Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AmigaOS 4.1 for 68k, and i got mad :)  (Read 22831 times)

Description:

Offline GulliverTopic starter

AmigaOS 4.1 for 68k, and i got mad :)
« on: November 23, 2009, 09:54:03 PM »
Read about my personal pipe-dream:

http://lilliput.host-cafe.com/TechDetails2.htm

...and feel free to comment

Re: AmigaOS 4.1 for 68k, and i got mad :)
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 12:43:18 AM »
VisualPrefs is a good solution, and afa too.
From my humble point of view, VisualPrefs works great in all systems while afa requires a GFX card and is a bit slower, but nevertheless, great stuff too.
On the other hand, i havent got good memories of PowerwindowsNG, but the concept behind it, is great.

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 04:54:29 PM »
@kolla
I see your point. Sometime ago, i remeber i created something like 68000 OS 3.9 by adding 3.1 stuff and third party stuff, never too usable though. But, yes you are right, most of todays stuff comes for 020+. So anyway, where did you get to with your OS3.9 on MiniMig project?

@Vulture
As allways, your mileage may vary applies using OS4 stuff on 68k, but yes that stuff is usable. And, ContextMenus works with AmigaOS 3.9, i tested it myself, it requires you have popupmenu.library installed.
By the way, be carefull when picking up the 68k stuff. Files which were 68k on some prerelease versions, are PPC only on final OS4 CDs. To find out which one is PPC only, simply open it with a suitable text editor and if it says ELF at the very beginning of the file (from the second byte onwards), then it is PPC only.

@wawrzon
Please convince Bernd on adding afa support for people that use screens lower than 16bit!
Could you point me out where the last powerwindows version is, i am willing to give it one more try, maybe i was using some old version!
Aminet version of netsurf works great on my WinUAE setup, but it is a pitty it cannot work on my AGA Amiga :(

@Bernd_afa
I agree with what you say... OS4 is slower, and MorphOS is better in far too many technical ways. But my goal was to enhance AmigaOS 3.9 68k functionality and sort of create AmigaOS 4.1 for 68k. I find it really difficult to do it looking on Morphos, as it is 100% PPC code with a tottaly different kernel.

And i was hoping you could reconsider making afa to work with setups with less than 16bit, that would be great, at least for me :)
I didnt knew that GuardianAngel could be something like GrimmReaper, i will test it!

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 06:11:00 PM »
@bernd_afa
I am not wrong, OS4.1 comes with MUI 4.
I have just checked on my OS4.1 cd! And yes they are quite similar, but a ton of 68k bugs were fixed on the 3.9/4.0 process, just see the changelog/history. However, I agree that Zune is a better option, and has some sort of MUI4 functionality, but then it is only for GFX card users.
I think you are right in saying that 16bit screens are faster and the way to go, but then most Amigas, dont have a GFX card!, and that is my point. Not only 68000 barebone users, in fact, there are quite a lot of 68030 and 68040 users out there with plenty of Fast RAM, but without a GFX card! So please reconsider!
Anyway, i added afa to the website :) with the corresponding link

@dcr8520
OWB got the link fixed! Thanks

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2009, 08:13:38 PM »
Yes, they are usefull under 3.9, but not all of them, so test with caution. And as said before, ContextMenus works provided you install popupmenu.library which you can find on aminet and according to Doobrey/Ratte, trackdisk.device doesnt. But please have in mind i also picked up stuff from prerelease OS4 versions too.

And.... once and for all:

OS 4 -> MUI 3.9
OS 4.1 -> MUI 4 -> MUI 20.294 (26.06.2008)  (c) 1992-2008 Stefan Stuntz, AmigaOS4/PPC

I have both AmigaOS cds so i am not kidding! (Anyway it is no big issue itself)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 08:22:08 PM by Gulliver »

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2009, 08:25:48 PM »
@wawrzon
Thanks, i will use powerwindows, will tweak it, bend it, until it works as intended!

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2009, 10:51:17 PM »
@dannyp1
Sounds a bit odd! i tested it myself and got: file is not executable (CLI) and failed return code 10 (WB). By the way, the executable attribute was properly set. So please check again

@AmigaMance
I dont know either where to get popupmenu.library 10.10.1 :(
List68k works only in PPC :)

@kolla
Wow, you must have spent quite some time to accomplish that! if i have more time, i will play with that concept once more. Anyway, publishing the entire package list for 3.9 on 68000  would be an interesting addition to put in on my website!

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2009, 05:29:23 PM »
Please anyone reading this, please take the time to answer the poll that @Cammy suggested!
I hope everyone understands that a real Amiga is not either Amithlon, WinUAE, ect.!

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2009, 06:42:15 PM »
Some users sent  me PM regarding ContextMenus on working on 68k, i have just found out, there is a neat replacement which was PD and for AmigaOS 3.5 and up.

The programm ContextSAS by Andre Dörffler provides the possibility to create and use context sensitive menus for AmigaOS3.5+. The DefIcons system is supported. With some additional tools it is possible to iconify Workbench windows and to create system links.

Version 1.72 of ContextSAS and version 1.34 of ContextPref this time mostly bugs were wiped out and the look was polished. Some new features wee added:

* AutoSelect: Selects icons at the WBDesktop automatically.
    * Title: Shows the object name as title.
    * Prefeences: The internal menus can be configured now.

I gave it a quick look and found out it could be even better than the OS4 version.
But here comes the sad part. It is not in Aminet, and the author´s site vanished around 2007! So i did some searching and....

What a wonderfull creation "The Wayback Machine"!
Courtesy of them you can see some screenshots of the program and download the latest version at:
http://web.archive.org/web/20061011114947/www.and-software.de/programme_de.htm

Hope it is usefull!
Just be patient, The wayback machine is quite slow!

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2009, 07:19:13 PM »
@nyteschayde

I totally agree. Then get the permisions from the authors, make the scripts and i will put them online!

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2009, 03:27:12 AM »
@nyteschayde

PM sent! Lets give it a try! :)

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2009, 05:29:47 PM »
Yes, you will get something different! You will get the most AmigaOS 4.1 like experience one could ever get with a 68k!

I have used updates mentioned, unluckily, i didnt make a screenshot in time, and i got a harddisk failure on my 2GB 2.5" ide drive (It was too old!). Now i am in the process of rebuilding that setup on a flash disk solution.

Anyway, it depends on what you want to do:

AmigaOS 3.9 + lots of nice & cool stuff: AmiKit, AmigaSYS and ClassicWB
AmigaOS 3.9 with OS4.1 functionality: BoingBag4

Besides, on BoingBag4 there are several alternatives, for each component, so you may choose the one that suits you most!

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2009, 04:35:01 AM »
@Vulture
ContextMenus works great, see attached screenshots. I am using popupmenu.library 10.8.6. Where did you find that version, could you share that file?, perhaps that particular version triggers some bug.

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2009, 04:54:54 AM »
And... PlayCD from OS4 also works, see attached screenshot, playing audio

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2009, 04:33:02 PM »
@Vulture
I didnt create any menus configuration for ContextMenus, i simply run it!
Just tested the popupmenu.library you told me about, it doesnt work with it! Anyway, it is a 68000 version library, we should better go back using 10.8.6 which has a 020 optimized version and works well with ContextMenus.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 04:41:44 PM by Gulliver »