Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga in Your very cellphone  (Read 7047 times)

Description:

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show all replies
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
Re: Amiga in Your very cellphone
« on: February 13, 2009, 12:57:07 PM »
I used to run PocketUAE on my HP iPAQ 4150, it ran at about A500 speed. Quite good really. I wouldn't mind UAE on my iPhone, but Apple don't allow Emulators at this time (I expect apple will review this policy in time), but I would only use it for bragging rights mostly... Actual ports to the native system is more desireable IMO, take note of Pinball Dreams which is a faithful port and the gfx have been improved for the more advanced gfx of the iPhone!

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 03:25:21 PM »

DiskDoctor wrote:
@ persia

Why do all of you hate Windows Mobile platform huh?

I mean... I also used to dislike this.  My wife had this HTC with qwerty keyboard for over a year but recently I simply stole it and gave her my Nokia E65.

I know WM is really dull compared for Symbian feel / performance / support.
But hey, those cells start ruling the world!!  With Microsoft support, also targeted for business (Exchange/ActiveSyns/DirectPush technology), it's getting closer to the consumer.  Also, after iPhone launch, all of a sudden, ALL mobile players started making clones of it! HTC has a new WM Touch line, roughly positioned close to iPhone audience and it works; last year in my country I saw ads of HTC Touch as a phone for women(!).

One more thing - in last two years ALL the other mobile vendors started to support WM - Samsung (i600), LG (KS20), Motorola (Q9h), SE (X1) - expect lot more this year.  So that would be my choice.  It's not about preference, it's about platform's potential.

So yes, win mobile is dull but at least - it is more stable and growing.  Consider also one thing. Windows Mobile Professional edition has a touch UI design.  So all (most) touch cell phones with OSes now are WM Pros, plus iPhone, maybe one Nokia more.  This is crucial while attempt to emulate mouse - gets closer to the desktop as Palm/iPaq palmtops were those days...

WinMobile is a horrible and dated OS... M$ have a dinosaur with it... it's not as nice as either Symbian or OSX... I have yet to use Linux (aka android etc) on a mobile platform

Why no one mentions Symbian for a change?  iPhone share gets still, there are two Google phones to date (one made in Australia) , this is really little... Other Linuxes... I know Motorola has a few Linux/JUIX phones (like Z8) but... I cannot imagine Amiga on it.

@ bloodline

Apple did "release" their iPhone OSX system some months after launch so yes, it is now FULLY open for developers.  So you could make anything to work on iPhone, Apple Inc. wouldn't mind really.

You are quite right, I can develop anything I like. I have the iPhone SDK here. But I can only distribute my Apps to other iPhone (and iPod touch) users via Apple. I can give my app to 100 other people, as per my SDK licence, and as long as I can have physical access to their phone/ipod...

Apple will not publish an App that violates their Terms and conditions. And right now their terms and condition do NOT allow Emualtors.

Native ports... how many?  And sum all the figure$... :(

There are over 20000 Apps avaiable for the iPhone/Ipod touch, right now... I can't count them all...

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 04:19:43 PM »

DiskDoctor wrote:

bloodline wrote:

WinMobile is a horrible and dated OS... M$ have a dinosaur with it... it's not as nice as either Symbian or OSX... I have yet to use Linux (aka android etc) on a mobile platform

I DO agree it's dull and targeted to elderly mid-level managers but, as I was saying...  It is a matter of a market share, for a start.  If it succeeds, you will notice mobileUAE on all the platforms, all of a sudden...

It has nothing to do with Being dull... it's old, it uses old paradigms, old APIs... imagine running Win3.11 on your latest PC... That's what WinMobile is like, when compared with modern Mobile OSs... like OSX for example.

WinMobile Shmobile... but if it (UAE) works...  One guy here (did you?) mentioned Pocket UAE was cool on old Pocket PC.  So what's the story?  Hatred to Bill??

