Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: XP Pro .......S...L...O...W...!  (Read 6312 times)

Description:

Offline kevh100

• Show only replies by kevh100
    • http://www.kphonline.co.uk
Re: XP Pro .......S...L...O...W...!
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2007, 10:57:37 AM »
I use Sysinternals PageDefrag to ensure that my system files and page file are all in one contiguous lump. These files never usually get defragmented as they are always in use by the OS.

JKDefrag is a great free defragger that works better than the standard defrag utility.

Kev

Offline LoadWB

• Show only replies by LoadWB
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2007, 12:59:59 PM »
I have to recommend against using MSConfig to disable parts of the Windows OS.  Professionally, MSConfig is a cancer that should have been removed long ago.  Using it covers up the symptoms but does not eliminate the problems.

You should use a good AntiMalware solution (like AVG -- disclaimer, I am a reseller, but for good reason,) and Windows Defender.  Between the two, I have kept many a system clean, and cleaned up many a system.

Defrag your system, that will make a marked increase in performance, especially if critical system files are spread out across the drive.  And I don't mean just core Windows stuff, I mean anything that loads at start up.

Remember that Windows XP loads just enough to get the Desktop up and loads other items in the background.  This can cause a perceived loss in performance upon first boot, and also when first running programs.  Once programs get loaded, XP caches important parts and subsequent runs are MUCH faster.

Check your Virtual Memory size.  For whatever reason, I've seen a lot of XP loads that have static paging files set.  They should be set for "System Managed," and if you have multiple drives, I recommend spreading it out across drives.  You should have a paging file on your C: so XP can perform memory dumps when necessary, but you can also set one up on other partitions (non removable) to increase performance.  To the end, you should also make sure you have plenty of extra space available on the drives used for paging file.

And newer hard drives will far outperform older drives.  It's amazing what replacing an old Maxtor 20GB ATA133 drive with a newer 80GB ATA133 does for data transfer.

If you're using IDE, don't put your fast C: on a the same cable as a second slower drive, or non-DMA CD-ROM.

Clean up your Internet Explorer cache.  This is one part of the system that is actively indexed, so the bigger it is the worse off you are.

HP printer drivers are the devil.  They will often eat your performance.  Try to use only the corporate editions of the drivers without all the extra fluff.

Use Windows Defender to find startup items and REMOVE them as necessary.  QuickTime, RealPlayer, DivX Player, Word Perfect, et al have pre-loaders that are unnecessary if you use them infrequently.  Other programs like Yahoo! Messenger, AIM, Windows Messenger also have options to load when Windows starts... start them manually when needed, and don't let them sit in the clock tray when you're done with them.

Also watch for special drivers and programs that communicate with other hardware.  For instance, I have a Sony Ericsson phone that I synchronize with my laptop using the SE Phone Suite.  After I sync, I have to kill "epmworker.exe" or else my system freezes every 10 seconds or so as the SE Phone Monitor checks Bluetooth for phones.  I've {bleep}ed about this numerous times but it's never been fixed.  Essentially, I have to reboot my laptop any time I want to sync my phone.

Use the latest drivers available for your hardware.  A buggy video driver can cause all sorts of problems.

Also, run a diagnostic on your hard drive.  A slow system has often proved to be the result of a hard drive having to do extensive error recovery (some drives can take up to a minute to correct a bad sector.)  Windows will sometimes log this problem in the Event Log.  Which, BTW, can also be a great resource in finding problems... but not always, unfortunately.

Gotta run.

Offline amiga92570

• Show only replies by amiga92570
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2007, 01:39:52 PM »
disable all unneeded services. There are many that most users do not use and they eat up CPU cycles.
Amiga92570
==========================
(1) 4000T/040 (2)3000t CS 060/233ppc Picasso IV video, (2)D-box 1200 blizzard 060/200ppc Mediator fastATA, (1)amiga 1200 Power tower, (1)amiga 1200 EZ tower with mediator,1200/030/50mhz, (3) amiga 500 with CSA Mega Midget Racer and Trump card AT, (2) amiga 600 one with M-tec 030, (3) CD32 one sx32, two sx32-pro, More accessories and parts than I want to admit to

Offline hamtronix

• Show only replies by hamtronix
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2007, 01:49:41 PM »
install TinyXP instead of whatever XP you use.
CD TV / Remote / Trackball Remote / Keyboard / CDTV 1411 External Drive / C= 1405 256K RAM / Smell the fear!

Offline Ilwrath

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2007, 02:18:11 PM »
I use Sysinternals PageDefrag to ensure that my system files and page file are all in one contiguous lump. These files never usually get defragmented as they are always in use by the OS.

I second that.  Defragging the paging file and system registry using the Sysinternals tools is one of the easiest speedups for an aging Windows system.

I never use the built-in defrag tool in Windows.  Ironically, it skips the page file and registry (they are in use), so it doesn't give much of a speedup, and can even cause a net slowdown in certain conditions.  After usage, you'll have less fragments per file, but files that go together may be further scattered from each other.  Giving an overall wash and still poor overall performance where you notice it [startup, shutdown, app loading, etc].

