Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Complete SAM460ex System now available  (Read 5657 times)

Description:

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show all replies
Re: Complete SAM460ex System now available
« on: March 18, 2011, 02:30:55 PM »
Modern hardware is fine, its the OSes that dont always utilise it particularly well. This is in part due to the more typical reasons people will suggest (ie. the OSes are much, much more complex beasts than Amiga OS), but one thing that's overlooked is development software. In the attempts to make things easier to use more and more layers of abstraction from the hardware is used, compilers arent nearly as efficient as they once where, binaries get bigger as a result of all these unnecessary overheads and so on. I have no doubt these sorts of OSes could offer exactly the same functionailty without the massive unneccessary overheads. Its not just the bloat of the software, but the bloat of the development tools as well.
Now I dont suggest we all go back to asm or binary, hardware and software is way too complex these days for that (it'd take so long to write the kind of software people are used to that no software would ever get finished, not to mention there's way too much hardware out there), but if someone with money decides to tackle these issues and write most things from the grounds up they absolutely could carve out a user base. In short I understand why things are the way they are, but although its tricky, they dont have to be as bad as they are.
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 02:34:50 PM »
@Smerf

Retailers can only sell what's manufactured, I have no qualm with them at all. I am far from content with what passes as a modern "amiga", but that's not the retailers fault. I'd be surprised if even the bigger folk make enough to make a living from selling Amiga hardware.
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 03:27:21 PM »
Dunno about that. They (amigas) dont take as much of a (literal) beating as some other machines Ive had. Buttons fly off easily, keyboard membranes die with even the mildest of stabbings, floppy drives dont often survive intact after even one throwing at a wall. My Tandy TRS-80 though,.... man that took a pounding, mocked me, and called me a girl  :)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 04:31:31 PM by fishy_fiz »

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 04:30:55 PM »
Quote from: Franko;622856
Hmm a talking VIC 20... :confused:

I've just asked the squirrels and they said there's no such thing... ;)

Maybe it has a speech pack cartridge.
Personally I think you put too much faith in talking squirrels. Theyre charismatic, but dont let them charm you. 4 out of 10 talking squirrles arent to be trusted.