??? :-? Yes, I used to run PocketUAE on my old iPAQ 4150... so what? Amiga software isn't suited to the mobile platform, they prefer joysticks, mice and keyboards... not touch screens... Amiga software is not meant to be used in a mobile environment and really needs reworking to get the best out of it... you can search the photo archive on this site to see photos of my running PocketUAE, games and the OS.

Amiga software, via UAE/etc... is not going to be popular on any mobile platform FULL STOP... Also I like my mobile games to be 3D now... it's just more fun on my iPhone.

You are quite right, I can develop anything I like. I have the iPhone SDK here. But I can only distribute my Apps to other iPhone (and iPod touch) users via Apple. I can give my app to 100 other people, as per my SDK licence, and as long as I can have physical access to their phone/ipod...

Apple will not publish an App that violates their Terms and conditions. And right now their terms and condition do NOT allow Emualtors.

This sucks then, but... what makes an emulator an emulator???  If you sell iUAE BUNDELED and bound with specific game blah blah blah... it is not an emulator anymore!! :) Like this iPhone Pinball Dreams mentioned here... And Apple lawyers could then go and funk theirselves!

Read the SDK licence, you basically can't interpret code via any other method than using the APIs and Frameworks provided by Apple... and until Apple provide a 68k emu framework with OSX... that puts UAE out...

Native ports... how many?  And sum all the figure$... :(

There are over 20000 Apps avaiable for the iPhone/Ipod touch, right now... I can't count them all...

True but what I meant was the amount of $$ that has (will/would) to be spent to have a 50-games Amiga collection "for the native os" - 500$??

Oh... no idea... if you had the original source and data files... it probably wouldn't take more than a month to port an Amiga game to the iPhone... a bit longer to beta test it... Most amiga Games were not that complex...

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 04:51:06 PM »

LoadWB wrote:
bloodline wrote:

Amiga software, via UAE/etc... is not going to be popular on any mobile platform FULL STOP... Also I like my mobile games to be 3D now... it's just more fun on my iPhone.

Are you not, then, completely ignoring the success of the so-called "retro" games market?  Retro-arcade bundles and downloadable games for consoles are doing very well.  Not to mention the MAME universe, and so on.

A good game does not rely solely on its graphics abilities, but on the timelessness, ingenuity, and playability of the game.

I said nothing about the quality of gfx provided Amiga games! Reread my post! The input method of Amiga games needs to be reworked for mobile platforms, which are predominantly touch screen!

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 07:32:31 PM »

DiskDoctor wrote:
WM sucks thoroughly compared for iPhone, also Symbian, Android maybe.

But we're off the topic now --> I can talk but let us shift to the other forum since it is about emulation :)

My summary on UAE mobile again:

- Windows Mobile: targeted for business mainly, big figures sold, high growth, lots of devices and vendors already, reliable and stable system, current games are great, despite of the whole system mUAE would work fast and smooth

Well PocketUAE is here now for WM... it has been around since 2004... it has never been popular.

- iPhone OSX: best gaming performance (ever!), significant market share (3rd not counting BB), but legal issues
- Linux (what's a LiMO anyway?): good idea, several handhelds but yet too few, future uncertain (remember Linux), UAE seamless portability
- Symbian: main WM rival, nice devices (mainly Nokia, some SE, a few Motorola and Samsung), great UI / performance (worse than iPhone, though), great gaming / dev capabilities, my 2nd favorite
- BlackBerry: not a mortal man uses it, except for the US
- PalmOS: dead and PalmWEB changed flags to Linux
- J2ME: no controll over device UI, low-end etc...

I really hope (and would donate such project or do some myself) this whole mUAE idea works.

Remember: This may be a GREAT CHANCE FOR AMIGA TO APPEAR ALL OVER AGAIN!
Tomorrow. On a mobile near you.

Please be real! :-)

The Amiga (no matter how much we love it) is never going to be a popular platform again.

The only people interested in the Amiga now are us, and there are probably only about 6000 max left.

