Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: VA2000 Support Thread  (Read 4860 times)

Description:

Offline mntmnTopic starter

• Show all replies
VA2000 Support Thread
« on: September 08, 2017, 02:41:25 PM »
Hi everyone,

(I also posted this in EAB and will try to keep bug lists in sync).

I'm the developer of the VA2000 Open Source Amiga FPGA Graphics Card. Since December 2016 I've shipped almost 250 of the cards and a bunch of VA2000CX expansions for playing classic games through the card's HDMI out. It's been a rough trip but also very rewarding experience and I want to thank everybody for their continuing support.

I've since had a lot of email support threads solving a range of problems that can happen (after all this is Amiga ;). To make common problems and solutions accessible to more english speaking users, I'm asking you to write any remaining bugs that you encounter here, along with what Amiga model, CPU/SCSI/IDE card, OS and P96 version you use, and if you use VA2000CX or something else like Indivision. If there are visual problems, it's also important to state the used resolution and color depth.

You can always get the latest updates and drivers at http://mntmn.com/va2000/
The current firmware version is 1.7.1.
If you speak german, there is a long support thread at http://www.a1k.org/forum/showthread.php?t=57853

I will start by listing a number of known bugs and workarounds:

- 68030, slow gfx, SD performance: Cache/MMU issue.
Workaround: If you can, put "CPU NODATACACHE >NIL:" in your S:User-Startup, or use MuTools to ensure that your MMU is on. I noticed some programs switch off the 030 MMU later, so this is tricky. Disabling data cache always works.

- SCSI issues with GVP combo cards: Be sure to be on FW 1.7+. Install Guru ROM in GVP card.

- Some apps (Example: DirOpus 4) open a screen and fill it with (harmless) pixel junk: Known bug with unknown P96 related cause. Still researching a solution.

- Yellow screen with BigRam. Unknown cause. Will buy a BigRam and try to reproduce.

- Accelerated copy (move windows) in 16 and 32 bit modes sometimes miss the last pixel. Firmware bug, to be fixed in next version.

- If not using VA2000CX and playing a classic game for a while, then going back to RTG workbench will show colorful noise. Workaround: "Workbench -> Redraw all". Solution: will be fixed in next driver/FW update.

- VA2000CX flickering artifacts. Caused by timing differences of amiga models on the video slot. Try different values using va2000cx tool, then put in User-Startup: "RUN NIL: va2000cx 220" with the value that worked for you. You can also use negative values.

- VA2000CX image cropped/overscan missing: Use different va2000cx presets from http://mntmn.com/va2000/va2000cx-presets.txt

- VA2000CX image not centered. Caused by monitors' different interpretation of 640x480 mode. Use 800x600 preset from list above.

- Some people reported they can't use a FW newer than 1.4 (rare). This might be unknown bus timing issues. Not reproducible yet. Research ongoing.

- A1200 Zorro boards: These are not officially compatible, although I try my best. Boards are hard to obtain. Elbox/Winner Z4 seems incompatible. I have an RBM ONBoard 1200, which kinda works.

- Slowness with Wheel Mouse driver: Not tried to reproduce yet. Ongoing.

- NetBSD driver doesn't work with current FW. Will update.

Cheers,
Lukas

• Show all replies
Re: VA2000 Support Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2017, 08:18:15 PM »
Hi Manfred,

Quote from: asrael22;830472

Picasso96 version 2.1e (CybergraphX installed, too, but not not enabled)

I didn't test this version yet, so far I use only the official Picasso96 2.0 from Aminet for development. That could make a difference. I will test it, too, tomorrow.

I recommend to stay with the latest 1.7.1 if it shows you the Screenmodes and you get the test image. What happens if you click "Use" without Test?

Cheers
Lukas

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 08:29:00 PM »
Hi,

I just released FW1.7.2 and recommend everyone to upgrade, especially those with compatibility issues:

http://mntmn.com/va2000

You can flash your VA2000 while it is in your Amiga (and have a permanent USB lead going out), but ONLY if the PWR jumper is removed and the Amiga is turned on (for example sitting in early boot menu). Never have the PWR jumper enabled when the card is in the Amiga, as this might damage your USB port (at the least).

Cheers
Lukas / mntmn

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 04:24:22 PM »
Quote from: klx300r;831076

just flashed with this latest v1.72 and I only get a blank screen. Can boot up early setup via DVI only, HDMI says connected on my screen but see only black screen ??

Do you have a VA2000CX? If not then it's normal that you don't see anything until activating the va2000 Picasso96 Monitor and mntgfx ScreenMode. Did you install the 1.7.2 drivers, maybe reinstalled P96? What does Picasso96Mode say, does it find the card? Does the card show up in ShowConfig?

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 07:10:14 PM »
Quote from: klx300r;831089
Right now with v1.7.2 I can tell WB loaded up as the HD led flashed as normal and I can tell that 'noclick' was activated BUT I can't see anything at all on either the VA2000 screen or Indivision AGA screen

Normally VA2000 should not interfere with the native graphics output. Could you do it step-by-step:

1. Without VA2000 inserted, save a PAL HiRes screenmode (or similar).
2. Delete Libs:Picasso96, Devs:Picasso96Settings, Devs:Monitors/va2000 (or uaegfx or however you called the VA2000 monitor file)
3. Insert VA2000 and boot.
4. Do you see Workbench via Indivision?
5. Run ShowConfig to see if VA2000 is properly recognized (vendor id 28014).
6. Only then install Picasso96 freshly, selecting only "uaegfx" driver
6b. Change BoardType in Devs:Monitors/uaegfx to "mntgfx" and save
7. Copy mntgfx.card from 1.7.2 drivers archive to Libs:Picasso96
8. Copy Picasso96Settings from 1.7.2 drivers archive to Devs:
9. Run Picasso96Mode
10. Can you see the modes? Can you click Test on 1280x720 at HiColor?

If something goes wrong, please tell me at which step.

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2017, 04:42:31 PM »
Quote from: klx300r;831869
bump :hammer:

Hello,

please read the final instructions carefully. Did you try "Test" in Picasso96Mode? Which Mode did you choose? Please provide more details.

Cheers
Lukas / mntmn

• Show all replies
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2017, 01:53:53 PM »
klx300r,

OK thanks. Please try FW & Driver 1.8.2 Beta. It is very different because the driver is compiled with VBCC now and the memory model of the card is changed to completely linear, which fixes some P96 Bugs:

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?p=1192868#post1191613

Cheers
Lukas / mntmn

• Show all replies
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2017, 01:28:14 PM »
Hello again!

Firmware release 1.8.3 is now finished:
http://mntmn.com/va2000/

It brings a de-interlacer ("flicker fixer") for VA2000CX and new linear memory model, which fixes all Picasso96 related bugs and makes it compatible with all games and demos that previously showed only pixel garbage. Enjoy!

Cheers
Lukas / mntmn