Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Netbooks Are Losing Steam?  (Read 8390 times)

Description:

Offline dreamcast270mhzTopic starter

• Show all replies
Netbooks Are Losing Steam?
« on: April 30, 2010, 01:58:43 AM »
From the Article:
"Pricier, more powerful notebook computers are sucking some of the steam from netbooks, the low-priced darlings that helped fuel sales for the PC industry in the past two years.

Many consumers—searching for more computing power than the compact, portable netbooks can deliver—are opting to pay more for laptops with bigger displays and circuitry suited for jobs like manipulating photos and video, which is beyond the capability of most netbooks."

My views:

I see my 12" iBook G4 1.33 ghz as my netbook, containing a DVD drive (Which many netbooks lack) OS X (the best new OS for general use) 40Gb (More than most SSDs) is a better buy than what I see as a castrated laptop, an underpowered CPU and low RAM, no optical drive. I can buy an iBook refurbished w/ Tiger or Leopard for $200 , like my own or a new netbook, I'll choose the iBook, even if its an ARM because of the proven reliability of the one I have. Thats my opinion, and i find it pretty sound
My machines:
PowerMac G4 MDD 1.5ghz 1.25GB 10.5.8 & MOS 2.7
Mac Mini C2D 10.6.8 2GHz 3GB 250GB HDD
MacBook Retina 16GB 256GB SSD 10.8
iPad 2
Underground Gamer invites (a classic game site) PM

Need a part for a PC or Mac? PM me, I\'ll let you know if I come across it.

OS X trumps Windows on every level.

MorphOS, OS4 and Classic Amiga systems are the only ones who are real \'Amigas\', not that joke AROS or Amiga Forever.

• Show all replies
Re: Netbooks Are Losing Steam?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 11:38:17 AM »
Quote from: koshman;555927
Actually the G4 1.33GHz isn't significantly faster than Atom (if at all) and I personally see the lack of an optical drive as an advantage (lower weight etc.). I wouldn't use it anyway when I have a Wifi home network and broadband. And the weight? That's not even comparable...
OTOH I agree with the fact that xBooks are better constructed and probably more reliable than a typical netbook and the bigger 4:3 higher res screen (if only marginally) is a plus.

My mother's Aspire One is much weaker than my iBook, and I watch a lot of DVDs on the go, I don't have the time to handbrake them all onto a netbook with a squashed screen and cruddy sound. I just don't have a use for them, my iBook serves its purpose well

@yssing & captChaos:

I have a right called "freedom of press" if A.org doesn't have a problem with me posting it then it isn't irrelevant. And "Macsturbation" is both a vulgar and gross comment and I don't want your spam on this thread.
My machines:
iPad 2

MorphOS, OS4 and Classic Amiga systems are the only ones who are real \'Amigas\', not that joke AROS or Amiga Forever.

• Show all replies
Re: Netbooks Are Losing Steam?
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 11:03:29 PM »
I was in no way propagating mac laptops merely stating the 12" models are my "netbooks", the Air is definitely a terrible machine that should lie with the A600 as the biggest "oops" in industry
My machines:
iPad 2