Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 3G  (Read 8940 times)

Description:

Re: 3G
« Reply #134 from previous page: August 17, 2008, 02:03:59 AM »

mdwh2 wrote:
Don't get me wrong, I've nothing against the Iphone - I just don't see why people give it so much hype and free advertising over all other phone models, as if it were the only phone that could do these things.

Well.  Hmmm.  You make some valid points, and on the most part, I agree.  The only thing I would say is that -- for me -- yes, other phones can do most anything the iPhone can do.  HOWEVER, like the olden days when the Amiga actually had a prayer on the desktop, it's not that the iPhone does anything different, it's just that the integration of all these things seems to be 2x better and easier than the others.

Note of course that a lot of the phones we see nowadays did, in fact, steal ideas from the iPhone (the Instinct comes to mind as the most prevalent).  Like Mac OSX, it's just 10x more usable and friendly to me and I'm at a point in my life where I just don't enjoy having to futz around to get computers to do stuff.

I have a thought, I hit a button, it works the way I expect.  Something Windows has never done, and the Amiga has never had the opportunity to do since Commodore died.

It's like Windows 95 all over again.

That's a perspective issue.  I actually have fond memories of Windows 95.  I was the first adopter of any of my friends or fellow club members and I don't remember having the problems others reported.  

Judging by Windows 3.1 before it, and even AmigaOS at the time (I believe 2.1 had just been released??), Windows 95 did just fine if you bought hardware for it, but isn't that the way of ANY Windows version?

Would I go back to '95?  No way in hell, but then again, I specifically asked work to buy me a Mactop so I could actually work and not have to deal with XP or Vista.

Wayne

Offline countzero

• Show only replies by countzero
    • http://blog.coze.org
« Reply #135 on: August 17, 2008, 02:30:29 AM »

adolescent wrote:
There is no use arguing with an Apple fanatic...  You are right, Steve Jobs can do no wrong.  He didn't ride the company down to the dumpster in the early 80s, sell off his stock and resign (all as Chairman of the Board and a majority stakeholder of the company).

HOW DARE YOU EVEN IMPLY STEVE JOBS DID WRONG ? TO ERR IS HUMAN, JOBS IS TRANCENDENTAL. :-P
I believe in mt. Fuji

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #136 on: August 17, 2008, 03:18:38 AM »
It's interesting that Americans are just discovering 3G, even out her in Australia we had 3G back in '03 or so.

But back to the iPhone, it was originally introduced as a 2.5G phone, only becoming 3G a year later.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline rkauer

• Show only replies by rkauer
« Reply #137 on: August 17, 2008, 04:13:51 AM »
 Nah, no Apple products in my home.

I stick with my Motorola phones, at least they have something in common with Amiga!:-D
Goodbye people.

I\'ll pop on from time to time, RL is acting up.

Offline DonnyEMU

• Show only replies by DonnyEMU
    • http://blog.donburnett.com
Re: 3G (iPhone how about iClone!)
« Reply #138 on: August 17, 2008, 04:43:40 AM »
I have an iPod Touch and love it. All the iPhone people seem to forget that it can run their software too..

My friend who is a Mac owner just bought this new phone from Samsung. I did a side by side comparison of it to the iPhone.. Besides buttons with rounded corners versus squares they seem to have much the same everything.. And it's cheaper..

It's called the Instinct..

http://gizmodo.com/5014419/samsung-instinct-full-review-verdict-best-sprint-phone-ever-best-samsung-phone-ever-too
======================================
Don Burnett Developer
http://blog.donburnett.com
don@donburnett.com
======================================

Offline jcassara

• Show only replies by jcassara
« Reply #139 on: August 17, 2008, 09:26:48 AM »
Just consider the source, AmigaDave: unstable whackjobs who have held on to a dead and irrelevant computer platform through two presidential administrations.  Not the kind of people whose opinions matter to me much when it comes to buying technology.  (Kickstart 1.3:Computers::PalmOS:Smartphones)

Buy what makes you happy and is within your budget.  It doesn't matter if Steve Jobs kicked your mother in the a$$ or Bill Gates dances on Gary Kildall's grave.  The companies and their executives don't matter.  Product does.  The iPhone looks nice to you?  Play with one and buy it.  Visit big box stores and get some hands-on time with handsets.  Read the technical specs.  The best opinion is the one you come to on your own with research.

Best of luck to you.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #140 on: August 17, 2008, 10:51:44 AM »
If the iPhone is so bad... why is it that EVERY other manufacturer is now playing catch up...

I don't see any other manufacturer bringing out something totally different, or something that has prompted people to want to queue outside stores to obtain!

In fact I've not seen a single advert for another Mobile that has focused on anything other than the features which the iPhone has... Apple have a design philosophy, that no other manufacturer can understand.

It has been highlighted most by what has happened in Japan. The market has been driven by features, but the iPhone has changed all that.

Market research has shown time, and time again, most people use  10% of a phone's features 90% of the time!

What Apple do is actually quite simple. Only include the basic minimum features and then make them work in the most natural way possible. They look at how people use devices and then perfect that interface.

