Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Pegasoses are arriving  (Read 7552 times)

Description:

Re: I got mine!
« Reply #29 from previous page: April 08, 2003, 05:01:09 AM »
It makes me happy to see a company finally doing what we've all wanted for so long... a practical use for an OS that is forward moving and yet compatible to AmigaOS with a similer UI and good responsiveness...

If they can get MOS into STB's and get some contracts for PDA"s maybe? eclipsis? ... it will be wonderful.

I really for once feel good honest happieness for this genre once again.. it's great to see it developing into something.

Re: Pegasoses are arriving
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2003, 05:07:36 AM »
So what amigaones are also arriving its no big deal considering that you have paid for them

always a rotten egg or two with twisted comparisons...

have fun with the Teron's and Linux...at least you can run UAE :P

Offline Atheist

• Show only replies by Atheist
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2003, 05:29:32 AM »
How many MHz, and is it G3,G4?? How many PCI slots? What's max ram cap.? Has anyone booted off of a RAID setup yet? How many megs is the OS?

AmigaOne! Behind the eight ba!!
\\"Which would you buy? The Crappy A1200, 15 years out of date... or the Mobile Phone that I have?\\" -- bloodline
So I guess that A500, 600, 1000, 2000, CDTV, CD32, are pure garbage then? Thanks for posting here.

Offline Alkemyst

• Show only replies by Alkemyst
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2003, 06:15:04 AM »

will MOS support Aone when it comes out?

No because certin people have chosen to want MOS to only run on Pagasos.
I could get more into it... but a flame war with alot of FUD and nonsense would inssue.

Your comment MipsProc already was a flame.

You could  of just said no They will not support Aos4. but you had to add to it.

Im done with this.
PowerTower A1200,060/80Mhz,Heatsink&Fan,66MBRam,PowerFlyerGold,50xCDRomdrive,250Zip,2.1GB&34GB HD,internal Scandoubler & FF,19\\"Monitor,Mediator,Voodoo3-3000,PaceSolo 56k ,PortJnr2,ZEKeys-XS,SMON ,Os3.9

Offline Damion

« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2003, 09:13:12 AM »
Good to hear that people are getting their
boards. I myself am looking forward to the
Peg2/MOS.

Alkemyst wrote:

>Im done with this

Can't say I'm too unhappy about that....:P

Offline filson

• Show only replies by filson
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2003, 10:09:14 AM »
@downix
good grief! thats alot of trouble for a DSL line.
my condolences to the diseased line  ;-)
My name is Filson. I solve problems.

Offline AmiGR

• Show only replies by AmiGR
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2003, 03:43:43 PM »

I could get more into it... but a flame war with alot of FUD and nonsense would inssue
I could get more into it... but a flame war with alot of FUD and nonsense would inssue.
--

Beep! Wrong answer. Please repeat the question:
> will MOS support Aone when it comes out?

It already DOES support Terons with the old BIOS,
it just only supports OpenFirmware based systems.
The PPCBoot is not OF compatible.
It has been tested on machines with the crappy and
OLD Softex BIOS ("The BIOS is fine"...) and
SmartFirmware. Both are OF compatible.
- AMiGR

Evil, biased mod from hell.

Offline downix

• Show only replies by downix
    • http://www.applemonthly.com
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2003, 04:58:27 PM »
@alkemyst

Not only is that statement trolling, it's untrue.
Try blazedmongers new Free Universal Computer kit, available with the GUI toolkit Your Own Universe, the popular IT edition, Extremely Reliable System for embedded work, Enhanced Database development and Wide Area Development system for telecommuting.

Offline cgutjahr

• Show only replies by cgutjahr
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2003, 06:35:24 PM »
@AmiGR/downix:

It was stated by BBRV a few days ago that there won't be a MorphOS version for TeronPX/AmigaOne. I can't find the actual statement right now, but it was something along the lines of (not quoting literally)...

"we investigated that possibility, but just met a lot of hatred and unwillingness to cooperate".

(please note that they didn't use "hatred". And I've got no idea if "unwillingness" is a valid English word ;-)

Offline Alkemyst

• Show only replies by Alkemyst
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2003, 07:25:56 PM »
by AmiGR on 2003/4/8 15:43:43

I could get more into it... but a flame war with alot of FUD and nonsense would inssue
--

Beep! Wrong answer. Please repeat the question:
> will MOS support Aone when it comes out?

It already DOES support Terons with the old BIOS,
it just only supports OpenFirmware based systems.
The PPCBoot is not OF compatible.
It has been tested on machines with the crappy and
OLD Softex BIOS ("The BIOS is fine"...) and
SmartFirmware. Both are OF compatible.

Beep you better read the question again

Your reply just said your self that MOS only works with the ""Terons with the old BIOS""

When is the MOS version for the old discontinued
BIOS going to be released ?

It does not work with PPCBoot, it does not work with PPBoot+Amiga firmwear

PPBoot+Amiga firmware=Aone

So no MOS will not support the Aone.

Support= going to be useful to users the customers. saying MOS works on old Terons with Old bios is no good to anyone if its not going to be released.

