unit for longer playback, then I got a multi DVD changer (that I primarily used for CDs) and stopped using that.

And yes, there are a lot of old releases on VHS that aren't available in other formats, but the playback is still pretty shabby and copying those isn't going to improve quality.

Personally, I really dig the old TV shows that were shot on film (like the original Star Trek) since higher quality releases are merely a matter of remastering.

If I could decrypt everything I own, I'd just store it on a network drive.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

Offline Iggy

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 09:54:09 PM »
Quote from: spirantho;763761
I've never been a great fan of VHS - though I own a JVC S-VHS recorder which is a pretty good  machine. I've always preferred disk formats like LaserDisc (of course) and the mostly-forgotten CED format. There's some really odd stuff on them which have disappeared into history, and sometimes they're in a purer form (such as the Tom And Jerry cartoons which can't be found uncensored on DVD - on LaserDisc they're original with all politically incorrect jokes included (which are a sign of the time and shouldn't be erased from history), along with the original soundtracks). Not only that, but the instability of the picture, and the lack of digital fringing (unlike DVD) gives them a much more cinema-like feel.

If you want original Star Trek series, I'd say LaserDisc would be your best bet really for the closest to how they were meant to be.

I suddenly want to watch my CED of "The Ninja Mission" - the only Ninja film I've seen where the Ninjas are so awesome in their black clothing, they try to blend into the background... of a snowy scandinavian country.

CED videodiscs eh?
Forgotten?
Until now, I'd never heard of them.
I had to look it up.
Interesting mechanics.
Over time does the analog playback degrade?

While I am impressed with Laserdiscs, I'm happy to standardize on DVDs.
I have a Blu-Ray player, but those discs are harder to decrypt, and the higher resolution isn't necessary for some playback devices.
Heck, to occupy myself during periods of delay, I'll often playback video I've converted to lower resolutions on my cell phone.
In fact, no matter what else it might hold, my multimedia folder always has a copy of the Stooge's "Disorder In The Court".

Offline Iggy

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 08:24:06 PM »
I think I gave up on "neat" alternate formats with the eight track tape player (I still have a few of those tapes).
They almost suckered me into CD-i with its 68K based processor and its modified OS-9 operating system, but man was the picture quality substandard.

If the picture quality of CED is sub-VHS, its amazing any of the players or discs have survived.

I hope those rare VHS releases all get copied.
I can foresee a day when, even though millions of the players were produced, finding a functional VHS deck may be difficult.

Offline Iggy

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2014, 08:38:37 PM »
Well, anything that doesn't have to be re-winded has my vote.
BTW - Thanks for the info.
I hate when I've missed something.