Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: FPGA Replay Board  (Read 567013 times)

Description:

Offline Gulliver

Re: FPGA Replay Board
« on: December 31, 2010, 05:44:14 AM »
@yaqube
Is the Picasso96 driver getting some love? ;)

Offline Gulliver

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 07:24:39 PM »
Quote from: yaqube;622538
Today I got the bare daughter board from the PCB shop. I need some time to assemble it completely but I've managed to take a picture of it sitting over the Replay Rev. A board :)

So incredibly awesome!!!

Offline Gulliver

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 04:57:59 PM »
@Mikej
Why instead of supplying the expansion board with a built-in 68060, you just sell it in two variants, a cheaper one without 68060, only with its socket.

Another recommendation, is that you enable 5 volts on the cpu socket by changing a jumper, so that you may even use a 68040 and you may avoid 060 shortage or even allow price reduction this way (68040 are way cheaper).

PS: 68EC060 cpus are much more easily overclockable than their counterparts. A fact of life of the 68k line cpus is that the FPU is the less tolerant component to overclock, so if you get rid of it, you can go higher mhz.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 05:00:13 PM by Gulliver »

Offline Gulliver

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 05:57:53 PM »
Quote from: Darrin;622877
Why make 2 variants when you only need one?  If you don't want the 68060 then you buy the main board with the soft CPU (ideal for most uses and gaming) and then buy the daughterboard if you fancy more power, USB, Ethernet, etc.

Mike's idea of having just one main board makes more economic sense.  Two or more options is just going to add to the base cost.

You are wrong in your assumption, you should understand you dont need to modify the design, just the amount of components you place on the expansion board (one less). Besides it allows you not to tie the board sales to the availability of Mikej to source 68060 cpus and even allow him to target customers with less income (a 68060 cpu in the 2nd hand market is at least $40).
So this second choice gives both Mikej and customers more freedom without any overhead.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 06:00:11 PM by Gulliver »

Offline Gulliver

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 08:54:02 PM »
Quote from: Darrin;622920
Ah, sorry - you and Gulliver are talking about the daughterboard!  My mistake, I thought Gulliver wanted an empty socket on the main board.  Yes, I can see the logic in supplying the daughterboard minus the CPU for those with spare chips.

Yes we were talking about the daughterboard. :)

Offline Gulliver

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 07:26:41 AM »
Since you are talking of customized roms, I may point you to this page I created with information on custom rom modules to include in your kickstarts:

http://lilliput.amiga-projects.net/ROM_modules.htm

I hope you find it usefull :)