Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: IndivisionECS will have dual video output!  (Read 19834 times)

Description:

Offline NovaCoder

Re: IndivisionECS will have dual video output!
« on: August 26, 2009, 01:45:23 AM »
Very cool, will you be able to drag-and drop between monitors?  How about run one monitor in a different resolution to the other one?  You could then have a 50hz PAL game running on one and have a productivity application open on the other @ 1024x768 ;)
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

Offline NovaCoder

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 04:22:35 AM »
CloneA lives!

Sorry, couldn't resist ;)
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

Offline NovaCoder

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 12:43:18 AM »
Quote from: graffias79;520962
Perhaps a Paula 16 AHI driver could be written?

That would be the only practical way of doing it.
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

Offline NovaCoder

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 01:44:38 AM »
Quote from: Beast96GT;521176
@Jens

What would be the advantage of this kit (other than dual monitors) over my Amber card?
Chris

You can buy it.

:)
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

Offline NovaCoder

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 04:17:31 AM »
Quote from: Beast96GT;521198
Wow, new hardware developed for a dead machine and people complain that it costs too much.  What do you really expect?!   I bought my Amber card off ebay for $150 and had to pull my Toaster to put it in.  Dead hardware development isn't the bill payer for Jens--I'm just glad he loves the Ami enough to do this stuff.  BTW:  Shhh....  I don't think anybody's getting rich on this stuff, call me crazy.  ;)   'Nuff said.

X2, Jens is never going to get rich from selling this stuff...he does it because he can.  If you don't want to pay the $$$ for new Amiga HW, don't.
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

Offline NovaCoder

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2009, 12:56:58 AM »
Quote from: redrumloa;521763
Before this gets too heated, could we please just get back on topic? That's everyone, myself included.

Ok Mr Red :)

I wonder if version 2 could be re-flashed to add AGA support...is it technically possible peoples?
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

Offline NovaCoder

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2009, 01:52:30 AM »
Quote from: redrumloa;521771
AFAIK Jens said no earlier. :-/

Notice I said version 2...with an FPGA Alice ;)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 06:29:38 AM by NovaCoder »
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

Offline NovaCoder

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2009, 03:03:37 AM »
Quote from: amigadave;521779
I think a softcore AGA for FPGA is still a ways off from being completed, but maybe some day what you are asking for will be possible.

I don't doubt that some would want AGA for their A500/A1000/A2000/CDTV, but for me, I think I would just rather use my A1200 and/or CD32.

Yep I realise that it won't be happening anytime soon, I just wondered if it was technically possible (because AGA is not that much different to ECS).
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

Offline NovaCoder

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2009, 07:47:29 AM »
Quote from: Schoenfeld;521797
AGA requires quadroupling the data rate, which is pretty much impossible on 2-layer boards without a wider data bus.

AGA reaches twice the data rate with a twice-as-wide data bus and another factor of two with double-CAS accesses (kind of a burst). This would have to be translated into a burst of 4 16-bit words in order to get the data across from the Agnug socket to the Denise socket.

Jens

Jens,

Excuse my lack of understanding but would it not be possible to link these 2 FPGA addons together externally (an extra data-bus?)

Regardless, I'm personally more interested in an improved AGA design using FPGA(S).  Either as an add-on to existing AGA motherboards, new MB's for classic cases or just new mini ITX style motherboards :)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 07:49:49 AM by NovaCoder »
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

Offline NovaCoder

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2009, 12:10:48 AM »
Quote from: Schoenfeld;521856

- Graffiti built-in
Maybe not the killer-application, but it increases the number of colours on a lores screen. Programs that are written for the Graffiti will display the correct gfx instead of the broken-looking command&pixel data that would be displayed on a normal TV

I'd missed this before, this is actually quite interesting.  A few PC conversions already exist that support Graffiti so it might be possible that you could run (for example) DOOM better on a little A600 that you could on a standard A1200 using the IndivisionECS.

Any chance you could also add Graffiti support to the IndivisionAGA with an FPGA update or would it require a new model?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 12:13:41 AM by NovaCoder »
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

Offline NovaCoder

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2009, 01:53:55 AM »
Quote from: alexh;521911
Not with a 7MHz 68000 :)

Mmmm not sure but it would be an interesting contest.

In the red corner we have a 7MHZ 68000 with a chunky 8bit display....and in the blue corner we have a 14MHZ 68020 with a planar 8bit display....ok, FIGHT!

:)
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!