Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: $755 and 8 days to go  (Read 4561 times)

Description:

Offline steve30

• Show only replies by steve30
    • http://www.stevecoates.net
Re: $755 and 8 days to go
« Reply #29 from previous page: August 14, 2006, 08:31:46 AM »
I saw an overclocked BPPC/060/SCSI sell for abut £500 a few weeks ago.

I think it's because people want them, so will pay alot for them. I paid £110 for my a1200 and 1230, even though I could probably get a low spec PC for that.

Offline alewis

• Show only replies by alewis
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2006, 10:55:12 AM »
People will pay what they feel it is worth to them. And why not?

I stuck my heavily modded B2000 on ebay, with a BIN price of £75. Even with all the goodies (GVP 68030, 12MB RAM, Supra SCSI, GVP/IO, FFV, etc etc etc) I din't expect to get much more than £20 for it.

It sold in less than an hour. To a guy in Australia. Who was willing to pay £140 and wait 6-8 weeks to have it shipped out there.

I've spent a small fortune on my Amiga kit over the last 20 years. Most "recently" a PIV and CSPPC/060. The former is still not fitted, the later fitted last Friday. Now its in, I'm sorta wondering what to do next. Maybe stick the Mig in one of the *two* A4K towers... Then finish rebuilding the A1200T I have.

@Boot_WB - good luck with the auction mate, I'm half tempted to stick mine on and revert back to the Warp Engine 040 in my 4K

Offline justthatgood

• Show only replies by justthatgood
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2006, 01:37:10 PM »
I actually have no problem with blowing their money on stuff.

For some reason I know that when someone blows that much cash on something Amiga, they will put it in their system, do something and have problems and will say "I just spent so and so on this eBay...   ...I can't get it working, this and that"

Usually that is followed by a "now I'm going to have to spend more money on this." Statement.  It's just in this place in time when economies are being pushed to their max, jobs are being cut back, salaries are being stretched, and a lot of other things are acting screwy in the world, I feel that sometimes that kind of spending is a waste.

Somethings when I hear customers complain how they have 20 million house properties they own they have to drop some time into, and own of them have have to put a mere $600 into .

I also I get the type that tell me to hurry up because they have to go sign papers to get some family evicted from their property. Mind you I'm loading very heavy objects and dirty mulch on the plastic in the cargo area of their 2006 Cadillac Escalade ESV, trying not to rip their leather and dirty their light interior.

So when I get someone that is riding in a $65,000 SUV, that gets about about 12 miles (19.31 km) to the gallon fuel economy, tell me that is poor to hurry up so they can kick some working family out of their house that is barely suriving so they can make more money, I get issues when people blow their money on things like that.

It wouldn't have been that bad if it was something a little more modern, or more commerically supported. At least something that has a warranty on it. I don't know I'm just going to crawl back to work.
[color=008000]Pluto[/color]:Amiga4KD- 64040/16megs/1GB WD/PAR 2150/1942/WB3.0,3.1,3.9
[color=800080]Amanda[/color]:Amiga2KHD/A2620/8MegSupraRam2k/A2091/VLab

Offline coldfish

• Show only replies by coldfish
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2006, 02:21:27 AM »
Good luck to the seller, I'd say.

Personally, I think spending that much on antique computer hardware is a bit strange, but what would you expect from people still using the Amiga after all these years?   :-P

Makes me happy all my Amigas are emulated.

Offline AmigaHeretic

• Show only replies by AmigaHeretic
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2006, 04:33:13 AM »
Fot this price you van buy a 1GHz PC with a lot of options!

- AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 dual-core processor 3800+ (2 cores both running over 2ghz)
- 2GB PC3200 DDR
- NVIDIA GeForce 6100 graphics with PCI Express x16 expansion
- 5.1-channel audio
- DVD±RW/CD-RW with double-layer support records up to 8.5GB of data
- 250GB hard drive
- 7 total USB 2.0 ports
- 3 IEEE 1394 (FireWire) interfaces
- 9-in-1 digital media manager supports CompactFlash, SmartMedia, Secure Digital, MultiMediaCard, Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO, xD-Picture Card and Microdrive
- 10/100 Mbps Ethernet
- V.92 high-speed data/fax modem
- Multimedia keyboard
- USB optical Mouse
- Stereo speakers
- XP Media Center Edition

$759.99

Not having to run windows though.... well you can't put a price on that.  

AmigaHeretic
A3000D (16mhz, 2MB Chip, 4MB Fast, SCSI (300+MB), SuperGen Genlock, Kick 3.1)
Back in my day, we didn\'t have water. We only had Oxygen and Hydrogen, and we\'d just have to shove them together.

Offline SHADES

• Show only replies by SHADES
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2006, 04:55:02 AM »
There is just NO way i would pay that ammount of money for such antiquated hardware.
WinUAE will do it so much faster and I don't even need to go PPC to get the speed.