If you have ever played games like Enigmo, Rolando or TouchPhysics on the iPhone you will see how modern games take advantage of modern interfaces (as available on modern devices) like touch screens, tilt sensors and audio input... not to mention that the "always on" internet connection of the iPhone allows for great multiplayer action, including MMORPGs!!! The iPhone also has graphics and audio capabilities that were unthinkable on the Amiga...

The world has moved on... Just as the Amiga moved people on from the days of the Sinclair Spectrum and C64... and the new games which that allowed... Modern platforms will move us on again!

The world has moved on

*EDIT Would someone PLEASE help me on these smilies/saddies?? I don't get it how to place them.

Smilies have noses... :-)

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 08:23:15 PM »

DiskDoctor wrote:
@ bloodline

PocketUAE... WinMobile was NEVER so popular as it is now... Back in 2004... Only hobbyists (IT people, management) had palmtops, majority of the market was rather industrial but time has changed! WMs are now both common and reachable. What else for a base?

A few years ago only geeks had Mobile devices... Geeks are prepared to mess around with Emulators... Now the common person has mobile devices... common People don't want emulators, don't care about some old game they never played before, that  they won't have.. You can't sell Amiga games or Amiga ROMs...

The market for UAE on mobile devices is smaller now than it was years ago.

Man, don't tell me those things of Amiga demise anymore...  I do believe some freaky Amiga-grown Entrepreneur will buy a McEwen a decent BMV, get the brand and resurrect it - just for fun.  

Amiga as a brand is dead, it is worthless. No one will pay what McEwen wants for it.

You really never know, history tells it...  Like Java 25 years ago... "unsuccessful project of system for fridges"...

Java is 14 years old, and was NEVER meant for fridges.

Please do not thrash my weekend!! :-)

You can't live in a bubble... face facts and enjoy what the Amiga means to us! Forget about forcing Amiga down the throats of people who don't care and don't want it!

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show all replies
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 08:32:46 PM »

aggro_mix wrote:
One advantage WM has over other mobile OS:es is the integration with Exchange. As the current trend seem to be dropping Lotus Notes (at least in northern Europe) for Micro$oft we will most likely see more phones with WM. I wouldn't be too surprised if there are more re-badged HTC phones than X1 in a near future.

My iPhone has Exchange integration... Push Email/Calendar and Contacts, works perfectly and is actually brilliant :-)

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show all replies
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2009, 12:14:00 AM »

DiskDoctor wrote:

bloodline wrote:

A few years ago only geeks had Mobile devices... Geeks are prepared to mess around with Emulators... Now the common person has mobile devices... common People don't want emulators, don't care about some old game they never played before, that  they won't have.. You can't sell Amiga games or Amiga ROMs...

No way! If you market stuff properly, mobile people would buy it without giving it a think. I can see how many mobile crap games are being sold in this very second! I see everywhere on a TV five-second ads about Premium texting for 5$ to get a silly James Bond recent game. People drink a beer or two and... have fun or excitement for 5$... no matter all they get is a crap... what matters is the futuristic way they got it...

Hang on!! All you are selling is the Emulator...
The people who buy this Emulator then have to buy an Amiga ROM... and then have to search Ebay to find a copy of some game they probably don't know about (if you are under 25 you will have NO idea what an Amiga is...)... And then they need an Amiga to rip the Amiga Floppy Game to an ADF... then they have to upload the ADF to the device... then they have to configure the Emulator...

You expect the average user to waste time with that when... for example... I can spend two minutes on the App store on my iPhone find a brand new totally innovative game for £1.99 download and install it immediately... then play it...

You have to wake up here!!!

I really worked for two years in mobile industry and know how many pieces of particular mobile software sold daily needs to yield positive ROI... People WASTE money on mobile, because mobile operators told them VAS is what they want and they did it well.

Don't be stupid, people don't waste money... they might make stupid purchasing decisions, but someone needs to spend serious marketing dollars to get them to do it!

mUAE if proprietary hopefully, will have guts to get through the whole marketing machine and eventually reach figures.  I see no much distinction between mUAE and any other mobile arcades, I thought it was already said here clearly enough...

mUAE will have no software... be difficult to set up and use... and the controls won't be suited to a mobile platform in anyway...

