Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: IndivisionECS will have dual video output!  (Read 19828 times)

Description:

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
Re: IndivisionECS will have dual video output!
« on: August 26, 2009, 08:23:31 AM »
Quote from: NovaCoder;520921
Very cool, will you be able to drag-and drop between monitors?  How about run one monitor in a different resolution to the other one?  You could then have a 50hz PAL game running on one and have a productivity application open on the other @ 1024x768 ;)

I would be surprised to find the functionality of dragging from one monitor to another, but THAT would be very cool indeed.  But is it as cool since it is only on ECS computers, not AGA?

Still, Jens keeps coming out with one cool Amiga add-on after another and I will probably buy at least one of them if not two or more.  Having two for different Amiga computers I could test out the multiple monitor displays on one Amiga by borrowing one of the ECS Indivisions from one Amiga and placing both in another Amiga.

Way to go Jens, you keep Amiga computing interesting and it just keeps getting better.  I love my two Indivisions for my A1200 and A4000.

P.S. NovaCoder - nice specs in your signature of your A1200 system.
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 06:24:31 AM »
What, you have a crystal ball that can show what the sales numbers would be at $100 per unit compared to $140 per unit?  I don't think so!  I don't think anyone can guarantee that more profit would be made in the long run at different price points per unit.

It is Jens product to price at what ever point he chooses and you can either choose to buy 1, or 2, or a dozen.  Personally I don't think the dual monitor mode was planned from the beginning.  I think it was just a happy coincidence that he, or someone on his development team figured out that with the DIP socket they could double up two ECS Indivisions and with some clever additional programming, they could provide the dual monitor display option.  I don't think it is over engineered like someone said, but it is also not what could be called "Value Engineered" to be the cheapest scan doubler available.  Rather it is engineered to be the best scan doubling product available for the Amiga and I for one think the price is very fair considering the years of research behind it that allowed it to be created and the results of what it provide to the user.

If you can invent a product that provides the same quality display cheaper, go for it and good luck to you.

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 07:05:11 AM »
I will not join in any name calling, but I do disagree with your thinking that new hardware for the Amiga that comes with a warranty should somehow be cheaper than old hardware on eBay.

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 07:24:43 PM »
Quote from: rebb;521334
Sadly Compact flash card from my cf-ide68k is going over Denise chip. So thinking about building adapter to "move" Denise socket elsewhere, any ideas where to get connectors for flatcable? (Like ones they used in kickstart switchers). Otherwise, this is brilliant idea! Looking forward to code some demo routines for dual screen setup.

That would also solve having to remove the floppy drive.  I wonder if there is any reason the Indivision would NOT work if the Denise socket was relocated with a ribbon cable and adapter?  Jens, have you considered this?

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 06:38:00 PM »
Quote from: quarkx;521701
Hey, let me just point out, that I am not Arguing and arguing.

I would have to disagree with you and point to how many posts you have made in just this thread as evidence.

Quote from: quarkx;52170
Red's seem to have a much better price on it than Amigakit

Another stupid remark that is incorrect.  You really should have quit this thread a long time ago, or just admitted that you were wrong and then dropped all of you idiocy.  Your statements are incorrect and your logic is faulty.

Quote from: quarkx;52170
This will be the last comment I post on the matter here, because, obviously I can't and will not EVER EVER EVER get my point across, and nobody sees my point of view.

I wish it had been your last comment on this matter, but you just keep going on and on without making any sense and then complain that you are not understood.  We understand you perfectly, but you are just plain wrong and don't want to admit it.  Grow UP!

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 09:13:03 PM »
Quote from: quarkx;521733
Maybe you better go back and re-read the posts.
for your first quote , jen was talking about my blog, not this thread.
second, I did admit and apologise that The currency was listed in Canadain Dollars on Amigakits website and in US dolars on Red's making Red's A buck MORE than Amigakits.
so instead of jumping on your high horse, because YOU think I am wrong, read the posts properly.
but enough already. I am getting sick of this childish behavour. YOU need to grow up, but i guess you just want to troll instead.

If you want me to stop posting, then You quit making blatently false and missinformed acusations in which I need to clarify the comment, and defend myself.

You just don't know when to quit do you? I don't care what you say Jens was writing about, I was pointing out that you are just arguing here in this thread (so I doubt you act differently anywhere else) and "I" am not the only one who thinks you are making an idiot out of yourself with your ideas on how Jens should market his gear.  I have not made any "blatently false or misinformed accusations" about you or anything you have posted in this thread.

By continuing to "Argue" in this thread you just confirm what I posted about you in my first quote and continue to act childish, what are you 14 years old?

Don't worry, I won't waste another keystroke on you or this stupid topic that you think you know better on how to market Jen's work.

(I am sure you will have to make some more stupid responses to this and other posts as you are too immature to know when to quit)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 09:20:21 PM by amigadave »

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2009, 02:52:18 AM »
Sorry Red and everyone else.  I just get riled up sometimes and have to respond to some of the bullsh!+ that gets spouted around here from time to time.

Quote from: NovaCoder;521774
Notice I said version 2 ;)

I think a softcore AGA for FPGA is still a ways off from being completed, but maybe some day what you are asking for will be possible.

I don't doubt that some would want AGA for their A500/A1000/A2000/CDTV, but for me, I think I would just rather use my A1200 and/or CD32.

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2009, 07:55:33 AM »
Quote from: Schoenfeld;521797
AGA requires quadroupling the data rate, which is pretty much impossible on 2-layer boards without a wider data bus.

AGA reaches twice the data rate with a twice-as-wide data bus and another factor of two with double-CAS accesses (kind of a burst). This would have to be translated into a burst of 4 16-bit words in order to get the data across from the Agnug socket to the Denise socket.

Given the short data-valid-window and the extremely flaky rise/fall times of the chip data bus, such a transfer would be very flaky, if not impossible. It all comes down to making a new mainboard.

In my opinion, you don't really need AGA in everyday life. My A3000 was my favourite Amiga for quite a long time, mainly due to it's compactness and the built-in flickerfixer. I guess this place will be taken by an A500 or A600 now, as it can run without any moving parts (CF card instead of HD, fanless power supply).

Jens

I agree Jens, AGA is not really needed, but I understand the desire of many who always wanted to be able to get AGA working for their A500, A600, A2000 and A3000 Amigas.  Some would even want it for their CDTV and A1000's.  It all goes back to the old Amiga way of doing more with less and keeping old gear working for years and years past any reasonable time it should have been used.  I have plenty of AGA Amigas, so I don't have such a desire to make my ECS Amigas able to run AGA games and programs.  Your IndivisionECS is all the display enhancement I need or want for an A500 & A600 and my big box Amigas all have graphic cards in them.

Thanks again for creating all the great Amiga gear you have produced.  Keep on providing us Amiga fans with new ways to enjoy our hobby.

Any chance that you will complete an 030 accelerator for the A600 that will work with the A603 and IndivisionECS?  That would really get the A600 close to being a replacement for the A3000 you mentioned.  Specially if it could be fitted with a USB controller to connect an external CDRW drive.

Edit: NovaCoder, I think that NatAmi, or an add-on for Jens own C-One computer would be better suited for duplicating and hopefully improving upon the AGA chipset than trying to squeeze it into 2 IndivisionECS boards.  I think the dream of having AGA on any of the old ECS or OCS Amiga models is just that, a Dream or a Fantasy.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 08:09:27 AM by amigadave »