Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Advice Needed: Should a buy a vanilla A1200 @ 50 Euro?  (Read 4231 times)

Description:

Offline iamaboringperson

• Show only replies by iamaboringperson
Re: Advice Needed: Should a buy a vanilla A1200 @ 50 Euro?
« Reply #44 from previous page: September 04, 2003, 08:51:28 AM »
But you have to tell people about your experience with micro computers from the 70's, people just arnt convinced these days by superior technical knowledge alone, you know.

Offline xeron

• Show only replies by xeron
    • http://www.petergordon.org.uk
« Reply #45 on: September 04, 2003, 11:15:24 AM »

DoomMaster wrote:
Also, I have personally owned, operated, repaired and upgraded EVERY kind and type of personal computer ever made

Really? Including the C65, Amstrad CPC472, Amiga 2200, Enterprise 64/128, *ALL* the MSX models, SX-64, the Commodore CBM-II range, all the Archimedes/RiscPC models, the Apricot line of computers, the research machines 380Z, and 480Z, and the MITS Altair? Cool!

Edit: Incidentally, a friend of mine is attempting to own one of every home computer up to the mid-90s or so, and currently has almost 400 computers, and is nowhere near completing his goal ;-)
Playstation Network ID: xeron6

Offline xyth

• Show only replies by xyth
« Reply #46 on: September 04, 2003, 12:23:51 PM »
Taking the thread completely off topic...

@Jethro_Tull:

I salute your choice of username and avatar (and your decision to return to the Amiga - welcome back!)

BTW, Stormwatch makes for a damn nice WB backdrop.

You probably ate it, thinking it was... a carrot!
Amiga 1230/50 + 34MB  (OS3.5 + DOpus 5.82)

Offline olegil

• Show only replies by olegil
« Reply #47 on: September 04, 2003, 12:38:31 PM »

B00tDisk wrote:
The A1200 is a motherboard that comes conveniently packaged in a sturdy plastic-and-metal packing case.  Once you remove it from this shipping container and install it into a modified ATX tower, you're all set!  :-D

Hehe, but it's possibly easier to fit a Mediator onto it afterwards if you use an Amiga-ified tower rather than make it yourself.

Offline Jethro_TullTopic starter

• Show only replies by Jethro_Tull
« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2003, 02:01:44 PM »
@ xyth
Thanks for your kind words xyth, your avatar beats mine hands down, it's simply awesome.  Actually the album cover of Broadsword and the Beast is my all time favourite, did you know the runes on the boarder are actually the opening lyrics of the 'Broadsword' track?  

If it's of any interest to you, I've been following the band since I was 8, and actually managed to catch up with them at the NEC in Birmingham during their 25th Anniversary Tour, and also managed to have a mugshot with Mr.Anderson and Mr.Barre backstage.   The later was quite pleasant and talkative, asking me a myriad of questions about my job, music tastes and life in general.  Martin's parents were also back stage and were  very nice people, in comparison Ian autographed the various album / CD covers at lightning speed (although he didn't decline a single plea), said a quick word and disappeared!  

I've used the Jethro Tull name with the usual 'flute player on a single leg' silhuette logo thoughout my demo coding days, many years ago.  Everyone thought it was a really pecuiliar name, often mispronounced it and nobody knew about the band, even though they had won a grammy award!  

@everyone
I realise I've gone way off topic here, but at least other Jethro Tull aficanados might reply ..........  

if this long winded mail has got you curious about the band, you can download the following mpeg clip from 'www.laufi.de' or take a look at the official band website 'www.j-tull.com'

' I didn't care 'friend', I wasn't there 'friend', if it's the price of a pint is all that you need....  ask me again!'

Offline mikeymike

• Show only replies by mikeymike
« Reply #49 on: September 04, 2003, 02:23:26 PM »
But you have to tell people about your experience with micro computers from the 70's, people just arnt convinced these days by superior technical knowledge alone, you know.

Why not just say you've got an MCSE? :-D

Offline xyth

• Show only replies by xyth
« Reply #50 on: September 04, 2003, 02:23:36 PM »
I've never had a chance to see Jethro Tull live, they don't tend to come down my way (New Zealand) too often.  I'm incredibly jealous.

I've been a huge fan ever since I discovered them in 1992 at the tender age of 14.

As this thread might completely lose it's focus if I start singing the praises of Jethro Tull, I thought I might start a new thread in Talk About. Interesting to see if anyone else shows up.