Amiga as a brand is dead, it is worthless. No one will pay what McEwen wants for it.

I don't. But if the guy lets it go, who knows who will eventually pick it next...  We're getting older :-) and richer :-) :-) If I had 10M$ now I would spend all on this Amiga reanimation, believe me.  On the other hand things like this make me keep on tryin'

It would be your money to waste, and good luck to you! But even if I had $100M I wouldn't waste it on the defunct brand. I would push money into a 68k version of AROS, and then include it with UAE for the community.

Java is 14 years old, and was NEVER meant for fridges.

Maybe an urban legend what I said but it was, indeed, targeted to a set-top
boxes... Maybe the thing before Java name...  I can recall I heard the story during my studies...  What an asshole the lecturer guy!

To be honest it doesn't matter, Java is something totally different to the point you were getting at.

You can't live in a bubble... face facts and enjoy what the Amiga means to us! Forget about forcing Amiga down the throats of people who don't care and don't want it!

Hope is never insanity.

Hope without reason is insanity.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show all replies
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2009, 09:34:05 AM »

DiskDoctor wrote:

bloodline wrote:

Hang on!! All you are selling is the Emulator...
The people who buy this Emulator then have to buy an Amiga ROM... and then have to search Ebay to find a copy of some game they probably don't know about (if you are under 25 you will have NO idea what an Amiga is...)... And then they need an Amiga to rip the Amiga Floppy Game to an ADF... then they have to upload the ADF to the device... then they have to configure the Emulator...

If it is about sales, I didn't say this business plan would be easy, in fact it's extremely complicated!  So another way, maybe there's just a need for free PocketUAE up-to-date only?

Sure, PocketUAE was little more than the SDL target, built for the WinMobile platform... with some work to map the controls to the device...

Honestly, if there really was any interest, don't you think someone would bother keeping it updated? I used it, I thought it was quite fun... but it is VERY CPU intensive and kills the battery... The time spent trying to get UAE to work would be better spent porting or cloning your favorite Amiga game to your Mobile device...

My personal thought are about taking the OpenSource MegaLoMania clone to the iPhone... But I would have to either buy the rights to the GFX/Audio or (perhaps better) remake them...

Link:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mark.harman/comp_mlm.html

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show all replies
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2009, 08:51:09 PM »
@Diskdoctor

Fine, let's say you restore the PocketUAE build.... How do you get past the fact that UAE will easily consume a mobile battery in about 15min... Probably less on on iPhone (a notorious battery hog)... No one loves a game so much that they will sacrifice their device to less than half an hour's gaming...

Both the iPhone and PSP get many hours of hardcore high frame rate 3D native gameplay before killing the battery!!!

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show all replies
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2009, 10:11:03 PM »

DiskDoctor wrote:
@ bloodline:

I disagree. I do not believe that yet another smartphone application not using any radio will kill the battery.  Batteries are more resistant those days.

My Windows Mobile cell lives for three days.  It is simply not possible to me that UAE would dry it out in an hour... Sometimes I play games and the phone still works for some time.  This standby/active factor is not as demonic as you say.

:lol: Build PocketUAE for your Smartphone... My old iPAQ had a 1500mAH, and a 450Mhz CPU... PocketUAE is a very CPU intensive app... it easily took the battery from full to empty in little under 20min...

My iPhone has a 1500mAH battery and a 412MHz CPU... if I run a CPU intensive app, I'm lucky to get an hour...

You clearly have no idea how Emulators work, you admit to never having used PocketUAE... And yet you still believe they your idea has merit... it doesn't. Now focus on something realistic!!!

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show all replies
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2009, 05:56:19 PM »

mdwh2 wrote:

bloodline wrote:

Although I'm not sure how "more people have mobile devices" means that there are now less "geeks" around...?

The geeks have moved on... devices are now aims at the consumer...

