Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Guidance on selling a A4000 and A3000  (Read 1349 times)

Description:

Offline SACC-guy

Re: Guidance on selling a A4000 and A3000
« Reply #59 from previous page: July 13, 2016, 10:59:09 PM »
double post---sorry

Offline slaapliedje

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by slaapliedje
« Reply #60 on: July 14, 2016, 05:40:34 AM »
Quote from: SACC-guy;810999
We see so many dead and un-repairable 3000 and 4000 motherboards due to those damm batteries!!!

When I got my 2nd hand Amiga, the previous owner had swapped out the battery with another barrel one.  I ended up ordering a coin battery adapter off of ebay.  For some rason the way the pins were, it was harder to get the one from Amikit to fit right.

But since he's selling these and doesn't care about the clock at all, definitely remove the ol' leaky bastards before they have a chance to cause damage.

Odd that the Atari systems all used some weird NVRAM battery block.
A4000D: Mediator 4000Di; Voodoo 3, ZorRAM 128MB, 10/100mb Ethernet, Spider 2. Cyberstorm PPC 060/50 604e/420.

Offline matt3k

« Reply #61 on: July 14, 2016, 06:34:37 PM »
Quote from: MarkMaker2;811048
Thank you. I'll check for the 3000 battery tonight.

I had just figured out the drive mounting on the 3000 before checking in. When I did I saw that the drive was not connected to the computer. Plugged it in and now it works.

There is nothing on the computer except for Workbench 2.1 and the PhonePak software. I'd like to test the Ethernet card. Can't see how I'd test PhonePak without a landline.

If you have the phonepak software installed, you will see the lineman program (it is a little bar), plug the phoneline into the phonepak (can't remember which port, but think it is the one closer to the PSU fan) and call the land line.  If the phonepak picks up, it works.

If you don't have the software installed, it isn't worth the effort to set it up.  So just sell it as is...

Offline MarkMaker2Topic starter

• Show only replies by MarkMaker2
« Reply #62 on: July 20, 2016, 05:26:39 AM »
Thanks I'll try the double mouse button to check cards -- Phonepak software is installed but I don't have a landline to plug it into.

Lost a few days due to being out of town. I'm leaning towards Amibay over e-Bay -- hopefully by Thursday or Friday should figure out what a fair price is and  status of the 4000.

Offline spaceman88

• Show only replies by spaceman88
« Reply #63 on: July 20, 2016, 04:34:02 PM »
Quote from: MarkMaker2;811353
Thanks I'll try the double mouse button to check cards -- Phonepak software is installed but I don't have a landline to plug it into.

Lost a few days due to being out of town. I'm leaning towards Amibay over e-Bay -- hopefully by Thursday or Friday should figure out what a fair price is and  status of the 4000.

Only problem with Amibay is most of the users are in Europe. When I listed my A3000 on there several people wanted it, but when they found out the shipping costs they lost interest. If you list it there make sure you put a notice here as well for the max. number of viewers.

« Reply #64 on: July 21, 2016, 02:17:14 AM »
For the people who PMed me. So sorry I didn't respond. Only today did I notice I had a bunch of notifications and when I clicked on them I saw the PMs. Going through and responding to them now.

Quote from: spaceman88;811377
Only problem with Amibay is most of the users are in Europe. When I listed my A3000 on there several people wanted it, but when they found out the shipping costs they lost interest. If you list it there make sure you put a notice here as well for the max. number of viewers.

Yeah I noticed it was 80% Euros, 10% British Pounds and then maybe 10% USD. Since I discovered I have PMs with people interested I'm going to try to make a deal here.

Goal is to get the A4000 working but either way I'm going to clean them up, get more detailed specs, take some better pictures, and have a price for the people who PMed me by the weekend.

« Reply #65 on: July 21, 2016, 05:28:39 AM »
The A4000 now boots.

I had previously tried to use an A520 to connect it to my TV but got nothing. Today I realized my Dell monitor has an RCA input. Plugged it in and got the purple screen with the ROM 3.0

Connected the harddrives and I got various states of Workbench -- basically I'd get a gray screen that said Workbench but no icons. Sometimes I would get a clock followed by just gray screen. Finally this last time after the clock my Samsung which is connected to the Cybervision flashed Light My Fire followed by Workbench booting normally which was then followed by a popup saying System3.1 had a bad sector and a number.

Good news is A4000 seems to be operational. Bad news is it looks like the IDE drive is dying. I have an extra 40GB IDE drive that I'm not using and which I know is currently problem free. The A4000 also has a SCSI drive. I have no idea why I'm booting off the IDE rather than the SCSI.

Connecting the SCSI drive without the IDE boots to an AmigaDOS screen on the RCA output.

Anyway I'm happy with the outcome. Thank you all for the help. I'll post again when I have some pictures with a decent camera.