Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Interest in buying a Mac version of Amiga OS4.x  (Read 14133 times)

Description:

Offline Matt_H

Re: Interest in buying a Mac version of Amiga OS4.x
« on: August 12, 2011, 12:52:59 PM »
@ drHirudo

I don't know what the supply situation is in your area, but, globally, PPC Macs are cheap and plentiful and can be repaired at any Apple store or any number of 3rd party dealers for a fraction of the price of a Sam. I don't mean to disparage the Sam boards - I'm sure they're a fine product - but there's no denying that they are very expensive on the price/performance scale.

The MorphOS port to Macs has brought in many, many more users. Since OS4 has far greater name recognition than MorphOS I have no doubt it could bring in a far greater number. That has the added benefit of extending the operating life of the machines, keeping them out of landfills.

As to the possible piracy angle, what does more harm to the community? People using OS4 and not paying for it? Or people not using OS4 and not paying for it? I think the latter. Even with pirated copies, you'll get users commenting on Amiga forums, affecting web metric counts, maybe even developing some software and coming to their senses and buying a proper copy. All of which contribute to the health of the platform more than people not using it at all.

I know you're not fond of MorphOS - that's fine, that your opinion - but I think it's foolish of you to advocate throwing out a capable hardware platform because of its association with an operating system you don't like.

Yes, I would buy a Mac version of OS4.