Amiga software is not meant to be used in a mobile environment and really needs reworking to get the best out of it
Indeed this is a problem, but there are phones out there with keyboards, the question is how to map joystick and mouse to those (could it be done with touchscreen?) I don't think it's an impossible problem to overcome.

It isn't impossible, but the Amiga had two user input ports that could accept a range of input devices... commonly a mouse and a joystick... the Emulator has no idea what the software expects to be plugged in... thus you need to implement complex menu offering the user various options and emulations of different devices... it is now getting complex and tedious for any user and don't forget the small screen space... This is not going to become mainstream.

Oh... no idea... if you had the original source and data files... it probably wouldn't take more than a month to port an Amiga game to the iPhone... a bit longer to beta test it... Most amiga Games were not that complex...
They were also mostly written in assembler, which makes porting a lot harder. And more than a month per game is still expensive, compared to the time spent porting an emulator (which is written in portable C), which can then run most games.

(Note that the source to some games has been released, but when it's in assembler, I've yet to see ports - e.g., I'd love to see a port of Alien Breed 3D 2, but despite the source code being released years ago, has anyone managed to port it? Unfortunately it was written entirely in assembler...)

That's not to say there's anything wrong with porting or remaking games of course, as a programmer I've attempted the latter myself. But I can see advantages to the emulator route.

Even the effort to port the ASM source to c/c++/Objective-C would be more worth it than the disadvantages of the Emulator.

The world has moved on... Just as the Amiga moved people on from the days of the Sinclair Spectrum and C64... and the new games which that allowed... Modern platforms will move us on again!

The world has moved on
Well, you're reading a forum entitled "Amiga emulation", I'm not surprised that people here are going to have an interest in emulation ;)

I think Emulation is a fascinating topic, and is now by far the most important aspect of the Amiga experience... BUT, that is not what DiskDoctor is talking about. see below.

Now having said all this, I don't think that Amiga emulation would have any effect for an "Amiga" platform (whatever that might be), and I'm not sure I follow whatever commercial plan DiskDoctor is suggesting (I think it's far better done just as a port of UAE). Although I can see that DiskDoctor makes an interesting point: currently on mobile platforms, people seem to pay money for all kinds of simple games, or even crappy ringtones.

DiskDoctor is suggesting that an Amiga Emulator on mobile platforms is a commercial idea... it isn't;

1. An Amiga Emulator will (and does) kill a battery dead in minutes.
2. The input method of Amiga software is not suited to the mobile platform.
3. The Software is not easily available, both the OS and the games... much of which is in legal limbo...
4. Software is difficult to get from it's original medium (Amiga Floppy) to the mobile device.
5. Most of the mobile game buying market has never heard of an "Armoooger"...

motorollin wrote:
DiskDoctor wrote:
2) someone must have been using this for real

Yes. But not on an iPhone, because Apple won't allow it.
That's the Iphone for you. There are plenty of other phones.

A lot of this "It can't be done!" talk reminds me of similar talk for PCs around 10 or more years ago - that even though other platforms could be emulated, there was something special about the Amiga that made it unemulateable.

it was impossible with the level of technology 15 years ago (there is just so much going on inside the Amiga, and it all has to happen at precise times)... by 10 years ago... 1999, I ran DOSUAE on a P233... and it was amazing... better than a real Amiga... it has only got better since.

Of course, it was only a matter of years before not only could it be done, but soon WinUAE was running rings around even the fastest Amiga. And whilst a few people still cling to the idea that "But a real Amiga still feels better, an emulator can't reproduce that!", mostly it is seen as a bit laughable to claim that a PC is unable to do Amiga emulation, and the idea that it was ever considered impossible is seen as laughable.

Mobile platforms are still relatively primitive, but CPUs still continue to increase exponentially in performance.

Mobile platforms have the performance already... but batteries don't... the usefulness of a mobile platform is governed by battery life.

