Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Bastards!!!  (Read 15210 times)

Description:

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
Re: Bastards!!!
« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2010, 12:41:31 PM »
But are they inglorious?
int p; // A

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2010, 12:42:50 PM »
:)
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline zosodk69

• Show only replies by zosodk69
« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2010, 01:45:29 PM »
I'm red with anger about this decision by Sony!  "Other OS" was an advertised feature that influenced my purchasing decision.  I spend roughly 50% of my time in the PS3 in the Other OS environment.

I hear a lot of people pointing out that productivity applications on PS3 Linux are rather pointless due to the abysmal performance.  What PS3 Linux does fairly well though is emulation.  In the last couple months I played through all three Turricans via e-uae.  I recently played through TMNT under sdlmame with my neighbor.  NES/SNES emulation works well too.  Vintage gaming with a Six-Axis on my 52" LCD!  That is what drew me to PS3 Linux.

In addition to Vintage gaming, I play online with relatives via the Playstation Network.  Now I'm being told by Sony that I have to choose which advertised feature I like better.

I have to reiterate: this was an advertised feature!  It's on the box, in the manual, and in Sony's marketing literature!

Offline Amiga1200User

• Show only replies by Amiga1200User
« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2010, 02:40:19 PM »
Did anyone actually look at the date?? April 1st. April Fools Day????

I read the article and the first thing that pops out is the April 1st date.

Looks to me like someone is pulling a fast one on the BBC..

I gotta tell you, there are some passionate people here. Maybe if we could get all these passionate people together, would could actually develop some seriously good software for Amiga OS 4.1 or something.

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Darrin
« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2010, 03:18:54 PM »
Quote from: Trev;550507
I use my PS3 primarily as a Blu-Ray player, but I'm sure Sony will kill that feature eventually as well. ;-) (And in the United States, the PS3 is heavily marketed as a Blu-Ray player. Of course, most salesmen will tell you that it can't be better than X dedicated Blu-Ray player, but that's mostly perception. Most people won't have their displays tuned to the point that it makes a difference. The image is awesome on my 55" Samsung 8500.)

A number of universities and governments use PS3s for analytical computing, but with mainstream x64 processors coming with 8, 12, and more cores, and mainstream graphics cards carrying hundreds of stream processors, the Cell (as it exists in the PS3) isn't much of a win apart from the price.

Same here.  I'm not much of a gamer (unless it is WoW on my PC) so my PS3 is attached to my plasma TV for Blu-Ray movies and to stream AVI files wirelessly from my main desktop hard drive to my TV using the Vuze software.

Disabling Linux doesn't bother me (but aren't we all glad that OS4.x wasn't ported to the pS3 ;) ), but they'd better not mess with Vuze.
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.

Offline cpfuture

• Show only replies by cpfuture
« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2010, 04:23:27 PM »
Quote from: Amiga1200User;550546
Did anyone actually look at the date?? April 1st. April Fools Day????

I read the article and the first thing that pops out is the April 1st date.

Finally. It surprised me it took 4 pages of this thread before someone noticed that. Obviously this is a prank by Sony. They're probably laughing their asses off right now at forum postings all over the net of people losing it.

guest7146

« Reply #50 on: March 31, 2010, 05:27:03 PM »
I doubt they would want to spread bad feeling about their company as an April Fool's joke.  The joke would be on them, surely?

Offline koshman

• Show only replies by koshman
« Reply #51 on: March 31, 2010, 05:35:59 PM »
@ cpfuture: Are you serious? Even I don't find it funny and I'm a nerd. I really doubt overpaid businessmen at Sony would come up with something that lame...
- Radim

A600 - 68020/33, 10MB RAM, 3.1, 2GB SD

Offline Hattig

• Show only replies by Hattig
« Reply #52 on: March 31, 2010, 05:50:04 PM »
Quote from: rossi46;550463
I don't see what the big deal is, tbh. Can you still play games on it? Use your machine for what it was intended and dry your eyes.

So what if Sony dictates what can or can't be done on its machine?

You don't buy a DVD player then bitch that it doesn't make toast. Play games on your PS3 and be happy.

I'd complain if I bought a DVD player that was advertised as having an integrated toaster function, and then a firmware update disabled the toaster at a later date.

Offline koshman

« Reply #53 on: March 31, 2010, 05:55:00 PM »
@ Hattig: I hate the smell of burning bread when watching movies, don't you? :D
- Radim

Offline Pyromania

• Sent from my Quantum Computer
    • Show only replies by Pyromania
    • http://www.discreetfx.com
« Reply #54 on: March 31, 2010, 06:38:44 PM »
I'm calling this an April Fools joke too.

Offline TensionTopic starter

« Reply #55 on: March 31, 2010, 06:49:06 PM »
Quote from: Pyromania;550570
I'm calling this an April Fools joke too.

Come on.

You don't really think Sony would give itself and its shareholders some bad press just for shits and giggles?

Offline tone007

« Reply #56 on: March 31, 2010, 06:59:36 PM »
...channelling...

"We are Sony! You buy our products and we spit on you and you'll like it and buy more of our products because we are number one!"

*pats his VAIO laptop* yeah...
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever

Offline Colani1200

• Show only replies by Colani1200
« Reply #57 on: March 31, 2010, 07:00:16 PM »
Quote from: Trev;550507
A number of universities and governments use PS3s for analytical computing, but with mainstream x64 processors coming with 8, 12, and more cores, and mainstream graphics cards carrying hundreds of stream processors, the Cell (as it exists in the PS3) isn't much of a win apart from the price.

The price in fact is a problem and probably one of the reasons for their decision. Sony looses money with every PS3 they sell, they only make profit with games. All the Linux powered PS3 clusters coming up without games being sold ruin their business case.

Offline scuzzb494

« Reply #58 on: March 31, 2010, 07:14:07 PM »
I bought my PS3 to play games on. SONY make magic kit so if it helps them contunue making fantastic kit and prevent hackers from mucking up my system or disabling the network for some reason then good for them. The PS3 is a games machine... And is sold as a games machine and DVD player. Of late the machine has more browser features and I guess these facilities are ever going to be expanded. If folk want a third party use for any machine then they probably need to use a home grown system unbadged without its own operating system.

So no they are not what you called them. They in fact sell a machine that gives me hours of pleasure... Currently Final Fantasy XIII, before that Bayonetta... next up God of War and on and on.

What I do object to and would use the B word is the BBC iPlayer on the PS3. The BBC should be disbanded or run as a commercial operation and stop taking money from me to support their outdated, bloated, unproductive, self indulgent load of crap. I haven`t watched BBC since 1995 so why should I pay for it. Now that is something worth moaning about.

scuzz

Offline koshman

« Reply #59 from previous page: March 31, 2010, 07:27:35 PM »
@ scuzzb494: Amen...
- Radim