Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Interview with A-Eon's Trevor Dickinson  (Read 6068 times)

Description:

Offline OlafS3

Re: Interview with A-Eon's Trevor Dickinson
« on: July 26, 2013, 12:45:56 PM »
Quote from: wawrzon;742386
thanks for honestly outlining the situation, trevor.

I am still surprised that there is still enough need for two high-prize machines after the X1000 is already sold to interested people. But he can do with his money what he wants to do.

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 02:23:42 PM »
Trevor does not want to make competition to Acube (even if he could). He will make it more expensive to protect Acubes hardware sales (he mentioned something like that)

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 04:11:52 PM »
I cannot remember the exact phrases and he did not say how much more expensive. I think he was saying that he wants not to compete with Acube even if that would be possible. And that he would use the earnings for other related projects. And he said that the successor might be cheaper (as the X1000) but that is not certain. I assume that it will be similar to X1000 (my guess).

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2013, 11:06:09 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;742527
Consider the highlight.
I was talking to Paul Gentle at about the same time Trevor (unknown to me) initially was (in my case about MPC8641/8640 SoCs, which Paul also had experience with).
And no, it wasn't Trevor's idea, it was McBill's and Ack Systems (they set the spec that the Nemo meets).
Paul, on the other hand, wanted to use Qorlq processors (and that is what the X2000 will be based on).
Don't assume you know what your talking about.
Our design was about 75% done (and oddly enough without knowing it used the same Southbridge as the X1000).
At the same time Bill Buck and at least two other parties were considering MPC8610 based boards .

What I respect is Trevor went to the right company, threw his own money in, and got it done.
And I'm really impressed with Paul Gentle.
I backed out when the estimated costs would have meant a second mortgage on my home.

And I don't care what you do or do not 'hate'.
Actions speak louder than words.

Don't want to join us?
You are free to use AROS.

PPCs have more than enough power for our demands and there is always ARM if the need to migrate occurs.

What PPC have enough power? The used Macs are not getting faster over time I assume and the new "Super-Amigas" also have "Super-Prices" and are much more expensive at the time. And then try to sell these systems to users outside the community. Propably there are reasons why MorphOS is hardly selling licenses with only few new users. It has reached the end of line. The same is for AmigaOS. They are exploiting the existing market to the limit but they will win no new users. Further stagnation and a slow decline. That is at least not my ideal and vision of the future but others seem to be accepted that, me not.

I think PPC is dead end and stays dead end. There will be no growth with PPC, no new users and no future.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 11:27:54 PM by OlafS3 »

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2013, 11:24:31 PM »
We not know what would have happened then, or when both commercial OSs would have died and all would have concentrated on one system (AROS). And it makes no sense to speculate about it. At the moment all three are more or less "undead" and should do what we can to improve the situation.