Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GreaseWeazle V4 available at Amiga Kit Amiga Store  (Read 4164 times)

Description:

Offline First Ninja

Quote from: amigakit
Read/write various disk formats to floppy disks from a Windows or Mac using this adapter and a PC floppy drive. Supports ADF too!

Unfortunately, this is only partially true. AmigaOS 4.1 isn't supported at all, which is a total dealbreaker to me. I'd love to order a GeaseWeazle, but that assumes that OS 4 has full blown support. @amigakit - how soon can we expect AmigaOS compatibility?
Karate, Jerry. Karate. It's the lifetime pursuit of balance and harmony.

Offline First Ninja

Re: GreaseWeazle V4 available at Amiga Kit Amiga Store
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2021, 06:27:25 PM »
If you want full OS4.1 support I'd recommend you get a Catweasel MK4+

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, the Catweasel is out of stock since years ago. When they did show up on various auction sites, the asking prices are usually with a markup of several orders of magnitude. That is exactly why the Amiga platform should embrace initiatives like this one - buying the GreaseWeazle not only supports hardware developer, creating brand new hardware, but the distributor as well. It's a win-win for everyone but the scalpers.

@amigakit - I'm eagerly awaiting an answer. Thank you in advance.

Offline First Ninja

@First Ninja
We are always prepared to re-invest in these type of software development projects.  The profits we make from our sales routinely get ploughed back every year into new Amiga hardware and software.

First a review of the dependencies would be needed.  I can see that Python 3 and pyserial libraries are required.  This is not going to be a straight forward port.  More investigation is needed.

Thank you for answering. Your general stance about re-investing in Amiga support is potentially good news for the GreaseWeazle. While most solutions would be welcome, building a native AmigaOS version that fully exploits the OS would likely do the GreaseWeazle even more justice.

Implementing the support as a trackdisk.device compatible AmigaOS device, allowing Workbench to access FFS formatted floppies, is strongly encouraged. Even with a basic, read-only version it would make the GreaseWeasle an instabuy item for me. Thank you for considering it 👍.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 08:34:11 PM by First Ninja »