Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 3G  (Read 8776 times)

Description:

Offline Flashlab

• Show only replies by Flashlab
Re: 3G
« Reply #149 from previous page: August 17, 2008, 08:23:26 PM »
There's an easier way; jailbreak your iPhone and put apps on it directly.
Amiga 4000D Cyberstorm PPC 060@50 604@200 SCSI 130Mb Ram G-Rex Voodoo3 PicassoIV Paloma Ariadne Delfina Lite

Online Flash version of BoulderDash: Offline...

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #150 on: August 17, 2008, 08:29:31 PM »

Flashlab wrote:
There's an easier way; jailbreak your iPhone and put apps on it directly.

While Jailbreaking offers no disadvantages other than a possible need to rejailbreak after a Firmware update... I would prefer to use official solutions :-(

Offline Flashlab

• Show only replies by Flashlab
« Reply #151 on: August 17, 2008, 08:32:01 PM »
Same here; I haven't jailbroken my iPhone. But it seems it's harmless and reversible.
Amiga 4000D Cyberstorm PPC 060@50 604@200 SCSI 130Mb Ram G-Rex Voodoo3 PicassoIV Paloma Ariadne Delfina Lite

Online Flash version of BoulderDash: Offline...

Offline motorollin

• Show only replies by motorollin
« Reply #152 on: August 17, 2008, 08:44:15 PM »
I Jailbroke my old iPhone and it worked well. But when I came to sell it and restored it, requiring me to re-Jailbreak and re-lock it, I found that the solution I had used (ZiPhone) was potentially harmful to the phone. So I made the decision not to Jailbreak my iPhone 3G. I just wish Apple would officially incorporate the features of TaskBar Notifier :-(
Code: [Select]
10  IT\'S THE FINAL COUNTDOWN
20  FOR C = 1 TO 2
30     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA
40     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAAA
50  NEXT C
60  NA-NA-NAAAA
70  NA-NA NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA NAAA-NAAAAAAAAAAA
80  GOTO 10

Offline mdwh2

• Show only replies by mdwh2
« Reply #153 on: August 18, 2008, 12:03:35 AM »

bloodline wrote:
If the iPhone is so bad... why is it that EVERY other manufacturer is now playing catch up...
In what sense are they playing catch up? There are large numbers of areas that the Iphone is playing catch up (only just getting 3G). And anyway, why is it wrong if manufacturers copy a feature first in the Iphone, considering that most of the Iphone's features were copied off of all the phones that came previously?

I don't see any other manufacturer bringing out something totally different, or something that has prompted people to want to queue outside stores to obtain!
This is a marketing achievement sure - clearly it wasn't that Apple were first with 3G. But in what sense was the Iphone "totally different"?

In fact I've not seen a single advert for another Mobile that has focused on anything other than the features which the iPhone has...
Which features are these? I suspect they are simply focusing on features that phones have full stop, and you are just assuming that it is a comparison to the Iphone.

It has been highlighted most by what has happened in Japan. The market has been driven by features, but the iPhone has changed all that.
What, by not having features? ;)

Market research has shown time, and time again, most people use  10% of a phone's features 90% of the time!
How does this make the Iphone better?

What Apple do is actually quite simple. Only include the basic minimum features and then make them work in the most natural way possible. They look at how people use devices and then perfect that interface.
If I only want the basic minimum of features, then why would I spend all that money? They 10% of phone features that most people use (which is most likely just phone calls and SMS, and perhaps some simple browsing or taking photos) can be had in a dirt cheap phone.

By assuming that most people want to load up their phones with mp3s and view the Internet on them all day, I don't see this is any different to the other phones that assume people want to take videos/photos ... and play mp3s and view the Internet on them all day. I also find it unlikely that the proportion of people using mp3s and Internet browsing on their phones is higher than the proportion who use MMS.

In summary, I don't think it's true that the Iphone has trimmed down on a core set of features any more than any other phone, and secondly, I wouldn't want to pay more for the privilege of fewer features, when I could pay less instead. (I also find it rather odd that lacking standard features is twisted to be a good thing, but then this is a common argument for Apple products - even bad points are cited as being good points.)

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
« Reply #154 on: August 18, 2008, 12:23:54 AM »
Apparently the iPhone 3G has some issues.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #155 on: August 18, 2008, 01:58:57 AM »
@mdwh2

I'm not going to argue this across two threads... You don't get the iPhone... great... You try and do what Apple has done then. :-)

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #156 on: August 18, 2008, 02:02:40 AM »

Piru wrote:
Apparently the iPhone 3G has some issues.

I've been following this, but the UK doesn't seem to be affected... I suspect it's due to AT&T's 3G network... which I believe is rather immature... Though I know AT&T are denying it's their problem... I don't know...