Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Wow! C-USA's first commercial.  (Read 23908 times)

Description:

Offline IggyTopic starter

• Show only replies by Iggy
Re: Wow! C-USA's first commercial.
« Reply #224 from previous page: April 06, 2011, 07:45:36 PM »
Quote from: tone007;629192
Co-branding!!1!1 PARTNERSHIP!1!1~!

Winning!
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
« Reply #225 on: April 06, 2011, 07:46:39 PM »
Why is Barry hanging around here just now doing nothing... is he waiting to hand out sweets to the kiddies... :)

Offline mongo

• Show only replies by mongo
« Reply #226 on: April 06, 2011, 07:48:32 PM »
Quote from: redrumloa;629186
That is a loaded question. Do you think material cost per unit is the only cost? I cringe to think how many units they have to sell to cover the Disney advertising. It would be like asking A-Eon how much each X1000 will cost in materials alone and ignoring the engineering costs.

I think you should refrain from commenting on things you know less than nothing about. You cannot buy advertising on anything that Disney does. They don't sell advertising. They are the largest media company in the world. There is a huge difference between "advertising" & "partnering".
- Barry Altman

http://www.amiga.org/forums/showpost.php?p=627586&postcount=203

Offline mongo

« Reply #227 on: April 06, 2011, 07:53:41 PM »
Quote from: redrumloa;629190
There was something completely different with the PCI riser IIRC. indicating a different board.

Either the board is the same, or they are not selling the same product they are advertising on their website.

So, either Barry is a liar or a fraud. Which is it?

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
« Reply #228 on: April 06, 2011, 07:57:48 PM »
Someone give Barry a poke, he's been hanging round this thread for ages and hasn't said a thing, the old guy might have dozed off or be dead or summit... :)

Yooo Hooo... Barry... time to wake up it's hot chocolate & biccies time... coooeeee... :)

Offline gazgod

• Show only replies by gazgod
    • http://www.lincsamiga.org.uk
« Reply #229 on: April 06, 2011, 09:07:36 PM »
Quote from: redrumloa;629194
Wow, I don't seem to remember this level of Venom out of you about Amigakit! Amigakit doesn't have an advertising budget, they advertise for free by spamming Amiga Websites. Amigakit buys cheap white box products like mice and keyboards, slaps a Boing Ball label on it and jacks the price up 100%. Where's the anger and vitriol towards Amigakit:confused:

moobunny ;)

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
« Reply #230 on: April 06, 2011, 09:24:39 PM »
Quote from: gazgod;629265
moobunny ;)

Well Moobunny hates everything, including grandmothers and small puppies:lol:
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by eliyahu
« Reply #231 on: April 07, 2011, 12:24:31 AM »
Quote from: Franko;629213
Someone give Barry a poke, he's been hanging round this thread for ages and hasn't said a thing, the old guy might have dozed off or be dead or summit... :)

Yooo Hooo... Barry... time to wake up it's hot chocolate & biccies time... coooeeee... :)
i suspect he's rather busy, actually.  according to quote he gave the new york times, his web site is averaging five registrations every second.  that's over 430,000 every day:

“The response has been completely dramatic,” Mr. Altman said. “We’ve  been averaging about five registrations per second on our Web site. This  is from people giving us their name and e-mail address to be kept  abreast of updates on the new Commodore.”
staggering, really.  i wonder if this is true or he was misquoted; either way it certainly gives the impression of massive interest out there. i mean, wow.  with this level of interest, i imagine we'll start seeing user reviews of this thing pretty quickly after they ship to the pre-order customers.

in fact, if they have so many potential and actual customers, i don't know why barry or any of the CUSA principals would bother hanging around here anyway.  even though this is the biggest amiga forum out there, we're rather dwarfed by the new 'commodore' enthusiasts. and this is even before the TV commercials air.

-- eliyahu
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 12:26:49 AM by eliyahu »
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here."

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
« Reply #232 on: April 07, 2011, 12:41:57 AM »
Quote from: eliyahu;629337
istaggering, really.  i wonder if this is true or he was misquoted; either way it certainly gives the impression of massive interest out there. i mean, wow.

And then there is the Slashdot effect.

Offline mongo

« Reply #233 on: April 07, 2011, 01:46:07 AM »
Quote from: eliyahu;629337
i suspect he's rather busy, actually.  according to quote he gave the new york times, his web site is averaging five registrations every second.  that's over 430,000 every day

Great! In a month and a half, everyone who ever bought a C64 will have registered.

I don't believe it, do you?

The article also says "Barry Altman, president and chief executive of Commodore USA, said he purchased the Commodore trademark in September of last year", but he didn't buy anything. He got a license to use it. Big difference.

Offline number6

« Reply #234 on: April 07, 2011, 01:56:33 AM »
Quote from: mongo;629385
Great! In a month and a half, everyone who ever bought a C64 will have registered.

I don't believe it, do you?

The article also says "Barry Altman, president and chief executive of Commodore USA, said he purchased the Commodore trademark in September of last year", but he didn't buy anything. He got a license to use it. Big difference.

Correct. And there are numerous errors in many of the "news" articles. Perhaps the one copied over the most times is about the Commodore OS being included, when it is not.
Journalism is not what it used to be.

Offline IggyTopic starter

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #235 on: April 07, 2011, 02:02:01 AM »
Curse!
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #236 on: April 07, 2011, 04:38:33 AM »
Quote from: number6;629390
Correct. And there are numerous errors in many of the "news" articles. Perhaps the one copied over the most times is about the Commodore OS being included, when it is not.
Journalism is not what it used to be.

Journalism is dead. The internet just means there's more corpses ;)

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
« Reply #237 on: April 07, 2011, 04:46:18 AM »
Quote from: mongo;629385

Actually if I remember correctly he got exclusive world wide rights, so yes he purchased it.

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #238 on: April 07, 2011, 05:00:10 AM »
This is nothing on CUSA (for a change :p )

From the NY Times article:

The Commodore can run the Microsoft Windows operating system or a propriety Commodore OS.

No mention of linux. Unable to spell "proprietary".

I guess I can run a news paper too, if I can get 5th graders to write my articles.

Offline mongo

« Reply #239 on: April 07, 2011, 01:42:55 PM »
Quote from: redrumloa;629437
Actually if I remember correctly he got exclusive world wide rights, so yes he purchased it.

Commodore® trademark used under exclusive worldwide license by Commodore USA, LLC for its line of AIO (All-In-One) keyboard computers, and is the trademark of Commodore Licensing, BV.

He did not buy it. He does not own it. He has a license to use it for his all-in-one keyboard computers. He does not have a license to use it for anything else.