Offline billt

• Show only replies by billt
    • http://www.billtoner.net
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2007, 02:20:53 PM »
Have you tried XP x64?

I was under the impression that a large amount of Windows software wasn't compatible with the 64bit version... is that not true? I'm shopping for a laptop and have been trying to get XP Pro instead of Vista, which is difficult enough to start with... I'd never looked at 64bit Windows seriously as it sounded like very little stuff ran on it.
Bill T
All Glory to the Hypnotoad!

Offline Ilwrath

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2007, 02:47:04 PM »
I'd never looked at 64bit Windows seriously as it sounded like very little stuff ran on it.

Most stuff I've tried RUNS on it.  Just very little is OPTIMIZED for it.  32-bit apps behave about the same as they do on regular 32-bit XP.  The benchmarks say it's slightly slower than 32-bit XP for 32-bit apps, but, honestly, I don't think it's enough to be visible to humans.  If you have the 64-bit proc, you might as well run the 64-bit OS for it.

Offline Oliver

• Show only replies by Oliver
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2007, 04:31:46 PM »
Have a look at blackviper.com. The site can help you to disable unnecessary xp processes.

For anti-virus, eset NOD32 seems pretty quick for me, but it's a commercial product.

For mal-ware, you could also do some reading about HijackThis. There are some good forums which give help/discussion about using this tool. It's not an easy one to master, though it is very handy if you have plenty of time to put into using it.

If you are getting some mal-ware, as you've suggested, then ceasing to use your security programs is probably not the best next move. Do your security apps find any issues?

Windows still benefits from a re-install every so (too) often.
Good good study, day day up!

Offline DBAlex

• Show only replies by DBAlex
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2007, 04:59:24 PM »
Or he could just install X86-64 Linux  :-D

/me ducks

Anyway, XP allways ran fine for me on my quite modest (for todays standards) system - Athlon 64 3000,1.25gb,7600gs 256mb.

I now run Vista Home Premium on it though, and Im actually pretty happy with it despite the horror stories that i've heard.

One thing that I find indespensible on vista is the new search feature, I can type an application name and hit enter and it starts instantly, plus I find the search considerably faster than Spotlight is on OSX. That of course could be down to hard drive speeds in my mac mini and the fact that the mini has a 1.5ghz PPC...

Machines:
- A1200, Blizzard 1260 w/ 64MB RAM, 1.2GB HD, PCMCIA WiFi, AGA w/ RGB Adapter, OS3.9
- Pegasos I, G3 600Mhz, 512MB, Radeon 9200se, 80GB HD, AmigaKit WiFi Card, MOS 1.4.5
- Mac Mini, G4 1.5ghz, 512MB (1GB Soon), Radeon 9200 64MB, 80GB HD, OSX 10.5 (Leopard)
- PCs, Laptops... *yawn*... :D

Offline Munchkin

• Show only replies by Munchkin
    • http://www.sjolin.eu
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2007, 05:10:12 PM »
I wouldn't recommend X64. Mainly because there aren't drivers avaliable for all hardware and there won't be any either. X64 is a dead OS because M$ have concentrated on Vista 64 instead.

I used to recommend AVG Free as a good virus software but I honestly can't do that anymore. I've had two infections these last few months that AVG didn't see. Both were found by Trendmicro and Kaspersky online scanners. One of those viruses messed my registry up and made it impossible to uninstall any software via Add/Remove program.

Don't use AVG, it's just not good enough.

One important part in having a good and responsive system is to have up to date drivers for all hardware. The default windows ones aren't always that good.

Using MSconfig to turn things off isn't a good idea either. Then it's better to go into Control Panel/Administration tools/Services and turn unnecessary things off. This should be done with caution though, turn the wrong service off and you have a system you can't use. There are some services that you can easily switch off though, they run and never do anything.

Defrag often. And don't use the default defragging software that comes with XP. It's worthless, it doesn't help at all. I use O&O Defrag and it makes wonders. System boots up a lot faster after a full defrag.

Don't install to many fonts. Windows scans through the fonts all the time. The worst software to use with many installed fonts is IE, it scans through for just about every webpage you visit..

Don't use IE, use Firefox.

Someone already said, don't install a lot of software just to check them out. Read up on them first and see if it's something you'll ever use. If not then don't. Even if you optimise the registry to many installed and uninstalled programs makes a mess of everything.

Well, that's a few tips from me.

Offline stopthegop

• Show only replies by stopthegop
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2007, 05:21:41 PM »
This thread is hilarious because it demonstrates just how bad windoze really is.  

"Install this, install that. Disable this, enable that. Fix this, fix that. Run this, run that..."

All to make a PC do what every Amiga does right out of the box; run well.  
Primary:
A4000T. Phase5 PPC604e-233mhz/060-66mhz. Mediator, Z3 Fastlane, Voodoo5, Delfina, X-Surf, AD516, Peggy Plus.

Collection:
A4000D, A1200, A500, Milan060 (Atari clone), Atari MegaSTE, Atari TT030, C64, C128, Mattel Aquarius, (2) HP Jornada....