JT fans do tend to show up in the strangest of placest.  It's like we're a secret masonic type club or something :)

But your new shoes are worn at the heels,
And your suntan does rapidly peels,
And your wise men don't know how it feels,
To be thick as a brick.
Amiga 1230/50 + 34MB  (OS3.5 + DOpus 5.82)

Offline Jethro_TullTopic starter

• Show only replies by Jethro_Tull
« Reply #51 on: September 04, 2003, 02:42:01 PM »
The thread is forking into a 'Everyone Vs DoomMaster' and a 'Toolheads' thread, I'm defninitly not complaining about the later, it's evolving in quite a pleasant and interesting way, unless DoomMaster declares himself to be a Tull fan!  You're perfectly right, Tull fans spring up when you least expect them!

The show I've mentioned was awesome, but musically the best live concert I've been to was by Deep Purple, the literally held the crowd in their hands throughout the whole set, everyone singing along all the tracks, with breathtaking solos by all the members.  Unbeleivable!  Personally I'm jelous of those who attended the Passion Play and Thick as a Brick concerts, I've often read they were a one of a kind thing.....

'Let me tell you the tales of your life of
your love and the cut of the knife
the tireless oppression
the wisdom instilled
the desire to kill or be killed.
Let me sing of the losers who lie in the street as the last bus goes by.
The pavements ar empty: the gutters run red
while the fool toasts his god in the sky.'

Offline amigamad

• Show only replies by amigamad
« Reply #52 on: September 04, 2003, 02:48:51 PM »
first personal computer was released back in 1977, the Apple computer

Im sure it was not apple who had the first personal computer. :-?
I once had an amigaone xe but sold it .

http://www.tamiyaclub.com

Offline amigamad

• Show only replies by amigamad
« Reply #53 on: September 04, 2003, 02:58:28 PM »
Incidentally, a friend of mine is attempting to own one of every home computer up to the mid-90s or so, and currently has almost 400 computers, and is nowhere near completing his goal

Well somewhere i have an atari portfolio its an old dos based hanheld thing. :-)
I once had an amigaone xe but sold it .

http://www.tamiyaclub.com

Offline tintin

• Show only replies by tintin
« Reply #54 on: September 04, 2003, 04:33:54 PM »
I got confused about this thread but I think I got it now : You have to be a Jethro Tull fan, preferably since the 70's, to be considered an expert on these pages, and of course you can not be called doommaster :-P
Now how about this advice? Should he or shouldn't he buy ?  I, for one, think it's about time we found out. :-)

Offline Wain

• Show only replies by Wain
« Reply #55 on: September 04, 2003, 06:10:21 PM »
I've got a Kaypro IV (not a Kaypro 4 mind you) that I've been trying to wire an RLL hard drive to, any ideas?
Professional Expatriate

Offline Wain

• Show only replies by Wain
« Reply #56 on: September 04, 2003, 06:13:15 PM »
@tintin

We already established that he SHOULD, he also said he is going to.

(YAY!! Another Amigan returns!)

:-D
Professional Expatriate

Offline tintin

• Show only replies by tintin
« Reply #57 on: September 04, 2003, 06:34:13 PM »
Ah, that how it goes, first we give the advise the guy needs and then, just for fun, we continue the thread with other stuff.  That's cool.

I just thought it was quite funny how threads can meander from one subject to the next. 8-)

Offline B00tDisk

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by B00tDisk
    • http://www.thedelversdungeon.com
« Reply #58 on: September 05, 2003, 01:17:23 AM »

olegil wrote:

B00tDisk wrote:
The A1200 is a motherboard that comes conveniently packaged in a sturdy plastic-and-metal packing case.  Once you remove it from this shipping container and install it into a modified ATX tower, you're all set!  :-D

Hehe, but it's possibly easier to fit a Mediator onto it afterwards if you use an Amiga-ified tower rather than make it yourself.

Oh come on!  That's why God created Dremel tools and soldering irons!!!  :-)
Back away from the EU-SSR!

Offline jeffimix

• Show only replies by jeffimix
« Reply #59 on: September 05, 2003, 01:49:25 AM »
It is kind of fun to feel that I almost made a mistake in even buying the A2000, and shoulda got a 1200 cause of cheaper '060, color TV outs and AGA gfx, but see it hyped by just *one guy* on the forum ;).
\\"The only benchmarks that matter is my impression of the system while using the apps I use. Everything else is opinion.\\" - FooGoo