I would sell my 4k if it was working and people would pay that. It's just crazy.
It's not the question, that is the problem, it is the problem, that is the question.

Offline pierre

• Show only replies by pierre
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2006, 05:07:21 AM »
Some people... the fact that ppl are willing to pay $700 for an old piece of hard is testament to how COOL AMIGA is!  Sure you can buy a piece of crap pc for that price... the buyer most likely already has one of those.  The fact is that board is cool (no I won't pay that much :-) ) and you cant just go get one...so they are $$$, if you have more time OR CONNECTIONS you can get one cheaper for sure. I agree the seller has done nothing worng per say ( it would be nice if ppl did give a bit more background when they can(you could have), and it's your job to research if they are just flipping stuff on ebay... not that cool...)  anyway I let be happy somebody is willing to pay that much to ENJOY the amiga at its best and sombody else was able to make some money helping make that happen. (not ever deal with be this sweet!)

Offline pierre

« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2006, 05:10:30 AM »
hey shades....it's not working... does it have a ppc?  How much DID YOU SPEND on this box.... 4000ers don't go for that much... give it a shot...(you do have a long shot anybody does!) it's the ppc ppl want!  We are lucky we have ebay to get ANYTHING for the amiga in 2006....;

Offline SHADES

• Show only replies by SHADES
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2006, 05:31:45 AM »
@pierre
I just use WinUAE now.
It's faster, still runs everything AMIGA and has the benifit of 100Mbit network and SCSI so all my drives connect native like they did day one.
Oh, and it was much cheaper lol.
I still get all of the AMIGA experience too, even floppy sound emulation lol.
It's not the question, that is the problem, it is the problem, that is the question.

Offline Sparky

• Show only replies by Sparky
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2006, 05:45:26 AM »
Not bad at all ... amiga stuff can fetch good prices when you get some of the more rabid buyers :-)

3 years ago I sold my A4000D with CyberstomPPC/060, CVPPC, soundcard and a few other odds n ends for 880GBP ... and was quite chuffed with that ... ok so I snatched the money out of the guys hands and slammed the door ;-)

Offline bigpoppa

• Show only replies by bigpoppa
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2006, 07:33:22 AM »
If I remember correctly I paid slightly over $900 US for my Cyberstorm 68060 (and it doesn't even have the PPC chip on it.)

This auction makes me suspect though.

Offline Vincent

• Show only replies by Vincent
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2006, 02:02:19 PM »

AmigaHeretic wrote:
$759.99

Now, why do I find that to be funny?  Something to do with the letter G I suppose :-D
Xbox360
"Oh no. Everytime you turn up something monumental and terrible happens.
I don\'t think I have the stomach for it." - Raziel

Offline pierre

« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2006, 03:44:25 PM »
Shades... whats your point?  I have winUAE... It's cool you can't run the the toaster of any other FUN ZORRO cards can you...you clearly don't know what the REAL thing has to offer.
All I can say is good for you...enjoy your games. It not like I care (im not buying this thing....)

Offline maffoo

• Show only replies by maffoo
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2006, 04:18:02 PM »

SHADES wrote:
@pierre
I just use WinUAE now.
I still get all of the AMIGA experience too, even floppy sound emulation lol.

I find that UAE just isn't the same as the real thing somehow, which is why I've recently acquired an A1200. Although there's no way I'd spend over £400 on an accelerator for it!

That said, if someone has the money and they'll find a use for it (maybe they want to try MorphOS and don't have space for another computer?) then it's their money. And at least the winner can say they've got one of the fastest Amigas on the planet  :-)

Offline OlecranonTopic starter

• Show only replies by Olecranon
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2006, 04:58:59 PM »
by bigpoppa on 2006/8/15 1:33:22

If I remember correctly I paid slightly over $900 US for my Cyberstorm 68060 (and it doesn't even have the PPC chip on it.)

This auction makes me suspect though.

I'm not sure I would actually admit to that  :lol:

Unless... you purchased it brand new in the mid 90's when it was state of the art technology.  In 1997 I bought a P2-400Mhz cpu with an ASUS MB that had LVD SCSI for $1000.  So I'm not beyond forking out crazy money on computer hardware.  That was as fast as you could get though.  Everyone at work was amazed because I was pulling 70FPS on quake 2 with dual voodoo 2's  :-D

Offline sdyates

• Show only replies by sdyates
    • http://VintageGameSite.com
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2006, 06:55:38 PM »
Anyone want an A2000 with 030 gvp accelerator and scsi II for some crazy amount of money?

Seriously though, what would you gusy expect something liek that to go for? the A2000?

Afterall, I have two A3000
1 x A500, Hi-toro 4000 :)
1 iMac OSx, 1 Mac Mini
1 Wintel 03 svr

http://www.RetroGameAndComputer.com
http://www.BassFishing-Gurus.com