Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: After hearing a bit about the upcoming Windows 8...  (Read 4192 times)

Description:

Offline nicholas

Re: After hearing a bit about the upcoming Windows 8...
« on: September 28, 2011, 12:50:11 PM »
Quote from: Roj;661655
and having heard enough about it, I have to ask: Is there a version of Linux (or any other commonly used OS) that's remarkably close to the Amiga? I think Windows 7 will be my last version of Windows.

The things I find most useful are:

A GUI that doesn't force the active window to the front, and makes use of window depth gadgets. I've had enough of not being able to stack my opened windows the way *I* want them stacked.

String gadgets that don't automatically Select All on first click. I don't know how many times I was in the middle of renaming a file when Windows arbitrarily highlighted the entire line on me, and my next keystroke cleared everything I typed. I wound up loading UAE and renaming stuff from there.

Has a dual-paned file manager as standard. I'm thinking a DOpus Magellan-type manager would be fantastic.

Does its best to alleviate "click-fests" when doing file management. Renaming files in Windows 7 is a lot better, being able to tab down the list, but DOpus Magellan's method, where it essentially turns into a text editor for renaming is the most functional method I've seen to date.

Doesn't try to "help me" by automating things that don't need automation. I generally find myself getting frustrated very quickly trying to do simple file management in Windows, and I'm wanting to find something that has plenty of software support with none of the baggage and garbage that accompanies Windows.

KDE 4.x is probably the most configurable desktop available and it has a dual pane file manager called Krusader that can be installed alongside the traditional browser-like file manager.

OpenSUSE is considered by many to have the best implementation of KDE.

http://OpenSUSE.org
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline nicholas

Re: After hearing a bit about the upcoming Windows 8...
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 06:11:28 PM »
Quote from: Tripitaka;661701
Do any good solutions for running Windows within Haiku exist? Virtual machines or the like. I seem to remember that Bewine was abandoned some time ago.

http://haikuware.com/directory/view-details/emulators/computer-systems/qemu-gui-haiku
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini