Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Was thinking of a cool idea... then came up with another!  (Read 4252 times)

Description:

Offline slaapliedjeTopic starter

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by slaapliedje
Was thinking of a cool idea... then came up with another!
« on: January 10, 2014, 03:57:51 AM »
So I've purchased a Raspberry Pi a while back and have been trying to think of an awesome idea for the project.  Kind of wanted to do something Amiga related, but not sure what.  And also to do something a bit more electronically inclined.

Then it dawned on me, one thing I missed about the Atari Jaguar was the Virtual Light Machine, so I went about looking into making a laser light show with the Pi.  So in looking for the hardware to do it, I found these RGB LED strips, and in one post someone was saying they didn't really need it to control the full 4096 colors... then it really hit me... Why not do a Light show with RGB LED strips of Amiga Demos!

Depending on the speed of the control of the strips, how awesome would it be to do something like the spaceballs demo on a wall covered in strips of RBG LEDs.  Not sure how feasible the project is, but I think it'd be epic!

slaapliedje
A4000D: Mediator 4000Di; Voodoo 3, ZorRAM 128MB, 10/100mb Ethernet, Spider 2. Cyberstorm PPC 060/50 604e/420.

Offline slaapliedjeTopic starter

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by slaapliedje
Re: Was thinking of a cool idea... then came up with another!
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 04:23:00 AM »
Thinking particularly of something like this;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=c7GbKRInPFE

slaapliedje
A4000D: Mediator 4000Di; Voodoo 3, ZorRAM 128MB, 10/100mb Ethernet, Spider 2. Cyberstorm PPC 060/50 604e/420.

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 09:59:32 AM »
Maybe that could be a project for the X1000's Xena.
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 10:06:02 AM »
Quote from: slaapliedje;756742
So I've purchased a Raspberry Pi a while back and have been trying to think of an awesome idea for the project.  Kind of wanted to do something Amiga related, but not sure what.  And also to do something a bit more electronically inclined.

Then it dawned on me, one thing I missed about the Atari Jaguar was the Virtual Light Machine, so I went about looking into making a laser light show with the Pi.  So in looking for the hardware to do it, I found these RGB LED strips, and in one post someone was saying they didn't really need it to control the full 4096 colors... then it really hit me... Why not do a Light show with RGB LED strips of Amiga Demos!

Depending on the speed of the control of the strips, how awesome would it be to do something like the spaceballs demo on a wall covered in strips of RBG LEDs.  Not sure how feasible the project is, but I think it'd be epic!

slaapliedje

Have you already tried Aeros on it? From what I read it becomes very usable today.

@Kesa
Are you serious with it? Developing something that only runs on 3000$ hardware?

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 10:28:37 AM »
Quote from: OlafS3;756758
Have you already tried Aeros on it? From what I read it becomes very usable today.

@Kesa
Are you serious with it? Developing something that only runs on 3000$ hardware?

But it doesn't only run of $3000 hardware. Xcore chips/kits that connect to pc via usb are very cheap.

I don't know much about this i just thought it looked similar to some projects from the xcore website:  http://www.xmos.com/en/applications/industrial#possibilities-industrial-led

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2014, 10:32:44 AM »
Quote from: Kesa;756760
But it doesn't only run of $3000 hardware. Xcore chips/kits that connect to pc via usb are very cheap.

I don't know much about this i just thought it looked similar to some projects from the xcore website:  http://www.xmos.com/en/applications/industrial#possibilities-industrial-led

I am not a expert in stuff like this but I think Xena can only automatically manipulate signals but is not a real controller (as I understand it). I assume he is interested in doing something on a amiga-platform so "Xena" would limit it to "X" hardware.

I have looked inside your link... might be that it is possible. But then using a PC would make more sense.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 10:37:26 AM by OlafS3 »

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2014, 10:39:04 AM »
Yep, you're right. I'm a big fan of the X1000 so i'm always trying to think of things the X1000 and Xena can do so i'm completely biased in this area ;)

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2014, 10:40:22 AM »
Quote from: Kesa;756763
Yep, you're right. I'm a big fan of the X1000 so i'm always trying to think of things the X1000 and Xena can do so i'm completely biased in this area ;)

lol :-)

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2014, 10:46:48 AM »

I do not know if he really needs a real-time device for what he is thinking at. Besides there is only 64k RAM on it (when i remember right) so it is limited in any case. Perhaps he could use his Raspberry with AROS or even something like SAM or another PPC based system for controlling. I programmed a simple controller some time ago that activated and deactivated lights and it was controlled by sending codes with serial port. Today there are propably even more modern and affordable solutions that would be enough for his purpose and can be controlled by any system without needing special drivers and tools.

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2014, 11:04:16 AM »

C-Control looks interesting:
http://www.conrad.de/ce/de/content/c_control_pro/C-Control-PRO?WT.ac=beratung_markenshop_c_control

includes RS232 for sending software/parameters to the controller and getting back values

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2014, 11:22:56 AM »
You are obviously interested in this. You should live the dream and just go for it!

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2014, 11:34:33 AM »
You don't need the 1800 quid dongle, just the XMOS xcore and a USD 100 programming device.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20007630-1.html

Quote from: OlafS3;756762
I am not a expert in stuff like this but I think Xena can only automatically manipulate signals but is not a real controller (as I understand it). I assume he is interested in doing something on a amiga-platform so "Xena" would limit it to "X" hardware.

I have looked inside your link... might be that it is possible. But then using a PC would make more sense.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2014, 02:05:16 PM »

Nice to see your sense of humor returning.
Personally, I've always found Xena a bit silly, but XMOS devices can be added to any platform (or used by themselves).
A cheap ARM board might also serve.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline Astral

• Show only replies by Astral
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2014, 09:54:05 PM »
Quote from: Kesa;756772
You are obviously interested in this. You should live the dream and just go for it!

Very well put Kesa! Straight to the point, simple, and supportive.

Maybe that can be your new saying :D

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com