Daedalus wrote:
Hell, it's only in the last few years that PCs have become powerful enough to emulate a higher up Amiga satisfactorily.
Note that it's been 9 years since an emulating PC has outperformed even the fastest 68060 Amiga, let alone an A500 that's sufficient for most games ( http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys.amiga.advocacy/browse_frm/thread/662e0ab899bfc1cb?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=utf-8 ), though I don't know how chipset issues compared to that.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show all replies
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2009, 06:05:47 PM »

mdwh2 wrote:
I'm curious about the CPU/power issue. I can quite believe that something like UAE would kill the battery quick on phones, but how do intensive real time games manage to use so much less?

The mobile games use the interfaces provided by the mobile device vendor to ensure minimum battery usage.

Remember that UAE only uses 100% CPU if you set the option to allow it to use as much as possible. If I select the "Match A500 speed" option, then even with Sound set to 100% accurate, when running a game on WinUAE I get about 5% CPU usage (i.e., 10% of a single core).

The ARM in a mobile device is a simple CPU, generally in-order single issue. The CPU on your desktop is able to push probably 8 instructions through in a single cycle, per core!!!

OTOH, when running native real time games on Windows, the CPU is often maxed out at 50% (i.e., using all of one core). If mobile games are managing to use less power compared with UAE when the "Match A500 speed" option is set (were the tests done with this option?), then there must be more to the story - perhaps particular efficiency in games written for mobiles, or it's not simply about CPU usage?

The desktop and the mobile platforms are different beasts... you can't compare apples and oranges.

Whatever the answer is, any port/remake of a game on a mobile platform would have to take this into account - otherwise the chances are that any such port/remake of a game, even though it's no longer emulated, would still hog the battery just as much.

No... think about it for one second... a native game just has to call the mobile platform's blit() function to draw an image to the screen... in the emulator the same game will have not call the native blit() function but all the mechanisms that the Amiga used to draw the image on the screen... and still maintain timing... thus requires something like 100 times the amount of work!!!

Do you know how Emulators work?

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show all replies
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2009, 06:08:44 PM »

persia wrote:
@DiskDoctor

It's 2009, nothing we do here is of any relevance to the current year, we're not here because of relevance.  I for one think it would be neat to have an Amiga emulator on a mobile.  It would be fun, that's enough.

I second that!

The point I am arguing against is potential for any commercial success from any such venture.

I'd obviously love UAE on my iPhone... but I wouldn't really be able to use it away from a power source, and I would prefer to have the games I use native to the iPhone itself.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show all replies
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2009, 02:16:53 PM »

DiskDoctor wrote:

bloodline wrote:

persia wrote:
@DiskDoctor

It's 2009, nothing we do here is of any relevance to the current year, we're not here because of relevance.  I for one think it would be neat to have an Amiga emulator on a mobile.  It would be fun, that's enough.

I second that!

The point I am arguing against is potential for any commercial success from any such venture.

I'd obviously love UAE on my iPhone... but I wouldn't really be able to use it away from a power source, and I would prefer to have the games I use native to the iPhone itself.

Yeah maybe I started the topic with something that goes at the end, or doesn't.

I 199% agree on that working UAE on mobile should be useful, if not, this is just another fancy freak to be shown to your pals at the party.  Maybe I went too far with my claims.  I will try to make a test on my Smartphone, that's all.  If it fails, I will give up this.

Or maybe...  Does Amithlon boot into 1.3 kick??  Maybe that's a shorter path on Linux-powered mobile phones, like Android?

Amithlon is both a dead project from a legal and technical POV, and also only for x86... it is only little use on ARM power mobile devices.

@ bloodline

Please, stick off the iPhone thing!  

:-?

The market is broader, that's for sure.

There is no market for UAE on mobile devices...

And the share seems not following the device's performance.  I love iPhone but as I said here many times, this discussion is about potential, not performance and usability.  

Potential for what?

99.9999998% of the mobile device owning population are not interested in running some old obscure emulator on their mobile devices...

The idea has geek value... but it has been proven that it can be done, and now everyone has moved on.

Here is another geek project you might enjoy:

http://www.frazpc.pl/b/232621