Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Coco/Atari OS9 new hardware  (Read 5719 times)

Description:

Offline Gulliver

Re: Coco/Atari OS9 new hardware
« Reply #29 from previous page: May 16, 2012, 02:53:31 AM »
Speaking about OS-9, I found out there was an Amiga port done by Microware back in the old days (It was priced about 400 to 800 USD). The port was being updated on each OS-9 release, and if I am not mistaken, it is still supported by the company that took over Microware OS-9 development.

Has anyone ever had some experience with it?

Offline bbond007

• Show only replies by bbond007
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2012, 03:39:19 AM »
Quote from: psxphill;692592
Software.

The reason that you need a 386 to multitask is because everyone wanted to run their old dos software, which assumed it was the only program running.

It would be trivial to write a multitasking operating system for an 8086, however you'd have no software to run on it. There was no reason to ditch all the software and start again, because the 8086 wasn't quick enough to warrant it.

I don't think anyone realised just how big and important the PC would become, or it would have been designed better.

If you want to see a really good example of a multitasking GUI OS on 8086 check out Geoworks.

I also ran Desqview on my 286 20mhz which could even run stuff in re-sizable windows provided it was Desqview aware or would do BIOS screen writes.

I guess those ran on top of DOS, so were not really OS, or you could say DOS is their TripOS :)

Even OS/2 would multitask on a 286. Just not many 286s were sold with enough RAM to run OS/2.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 03:45:38 AM by bbond007 »

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2012, 03:55:45 AM »
My nostalgia here is pretty darn strong, and those refurbished Coco3's arent too bad a price. Wrestling with myself here as whether or not to dip into my savings to buy one. My biggest problem is my lack of room. Even if I do buy one Im going to have to make up a makeshift place to put it, which'd make using it less friendly than it otherwise could be.

Slight sidebar, but has anyone seen the fpga coco3 systems?
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline IggyTopic starter

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2012, 11:51:53 AM »
Quote from: fishy_fiz;693317
My nostalgia here is pretty darn strong, and those refurbished Coco3's arent too bad a price. Wrestling with myself here as whether or not to dip into my savings to buy one. My biggest problem is my lack of room. Even if I do buy one Im going to have to make up a makeshift place to put it, which'd make using it less friendly than it otherwise could be.

Slight sidebar, but has anyone seen the fpga coco3 systems?

Gary Becker's stuff?
Yeah, I've seen one. It works pretty good, although it needs another computer to store files and simulate a disk drive. According to Gary you should be able to set this up to start immediately as a Coco3 and load software from flash.

I'm purchasing an FPGA board soon since one of the boards this will run on is only $150 and it will simulate up to a 24MHz Color Computer.

Quote from: Gulliver;693314
Speaking about OS-9, I found out there was an  Amiga port done by Microware back in the old days (It was priced about  400 to 800 USD). The port was being updated on each OS-9 release, and if  I am not mistaken, it is still supported by the company that took over  Microware OS-9 development.

Has anyone ever had some experience with it?

If I'm not mistaken, that was a third party port by an Australian company.
I don't know if it was updated or if its still available.
There was also an AtariST port that used to be available on the internet.

As a side note, the 68K version of OS9 was just updated by Microware/Radisys last year.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline haywirepc

• Show only replies by haywirepc
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2012, 03:29:45 PM »
Gary Becker's stuff?
Yeah, I've seen one. It works pretty good, although it needs another computer to store files and simulate a disk drive. According to Gary you should be able to set this up to start immediately as a Coco3 and load software from flash.

I'd buy one if it had the classic joystick ports, a built in floppy controller and simulated orchestra and sound speech card. Otherwise, may as well just use a pc set up nicely with any of the coco 3 emulators, or an actual coco3.

Steven

« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2012, 05:29:51 PM »
Quote from: haywirepc;693345
Gary Becker's stuff?

I'd buy one if it had the classic joystick ports, a built in floppy controller and simulated orchestra and sound speech card. Otherwise, may as well just use a pc set up nicely with any of the coco 3 emulators, or an actual coco3.

Steven

Personally, as I still have some program paks I'd like to have a cartridge port.
I don't really need floppies, but I'd like a hard disk interface (flash doesn't hold enough - although for this application it might be adequate, my original Coco3 hard drive was 40MB).
Since the sound and speech pak isn't supported by much software its not an issue for me (might be if I'd ever owned one).

Lack of joystick ports is a bigger issue.

I understand that they're working on an i/o board.
And I've talked to one developer that would like to incorporate a real processor (although I like the superior speed of the emulated CPU).
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2012, 02:28:49 PM »
I received Boisy Petrie's Liber809 board and ROM yesterday.
Look pretty well made.

As I don't have an 8 bit Atari yet, I just replaced the 68B09E processor with a Hitachi 63B09E.

Looking forward to getting this installed in a 130XE.