Offline LoadWB

• Show only replies by LoadWB
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2007, 05:46:47 PM »
Don't use AVG Free Edition.  Use the retail version, and don't buy it from me.

Seriously, I've run AVG in over dozen installations over the past four years and it's caught every single threat which has come in to our networks, and there have been items that Norton and McAfee either would not detect or would not remove.

I used to evangelize Norton until it started sucking several years back.

The Free Edition also does not have integration between the AntiVirus and AntiMalware engines, requiring separate installations.  Trust me or not, AVG AntiMalware is a solid product and I'll put it head-to-head against others any day.

As a practice, I can't agree with any intentional crippling, which there doesn't seem to be with the Free Edition (other than limited scheduling and update ability due to limitation of resources to the free update system.)  But there is DEFINITELY a distinct definition difference between what is a virus and what is other malware.

Again, seriously, don't use the Free Edition.  If you want to evaluate it, download the Trial Version, which is a 30 day limited FULL version.  Additionally, Free Edition is no licensed for use in environments other than home, and there is not technical support for FE.  I believe, and so do over 500 of my users, that AVG is well worth the money.

Again, I do resell AVG, but don't buy it from me.  Buy it directly from Grisoft or another authorized reseller.  I get nothing from anything other than direct sales, and I don't want the appearance of trying to convince you to buy a product so   I can make gain.

Offline Damion

« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2007, 05:51:47 PM »

All to make a PC do what every Amiga does right out of the box; run well.  

That's simply not true. Maybe WB1.3 on an A500, but anyone who has built a classic "power" system can attest that getting an operative amiga OS can be a royal PITA.

Them fact is, computers in general are a PITA sometimes... and sometimes not. Doesn't matter what OS.

To the OP:

Someone mentioned getting the correct chipset drivers for your mobo, and that does sound like your problem. Make sure all your drivers are correct first, then move on to some of the other suggestions.

If you want to use a virus scanner, I recommend AntiVir. It's free, and not a resource hog like Norton. (There are other good scanners out there, as well.)

Offline stopthegop

• Show only replies by stopthegop
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2007, 06:24:26 PM »
@ -D-

What you say about building a "Power Amiga" is true.  It can be a real pain, and is at times very frustrating.  The difference is that once you have the "Power Amiga" built it tends to stay that way.  Mine has been stable and relatively trouble-free for years, requiring very little in the way of maintenance.  Windoze is the very definition of high-maintenance, as this thread indicates.    
Primary:
A4000T. Phase5 PPC604e-233mhz/060-66mhz. Mediator, Z3 Fastlane, Voodoo5, Delfina, X-Surf, AD516, Peggy Plus.

Collection:
A4000D, A1200, A500, Milan060 (Atari clone), Atari MegaSTE, Atari TT030, C64, C128, Mattel Aquarius, (2) HP Jornada....

Offline amigadaveTopic starter

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2007, 07:07:31 PM »
Wow!  I expected a few responses to this thread from my Amiga brethren, but I am blown away by the number of replies it generated.  Problem now is which replies to try and which to disregard.

I want all of you to know that I posted this thread here because I respect your opinions far more than I would from others I don't know in a typical PC forum, so a very large THANK YOU to all that posted a reply with recommendations.

To further clarify the purpose of my Windows XP Media Edition computer, I run TurboCAD for drafting architectural plans as a business (no need to run TurboCAD down in comparison to AutoCAD, or Revit, which cost thousands of dollars per seat, it works very well for me), Outlook Express to manage several email accounts, Firefox to browse the Internet, Quickbooks to do all the financial work on all of my business ventures and the built-in Media software to watch and record TV through the Dell TV card.  I of course also run Amiga Forever/WinUAE/AmiKit as well, but have installed very few programs on this computer as it has always been intended to be for business use primarily.

I will be away from home for the next few days, but will try some of these recommendations when I return next week.

Thanks again.
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline DonnyEMU

• Show only replies by DonnyEMU
    • http://blog.donburnett.com
« Reply #29 from previous page: October 19, 2007, 07:35:03 PM »
I personally recommend the free home version with free automatic updates of avast anti-virus. Besides being free it doesn't install services or processes that slow down the machine.. download it at http://www.avast.com

I also recommend with XP that you continue to defrag your drive WEEKLY. You can set this to happen automatically.

Personally I have ran both XP 64-bit and Vista 32-bit and 64 bit and I never have problems. As I watch people here complain etc, I wonder why I never have any of these kinds pf problems on my machines. I simply know the hardware and software well and I guess I am doing all the right things. I must be so lucky ;-)

I would suggest if you are setting up the machine to automatically do the right maintenance (defrag, etc.) that you probably will never notice any issues at all..

I don't trust norton or mcaffee, they want to control your machine more than the Virus folks do anymore and they do things that violate architectural standards without checking with Microsoft first.

Also, on XP if you notice a slow down it is very likely that you have been infected with some Malware that's running in the background. Have you checked out your machine with windows defender or Lavasoft's Ad-aware.. I'd almost make a bet with you that if you ran ad-aware your PC would be running faster the moment after you ran it.

======================================
Don Burnett Developer
http://blog.donburnett.com
don@donburnett.com
======================================