PowerTower A1200,060/80Mhz,Heatsink&Fan,66MBRam,PowerFlyerGold,50xCDRomdrive,250Zip,2.1GB&34GB HD,internal Scandoubler & FF,19\\"Monitor,Mediator,Voodoo3-3000,PaceSolo 56k ,PortJnr2,ZEKeys-XS,SMON ,Os3.9

Offline olegil

• Show only replies by olegil
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2003, 08:00:32 PM »
About Softex firmware:
AmigaOne != Teron CX

Why do I say this? Because the Teron CX evolved into the AmigaOne SE. Then came the PX which evolved into the XE. The Softex firmware never ever supported the AmigaOne XE, since it doesn't support either the 750FX or the 74xx CPUs.

I am not sure how many actually know this, but the reason for dropping the Softex firmware was NOT that it didn't work. For _quite_ some time it worked a HELL of a lot better than PPCBoot  :-P . However, having firmware that only support one CPU doesn't pay off in the end, especially if you're aiming to produce boards with other processors. MAI therefore contracted out the work of porting PPCBoot to the boards to Hyperion (ok, that's cutting a few edges, but it'll have to do for now).

So, stop with the "Eyetech lied when they said the firmware worked" thingie, because Linux was able to patch around everything we found of bugs in the Softex firmware. Noone said there wasn't bugs, we just said it worked. Which it did. But 750FX and 74xx support was crucial to the AmigaOne XE, so Softex HAD to go. Thanks for listening, and don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Offline AmiGR

« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2003, 09:19:29 PM »
Both Terons and AOnes use the same firmware,
PPCBoot.
The difference between AOnes and Terons is the
OS4 dongle.
Other than that, they are and were the same boards,
old or new.
- AMiGR

Offline AmiGR

« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2003, 09:23:38 PM »
Actually there were extremely big problems with that bios.
They would show up in the OS4 porting eventually.
Incorrect initialization, no scsi support and several
other stuff. It was actually a DEAD BIOS with some
late changes to make it work on Terons.
BTW, softex did run on TeronPX boards with the
750CXe, a linux guy got an evaluation board "some"
time ago that used it. That was before PPCBoot was
ported.

And I never said that Eyetech lied:) I quoted a very
specific statement by a very specific person.
- AMiGR

Offline olegil

« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2003, 09:37:22 PM »
Well, Teron PX with 750CXe is more or less EXCACTLY the same computer as Teron CX with 750CXe. So OF COURSE Softex worked in that case. But I'm still claiming that Softex does NOT support the 750FX and 74xx processors, which was what the AmigaOne XE was being spec'ed with. The AmigaOne XE differs from the Teron PX sent to Tom Gall back then in a couple of ways, though. Positioning of connectors, onboard AC97 codec chip, and type of ethernet chip.

Offline olegil

« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2003, 09:41:53 PM »
You're not listening, are you? I know both the Teron and AOne use PPCBoot. Actually, U-Boot (PPCBoot has merged with the spin-off product ArmBoot, and gone x86 as well, hence the name-change). But the _reason_ Softex was replaced was afaik that the license with Softex had expired, so there would be a: no bugfixes, and b: no support for newer processors. Bugfixes can be introduced inside the OS. It's _pretty_ dang hard to work around a non-booting BIOS inside an OS...

I'm not saying YOU'RE claiming Eyetech lie either, but I see references to this old dreary story constantly, and 100% of the time it's been told wrong. I'm just trying to introduce some actual facts into the argument, which I understand can be a bit frustrating when you're not used to dealing with that sort of thing  :-P  :-D

Actually, that was a joke. But you get the point?

« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2003, 10:00:54 PM »
You could of just said no They will not support Aos4. but you had to add to it.

It wasnt a flame...I genuinely mean that... OS4 will run on AmigaOne for reasons of piracy/etc(so they say)... they chose to do that... no flame there ;P
I might have mentioned the old PPC Accelerators it WILL support... but it still wont run on Pegasos..

had I just said 'no' it would be  basically saying its Genesi's fault OS4 isnt on their machines... and I dont think thats the case....

as for your trying to say MOS is the same thing as AOS4 thats entirely untrue..

the objective of MOS is to run on STB's in the first place...so of course it wont be on Pegasos alone... then you have to consider MOS will run on reguler Teron's(without the 'custom' firmware/etc the AmigaOne's had added to them)... it will run Phase5 equipped PPC Amigas(and MOS is free for them apperantly) and of course it will run on Pegasos1... eclipsis(if/when its done)... and also psylent wich is basically a Pegasos in a tiny case from what I've seen ...dunno if they will be for sale soon...
I've heard talk of MorphOS bieng ported to Mac's... or bieng made to run off a CD like Amithlon... with an emulator...their own CEO has been open enough to talk to us all right here in the forums about such issues..

its clear their interested in bringing MOS as many places as they can...for reasons differant then OS4's

but then again... OS4 isnt done yet... so we can only speculate about it... when its done (whenever that is) then we can discuss it... for now it's pure speculation...