Re: 3G (iPhone how about iClone!)
« Reply #141 on: August 17, 2008, 03:46:33 PM »

DonnyEMU wrote:
My friend who is a Mac owner just bought this new phone from Samsung. I did a side by side comparison of it to the iPhone.. Besides buttons with rounded corners versus squares they seem to have much the same everything.. And it's cheaper..

Before buying my iPhone, I went into Sprint and did a comparison of my own.  You're right.  A lot of the stock apps are the same, and the Instinct -- like others -- pretty much stole the iPhone interface straight out (but not enough to get sued).

The phone plan for the Instinct was more expensive as they were pretty much telling me that the only plan I could get was the unlimited plan.  

Other than that, the difference is that the Instinct (to me, based on a store demo which means every idiot had a chance to chub it up) was about 50% slower than the iPhone in terms of moving screen to screen and launching apps.  

Also, the Instinct doesn't really have an app community around it like the App store which is where I've probably loaded a dozen or so really useful apps and games.  

I also see a niche market I could fill, if I could bring myself to code C++ again (hated it) and I like the ideal of getting paid for filling the niche.

Wayne

Offline amigakidd

• Show only replies by amigakidd
« Reply #142 on: August 17, 2008, 04:36:33 PM »
I want to see UAE on an iPhone in an App Store. Then I will get one.
WinUAE enthusiast.

Curious about: Amiga OS, Morph OS, X-Amiga, Amikit, Amiga Forever, WinUAE, Efika, Minimig,
and other forms Amiga-like Computers.

Offline Flashlab

• Show only replies by Flashlab
« Reply #143 on: August 17, 2008, 04:55:58 PM »

amigakidd wrote:
I want to see UAE on an iPhone in an App Store. Then I will get one.

I guess you won't ever get an iPhone then. I don't think Apple would ever allow any emulator in the App Store. It would require access to the filesystem to copy roms on the iPhone and also emulators touch the grey area of illegality with copyright issues.

The only way would be when Amiga Inc would release an all in one option with kickstarts and some games in one like on their website.

Or you could jailbreak your iPhone and wait for some other option; right now there are NES and GBA emulators and ScummVM for example.
Amiga 4000D Cyberstorm PPC 060@50 604@200 SCSI 130Mb Ram G-Rex Voodoo3 PicassoIV Paloma Ariadne Delfina Lite

Online Flash version of BoulderDash: Offline...

Offline motorollin

• Show only replies by motorollin
« Reply #144 on: August 17, 2008, 05:04:59 PM »
Flashlab wrote:
I don't think Apple would ever allow any emulator in the App Store. It would require access to the filesystem to copy roms on the iPhone

There is already software which allows you to copy files to the iPhone. There is FileMagnet which allows you to copy Office, iWork and other documents on to the phone, and also some eBook readers allow you to upload eBooks to the phone. I don't see an emulator as any different.

Flashlab wrote:
and also emulators touch the grey area of illegality with copyright issues.

So do eBooks ;-)

--
moto
Code: [Select]
10  IT\'S THE FINAL COUNTDOWN
20  FOR C = 1 TO 2
30     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA
40     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAAA
50  NEXT C
60  NA-NA-NAAAA
70  NA-NA NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA NAAA-NAAAAAAAAAAA
80  GOTO 10

Offline amigakidd

• Show only replies by amigakidd
« Reply #145 on: August 17, 2008, 05:07:30 PM »
UAE is embraced by many techies on the web. There should be an Amiga presence on an iPhone if not the distant future.
WinUAE enthusiast.

Curious about: Amiga OS, Morph OS, X-Amiga, Amikit, Amiga Forever, WinUAE, Efika, Minimig,
and other forms Amiga-like Computers.

Offline Flashlab

« Reply #146 on: August 17, 2008, 05:13:51 PM »
I didn't know there were apps that allowed uploading files to the iPhone, I stand corrected!

But the grey area of emulators still stands I'm afraid...

If UAE comes to the iPhone I bet it won't be in the App Store.
Amiga 4000D Cyberstorm PPC 060@50 604@200 SCSI 130Mb Ram G-Rex Voodoo3 PicassoIV Paloma Ariadne Delfina Lite

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #147 on: August 17, 2008, 06:57:29 PM »

motorollin wrote:

I don't see an emulator as any different.

The current Terms and Conditions of the AppStore do not allow for Emulators... This may change with then next Firmware update and the gumblings from Adobe... but right now Emulators are a no go...

Offline motorollin

• Show only replies by motorollin
« Reply #148 on: August 17, 2008, 08:07:19 PM »
bloodline wrote:
The current Terms and Conditions of the AppStore do not allow for Emulators...

Oh really? That sucks! I'm still wondering whether there's a way to spoof the app store. So iTunes thinks it's connecting to the iTunes store, but it's actually connecting to some server running locally which makes non-approved apps available. I have no idea whether that's feasible or not.
Code: [Select]
10  IT\'S THE FINAL COUNTDOWN
20  FOR C = 1 TO 2
30     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA
40     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAAA
50  NEXT C
60  NA-NA-NAAAA
70  NA-NA NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA NAAA-NAAAAAAAAAAA
80  GOTO 10

Offline Flashlab

« Reply #149 on: August 17, 2008, 08:23:26 PM »
There's an easier way; jailbreak your iPhone and put apps on it directly.