Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Which VHS Player To Buy?  (Read 2357 times)

Description:

Offline Boot_WB

• Show all replies
    • http://www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk
Re: Which VHS Player To Buy?
« on: May 04, 2014, 09:33:30 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;763741
Also, as much as VHS suffers from low quality, DVD isn't that good either. It doesn't progressively degrade over time the way VHS does, but it does inflict craptastic MPEG-2 compression on the picture, and it just gets worse the more footage you try to squeeze onto one disc.

One of the first films I watched on my first ever DVD player was Fellowship of the Ring, and was instantly struck by the crappiness of the black gradient banding (it may even have been a single-disc rental DVD of the cinema release).

It's a long time since I owned a VCR though, and I don't miss them.
I did have a good (Toshiba iirc) one back in the day, but it ended up needing a head replacement and never made it through of surgery... horrible machines to try to service/repair.
Mac Mini G4 (1.5GHz, 64MB VRam, 1GB Ram): MorphOS 3.6
Powerbook 5.8 (15", 1.67GHz, 128MB VRam, 1GB Ram): MorphOS 3.8.

Windows-free since 2011-2014 (Damn you Netflix!)

Offline Boot_WB

• Show all replies
    • http://www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk
Re: Which VHS Player To Buy?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 08:21:18 PM »
Quote from: gertsy;763792
Nup. It was a crap conversion. The scenes in Moria looked over-saturated and it made the effects look mediocre. BluRay theatrical looks great however.

No dispute there, and I wasn't saying that DVD is intrinsically worse than VHS, however that's my lasting impression of DVD (as the bright shiny uncorruptable future that replaced VHS). A little unfair to DVD perhaps given that it was a ~3 hour action movie that really needed to be high bitrate crammed onto a single disc.

Exactly the same pros and cons as digital storage vs Vinyl when it comes down to it: Sacrificing depth and texture for a more stable storage/playback medium.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 08:26:55 PM by Boot_WB »
Mac Mini G4 (1.5GHz, 64MB VRam, 1GB Ram): MorphOS 3.6
Powerbook 5.8 (15", 1.67GHz, 128MB VRam, 1GB Ram): MorphOS 3.8.

Windows-free since 2011-2014 (Damn you Netflix!)